Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/12/2002 6:37:48 AM EDT
Any Harvard faculty here?  I ran across this quote attributed to Wm. F. Buckley Jr:

"I would sooner live in a society governed by the first two thousand names in the Boston telephone directory than in a society governed by the two thousand faculty members of Harvard University"

Ouch!  [;)]
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 7:28:01 AM EDT
[#1]
There is a great quote regarding the direct participation of Harvard graduates in the war they had such a policy impact on: Vietnam. I've been looking for it with no success so far, but it's by James Webb, former Marine grunt platoon commander and Reagan era Secretary of the Navy.

It's something to do with the great number of names of Marines on the South Boston Vietnam Memorial, and how few Harvard graduates served in any branch of the military during the Vietnam years. Basically, to the effect that such a large number of men from one small neighborhood gave their lives while such a small number from an organization that basically brought us the war in the first place even served at all.

I'll keep looking.
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 7:31:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Jarhead, was that in "Fields of Fire"?  The quote sounds familiar.  It may have been some other or later work though.
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 7:34:16 AM EDT
[#3]
It might have been. I'll be digging for it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top