Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/11/2002 7:49:34 PM EDT
Parkerizing tank.  Mmmm.  Today I learned a very valuable lesson.  Please take the time to learn from my mistake, or at least laugh at it.

Early this morning, about 12:30pm, I had a FN FAL to parkerize, along with some stuff from Cavalry Arms.  I was doing an extractor for the FAL when I accidently (read: Big fucking mistake) dropped it onto the bottom of the tank.  No big deal I thought...

Well, I fished around using these thick rubber gloves for about 3 minutes but I couldn't feel the part through the gloves and the tank was too cloudy to see it properly.  Good ole' Jojo.

So I went and got me a nice little magnet to fish it out with.  Excuse my poor writing style, you'll find out why I'm feeling loopy in a few.  While fishing for the tiny little piece in the 200 Degree solution, water overflows the top of the glove turning my arm into a nice piece of Pork Rind, Mmmm, crunchy.

It hurt, to say the least, but I didn't see a doctor even though my arm looks like Freddy  Kruegers face.  Worried about infection?  So am I, but I have been changing the wraps and washing it throughly with Salin Solution to avoid it.  So please, just a reminder to all you people who work with this shit, DO NOT STICK YOUR HANDS IN THE TANK FOR ANY REASON WHILE IT IS HOT.  Get a bigger magnet and put it on a stick, the elements are not attracted to the magnet, or vice versa.  

No need for any advice like "You should go see a doctor"  I've heard that all day long...  Of course, If I lose my arm because of infection, I'm sueing the city water managers for not labeling all the water coming from my faucet "Danger: Hot water may result in burns".  

If you'll excuse me, I need to change the dressings.
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 7:59:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Uh...Jojo, uh... go see a doctor.....
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 8:03:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Worried about infection?  So am I,
View Quote

ROTFLMAO

Hang in there little buddy.
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 8:03:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Next week, Episode II:
[red][b][size=4]Revenge of the One-Armed Ninja[/b][/red][/size=4]

[BD]

Link Posted: 4/11/2002 8:04:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Hay, ah, jojo...go see a doctor.
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 8:11:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Another gun related injury.

What sort of chemicals were in the tank?
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 8:14:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Early this morning, about 12:30pm,
View Quote

Although I find the story disturbing and a cause for concern. This quote gets me laughing [:D]

Early huh?!?! 12:30 PM Huh ?!?!? I get up at 05:30 to get to work.
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 8:27:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 8:35:44 PM EDT
[#8]
see, we need to regulate and register parkerizing tanks, this is an outrage.
it was obviously an assault tank.
we need to ban these dangerous devices,
for the children, you see.
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 9:46:36 PM EDT
[#9]
OUCH!

... JoJo, I'll glady drive you down to Desert Samaritan tomorrow if it gets any worse.

Seriously dude
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 11:01:20 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm wasn't gonna tell ya' that you need to see a doctor but, YOU NEED TO SEE A DOCTOR ASAP!!!

Seriously!

Burns of the hands are considered very serious. Medical care is required to prevent further damage.

Plus they give you REALLY good painkillers for hand burns.

Oh yeah, did you find the extractor?
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 11:13:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Dude, how the hell did you write your post?  One-handed? Man...  If it's the $$$ man, maybe we can set up an "AR15.com Mall Ninja Burn Victim Fund" to heal you - just get to the freaking Dr!  The womenz don't like their men disfigured!
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 11:26:03 PM EDT
[#12]
When you go to the doctor, be sure to bring the container the park stuff (whatever it is) came in. It's composition could affect the appropriate treatment.

If, for example, there was hydroflouric acid in it, not that I think there would be, they may want to inject your arm with a baking soda solution to neutralize the acid, in a vain attempt to prevent an amputation.
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 11:32:18 PM EDT
[#13]
If, for example, there was hydroflouric acid in it, not that I think there would be, they may want to inject your arm with a baking soda solution to neutralize the acid, in a vain attempt to prevent an amputation.
View Quote

WAHHAHAHAHAHAH!!! Ok poison control knows what is in park solution. They know ALL. not to mention that by the time he gets to a doctor the damage from the acid is done.

JoJo why didnt you have Derek call on his 2 EMT ninjas for such an emergency?
We dont charge..... much.
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 11:35:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Well not being a human doctor and *note* I am not giving out medical advice.  I would probably go see your physician.  I don't know just what chemicals are in the tank or the extent of your wounds, but if it is a serious burn, that should be reason enough for at least a look.
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 11:49:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 11:51:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
They know ALL. not to mention that by the time he gets to a doctor the damage from the acid is done.

View Quote

No one knows all, but they may be able to look it up if they have enough info or are able contact the company. Depending on the particular acid or chemical, the damage may or may not be done. With hydrofluoric acid (in my extreme and probably unrealistic example) there may not even be any symptoms for a long time after exposure.

Link Posted: 4/11/2002 11:58:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Go see a doctor.

Link Posted: 4/12/2002 12:03:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Since no one else here has shown appreciation, I thank you for the service and sacrifice you have made to the firearms community.
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 12:11:17 AM EDT
[#19]
[img]http://home.earthlink.net/~thegardenweasel/jojobooboo.jpg[/img]

Link Posted: 4/12/2002 12:20:04 AM EDT
[#20]
WAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA Good job on the photo. Ya didn't screw up the damn part on the guys gun did ya? You know those parts are getin scarce! [stick]
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 12:29:05 AM EDT
[#21]
LMAO!  Is that steam I see still rising from the stump that was his hand?
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 12:40:58 AM EDT
[#22]
GardenWeasel, that was classic.  I laughed myself to tears.  Especially when I read the photo name... Jojobooboo.jpg

You are still my hero.
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 1:23:56 AM EDT
[#23]
GO SEE A DOCTOR!

Burns are very serious and can get infected VERY easy!

I have no idea what is in the solution but you may have a mixture of chemical and heat burns.

medcop
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 1:36:42 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
GO SEE A DOCTOR!

Burns are very serious and can get infected VERY easy!

I have no idea what is in the solution but you may have a mixture of chemical and heat burns.

medcop
View Quote

Ditto  (Again)
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 1:42:27 AM EDT
[#25]
Parkerizing solution is essentially a hot acid bath with either zinc phosphate or manganese phosphate added.  Zinc gives a light gray color, manganese a dark gray to black color.  Of course, that's on steel.  On human flesh the colors tend to run to a "withered red". [;)]
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 3:15:27 AM EDT
[#26]
DUDE!... I hope you can jerk off with your other hand!
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 3:37:08 AM EDT
[#27]
Parkerizing solution contains phosphoric acid.
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 4:41:12 AM EDT
[#28]
OMG...JOJO I hope you are kidding.  If it is as bad as you make it sound then you need to get your ass to a doctor now.  
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 5:44:11 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 5:54:25 AM EDT
[#30]
hehehe,, why does noone suspect jojo is jerking your chains?
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 6:10:31 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
DO NOT STICK YOUR HANDS IN THE TANK FOR ANY REASON WHILE IT IS HOT.
View Quote

On a similar note, do not try to grab that m&m that fell into the garbage disposal while the latter is running either. I know it was one of the rare turqoise ones, but still :P
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 6:16:45 AM EDT
[#32]
[url]http://www.kfccinema.com/reviews/swordplay/onearmedsword/onearmedsword.html[/url] There you go Jojo, there is still hope.
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 7:12:38 AM EDT
[#33]
Get to a doctor immediately!  I had a similar thing happen in BCT while I was on KP.  The mess hall was staffed by civies, one of them decided to pour a huge pot of boiling water in the sink next to me.  I had the big gauntlet gloves on and the stream from the pot widened, filling my left glove with boiling water.

I immediately reacted with a blood-curdling scream and shook the glove off.  When I did that, most of my skin came off in the glove.  I went into shock and don't remember much except my drill offering me a smoke.  That was when smoking in BCT was first banned.  Of course I declined so he continued to try and lift my spirits until the meat wagon got there.  I was out the rest of the day as it was confidence course training.  

For the next three weeks, I went to the TMC for debridement and redressing.  Every day I soaked my burned hand in water and scrubbed it with Betadine and a brush.  The medic would then cover it in Silvadene cream and apply a sterile dressing, wrapping it with an Ace bandage for compression.

It was my non-shooting hand and as such, offered considerable wrist support and pulse isolation :).  Yes, I qualified expert.
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 10:54:59 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
With hydrofluoric acid (in my extreme and probably unrealistic example) there may not even be any symptoms for a long time after exposure.
View Quote

This would be true only with extremely miniscule exposures over long periods of time.  
I work with HF every day.  It's some nasty stuff lemme tell you.  If he was working with a vat of HF and it poured over his glove (this would constitute several obvious safety violations) he would most likely be dead.  Hydroflouric acid interfears with the calcium-potassium ion pump mechanism in your neurons.  Even an extremely small topical exposure will often cause a severe heart attack.  

When I work with HF (in high molar solutions) I am required to wear an acid resistant smock which covers down to the knee, elbow high acid resistant gloves, a complete face mask, and a respirator.  I work in a cleanroom where the air is completely exchanged 500 times per hour and I still may only open and use HF under a fume hood.  Everyone else in the room must also wear respirators and eye protection.  And we cannot use it while alone in the room.

If anyone would ever spill any on themself they might not be able to function long enough to apply the neutralizing cream (which is in it's own emergency box on the wall) before they die.  Even extremely minor exposures, such as a tiny spray on your arm that didn't even burn the skin, require immediate medical attention.

But this is really a mute point.  I don't think parkerizing solution has any HF in it. [:)]
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 11:00:42 AM EDT
[#35]
What doesn't kill you only serves to make you stronger, or some crap like that.

[img]http://members.verizon.net/~vze2ncbk/newhand.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 11:09:46 AM EDT
[#36]
If I were you, I would go the hospital and get looked at by a burn surgeon.  You are right about the risk of infection.  Burns on the extremities can also result in contractures which can render your hand/arm useless if it heals this way.  Your burn may need to be debrided to help prevent both of these less than desireable outcomes.  

Drop whatever you are doing and go get looked at.
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 1:55:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 2:01:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 2:22:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
When you go to the doctor, be sure to bring the container the park stuff (whatever it is) came in. It's composition could affect the appropriate treatment.

View Quote

A hydroflouric acid burn the size of a half dollar untreated can kill you in days if not hours.
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 2:46:47 PM EDT
[#40]
Go see a doctor, Jojo.
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 4:32:37 PM EDT
[#41]
]While fishing for the tiny little piece in the 200 Degree solution, water overflows the top of the glove turning my arm into a nice piece of Pork Rind, Mmmm, crunchy.

You expect us to believe you had your hand in 200 degree liquid(water boils at 212 at sea level)for three minutes??? LOL  I don't think so, but if you really did then what will be calling you from no on, lefty or ole' one arm?
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 4:53:45 PM EDT
[#42]
Hey, JoJo, it's your arm and your call about seeing a doctor. But, don't you think that after maybe 50 members have said "Go see a doctor", you might consider it?

I mean, if the point of your post was to warn people of making a dumb mistake, aren't you being a little hypocritical when 50 other people warn you about making another dumb mistake? Go see a doctor man, do it and good luck!
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 5:01:52 PM EDT
[#43]
I'll join the fray, go see the doctor.
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 5:11:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 6:05:58 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 6:34:25 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
That's it I am going to slackware.com downloading the latest distribution of slackware linux and downloading the latest edition of GIMP (Gnu Image Manipulation Program) that is as powerful as photoshop and is open source, there for free :P if you want it goto [url]http://www.gimp.org[/url] but you gotto have linux
View Quote

Actually, there is a Windows version the the Gimp. You can get it [url=http://www.gimp.org/win32/]here.[/url]
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 12:24:05 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
hehehe,, why does noone suspect jojo is jerking your chains?
View Quote

... Because he is above that.
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 12:44:05 AM EDT
[#48]
[size=6][red]GO TO A FRICKING DOCTOR DUDE!!!!![/red][/size=6]

Scott (EMT-B)

Link Posted: 4/13/2002 2:00:30 AM EDT
[#49]
Parkerizing solution is phosphoric acid with either zinc phosphate or manganese phosphate added to it.  Phosphoric acid is not particularly dangerous, but the 200 degree temperature of the solution makes it a little nasty.

When I was in college I worked summers as a lab technician in a fertilizer plant.  Their main product was ammonium phosphate, and one of the items found at the plant were huge vats of hot phosphoric acid.  There was an old timer there who had slipped and fell into one of these up to his chest and survived.  Pretty ugly scarring, though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top