Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 8/27/2010 7:36:02 PM EDT
Why do people believe in them?  There are several tv shows dedicated to them, but I can't understand why.

If ghosts were real, I think I would have seen one by now.  I'd like to believe, as it would be a hint that there was an afterlife...but I think when we die, that's just it.  Game over, no option to continue.

To the people who believe in them, could you please explain why?  I'm not bashing, like I said...I'd like to believe too.
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 7:36:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Boo!
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 7:41:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Why do people believe in god?
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 7:41:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Boo!

Link Posted: 8/27/2010 7:42:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Why do people believe in god?

Dunno.
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 7:43:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Because I've experienced one twice.  I can't explain what it was or why or anything.  I just know what happened, and there is no rational other explanation, and I am not crazy or misinterpreting anything....  It just happened.  I don't know what makes it happen or why, but it did....
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 7:44:13 PM EDT
[#6]
A friend of mine had this point of thought:

He says that "ghosts" are a christian thing, that they come from European, especially German culture. Is this true? Do other cultures/religions believe in them?
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 7:45:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Because I've experienced one twice.  I can't explain what it was or why or anything.  I just know what happened, and there is no rational other explanation, and I am not crazy or misinterpreting anything....  It just happened.  I don't know what makes it happen or why, but it did....

Well share the story then!
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 7:47:11 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

He says that "ghosts" are a christian thing, that they come from European, especially German culture. Is this true? Do other cultures/religions believe in them?
Ridiculous....  Look up "Chinese Ghosts" or "Japanese Ghosts"...  Most African religions strongly believe in ghosts and spirits.  I can't think of a culture that DOES NOT have a tradition of spirits and ghosts....

Link Posted: 8/27/2010 7:47:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I was raised Irish Catholic...and I don't believe.  I'm not such a good Catholic though.
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 7:48:11 PM EDT
[#10]
why do you believe in guns?
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 7:48:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Afraid to say "I don't know" ot "I can't explain it" so they make up some hocus pocus.

Link Posted: 8/27/2010 7:52:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
why do you believe in guns?

I can hold them, see them, shoot them...
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 7:52:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Ridiculous....  Look up "Chinese Ghosts" or "Japanese Ghosts"...  Most African religions strongly believe in ghosts and spirits.  I can't think of a culture that DOES NOT have a tradition of spirits and ghosts....

ya, that was what I told him..that pretty much every culture has their stories
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 7:56:02 PM EDT
[#14]
I do believe in a supernatural origin to the universe.

I think there has to be.  Scientists who study cosmology (the origins of the universe) keep running up against very real limits as to how much can be explained by science.

Somewhat in keeping with this, I also believe that some aspect of us does indeed survive death.  Maybe not in the way we think it does, but somehow at least.

As for people who run around in cemeteries at 2 a.m. with EMF meters and IR cameras, I think they are wasting their time.
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 7:57:05 PM EDT
[#15]
I had a few odd experiences after accidentally disturbing some human remains.
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 7:57:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

As for people who run around in cemeteries at 2 a.m. with EMF meters and IR cameras, I think they are wasting their time.

I run around with a digital recorder and picked up some interesting stuff.
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 7:58:23 PM EDT
[#17]
I've never seen one, but I have close friends that said they did, no reason for them to lie about that to me.
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 7:59:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I do believe in a supernatural origin to the universe.

I think there has to be.  Scientists who study cosmology (the origins of the universe) keep running up against very real limits as to how much can be explained by science.

Somewhat in keeping with this, I also believe that some aspect of us does indeed survive death.  Maybe not in the way we think it does, but somehow at least.

Kinda where I'm at...I'm an agnostic, not an atheist.  I believe in something, just not sure exactly what.
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 8:00:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've thought about doing that, but thus far have lacked the testicular fortitude to follow through.
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 8:02:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've thought about doing that, but thus far have lacked the testicular fortitude to follow through.

To be honest it doesn't scare me to go out and do it. I kinda get freaked out listening for the stuff on playback. I have a couple that are child EVP's and that saddens me and creeps me out at the same time.
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 8:03:42 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well share the story then!
I've told it here several times, mostly in the spooky threads that pop up around Halloween, but I'll indulge you....

The first time was when I was a child.  My mother accidentally poisoned two of our pets with a misdilluted flea dip.  It ended up killing my Cat and Rabbit.  For a couple of months afterward the death of my cat, late at night you could hear this tortured yowling and meowing.  It would make the hair stand up on your neck.  It was definitely feline, but sounded...  Unearthly is the only way I could describe it.  I know someone is going to say "Cat in heat outside", but it came from within the house.  Specifically from the central hallway and the bathtub where she died.  Now my mother is a rational, academic atheist.  She ABSOLUTELY did not believe in or accept these kinds of things, so she was at a loss, as she seemed to be who it was focused on.  Eventually she talked to a friend of hers at work who was into New Age kind of stuff, and was told to appologize and explain that it was a mistake.  As soon as she did, it stopped.  BTW, our entire household experienced this as well as some friends...

...The second time was a roommate of mine.  He was planning to move off to California with his girlfriend.  They leave and we figure we will hear from them soon once they get there.  About three days after they leave, as I am laying in bed I get this odd feeling like I am being watched from the hallway.  I look up and see the silhouette of my roommate Tom, standing in the Hallway.  It is distinctly him, the right height, right haircut, and I can make out his glasses.  Next thing, he raises his hand as if to say goodbye, and then is gone...  I immediately was overcome with the feeling that something had happened to him.  I just knew it in my bones.  I told my G/F at the time, and she scoffed and told me I was being stupid, etc...  About three hours later we get a call from Tom's girlfriend who had gone with him.  While changing a tire on the side of the road, Tom was struck and killed by an 18-wheeler driver that had fallen asleep behind the wheel and veered off the road.  Kelly said it happened about 3 hours before she called, which was exactly when I had seen him standing in our hallway....  Needless to say my G/F was stunned....

Take from that what you will.  That is what happened.  I don't know why or how, its just what did....  I have no other answer except that it did, and am as much at a loss as anyone else....

Link Posted: 8/27/2010 8:11:31 PM EDT
[#22]
How many people have died since man has roamed the earth?  Billions?

Don't you think that you would have a good chance of seeing a ghost by now?

Ghost, like religion, keep man intrigued and skeptical of their existence.
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 8:13:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Eventually it'll be all ghosts and the humans will be what's scary...

I am Legend...
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 8:13:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Two days before Christmas, December 23rd, 2004: I went to the bar across the street from my apartment that night and got good and liquored up. We had to work on the 24th, a short day, and most of us expected to do very little. I woke up around 4:00 AM. I dreamed that I saw my brother. He said, "I'm okay."

Usually, I don't remember dreams, and I've had exactly two of them in 47 years that woke me up in the middle of the night.

Mom called me at work that day. My brother died in his sleep that night. He was taking pain killers because of back surgery, and methadone because he'd been addicted to Oxycontin. The mixture can be fatal. He was doing well and had a young son. He loved Adam dearly and thought raising a son was the greatest thing that could ever happen to him. He wasn't suicidal, and he was clean for years. He just suddenly died.

I can't explain that, except to say that the soul does not die with the body. Other than that, I don't know what happens. But that happened to me.
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 8:13:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

This is what I think...
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 8:14:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

The first time was when I was a child.  My mother accidentally poisoned two of our pets with a misdilluted flea dip.  It ended up killing my Cat and Rabbit.  For a couple of months afterward the death of my cat, late at night you could hear this tortured yowling and meowing.  It would make the hair stand up on your neck.  It was definitely feline, but sounded...  Unearthly is the only way I could describe it.  I know someone is going to say "Cat in heat outside", but it came from within the house.  Specifically from the central hallway and the bathtub where she died.  Now my mother is a rational, academic atheist.  She ABSOLUTELY did not believe in or accept these kinds of things, so she was at a loss, as she seemed to be who it was focused on.  Eventually she talked to a friend of hers at work who was into New Age kind of stuff, and was told to appologize and explain that it was a mistake.  As soon as she did, it stopped.  BTW, our entire household experienced this as well as some friends...

My senior year of high school we had to put our dog down. She loved to run back and forth from the front window, to the back door to look out the glass door. For a few years while we still lived in that house you could hear paws running back and forth from the front to the back door and dog tags clinging back and forth pretty often.

Link Posted: 8/27/2010 8:16:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Two days before Christmas, December 23rd, 2004: I went to the bar across the street from my apartment that night and got good and liquored up. We had to work on the 24th, a short day, and most of us expected to do very little. I woke up around 4:00 AM. I dreamed that I saw my brother. He said, "I'm okay."

Usually, I don't remember dreams, and I've had exactly two of them in 47 years that woke me up in the middle of the night.

Mom called me at work that day. My brother died in his sleep on the 23rd. He was taking pain killers because of back surgery, and methadone because he'd been addicted to Oxycontin. The mixture can be fatal. He was doing well and had a young son. He loved Adam dearly and thought raising a son was the greatest thing that could ever happen to him. He wasn't suicidal, and he was clean for years. He just suddenly died.

I can't explain that, except to say that the soul does not die with the body. Other than that, I don't know what happens. But that happened to me.

I'm not even sure about the soul part.  

Like I said, I'd like to believe...but as a man of science, it's hard.
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 8:16:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Ghosts are not in bodily form, they are in energy form.
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 8:16:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Are there animal ghosts or is this a function of the "only humans have souls" paradigm?  Is it therefore religious in nature?  Which religion?

Link Posted: 8/27/2010 8:17:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Are there animal ghosts or is this a function of the "only humans have souls" paradigm?  Is it therefore religious in nature?  Which religion?

I dunno man, I'm asking.
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 8:19:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I dunno man, I'm asking.

I dont know if anyone knows. Its all a personal experience/Belief thing.
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 8:21:36 PM EDT
[#32]
I think we have a natural desire to know/explain the world around us. We want to know, it is hard to say I don't know.  Attributing things you don't know to the supernatural has always been an easy way to get all the pleasure of saying you know and avoid the discomfort of saying you don't.
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 8:25:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I think we have a natural desire to know/explain the world around us. We want to know, it is hard to say I don't know.  Attributing things you don't know to the supernatural has always been an easy way to get all the pleasure of saying you know and avoid the discomfort of saying you don't.

Agreed.
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 8:26:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Another thing, what constitutes "proof"? Are you looking to have full fledge dialogs with the other "realm" or what? I could show you all of the stuff that i have that I guarantee %100 isn't faked or messed with that is unexplainable.. is that proof?
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 8:28:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Another thing, what constitutes "proof"? Are you looking to have full fledge dialogs with the other "realm" or what? I could show you all of the stuff that i have that I guarantee %100 isn't faked or messed with that is unexplainable.. is that proof?

Show me, I've got an open mind.
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 8:29:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Are the animal ghosts a danger to the human ghosts?  There are clearly no ghost guns...imagine being a big, bad scary ghost back from the dead to terrorize feeble-minded humans and you get whacked by a fucking ghost-tiger?  Like, WTF?  What are the odds of that?  You're lurking in some creepy house and all of a sudden RRRAAAARRRRRR!!!!!!  Ghost tiger wipes your ass the fuck out!!!  The circle of life (or whatever) continues...

You imagine that shit on your dolby surround ghost hunting audio?

Link Posted: 8/27/2010 8:30:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.youtube.com/user/birddog081

Link to my youtube page with me and my friends "evidence".
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 8:31:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Are the animal ghosts a danger to the human ghosts?  There are clearly no ghost guns...imagine being a big, bad scary ghost back from the dead to terrorize feeble-minded humans and you get whacked by a fucking ghost-tiger?  Like, WTF?  What are the odds of that?  You're lurking in some creepy house and all of a sudden RRRAAAARRRRRR!!!!!!  Ghost tiger wipes your ass the fuck out!!!  The circle of life (or whatever) continues...

Lol, I don't know who you're talking to, you never quote.

If it's me, then don't bother...I don't believe.
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 8:33:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ghosts are not in bodily form, they are in energy form.

Well, I have not noticed anything in energy form roaming around my home lately.
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 8:33:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, man...I'm directing it "at large".  I believe it's harder to justify a lock that way.
You got my gears turning and I'm contributing to the discourse.

Weren't we going to get beers or play video games or something?
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 8:34:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 8:35:02 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mom called me at work that day. My brother died in his sleep on the 23rd. He was taking pain killers because of back surgery, and methadone because he'd been addicted to Oxycontin. The mixture can be fatal. He was doing well and had a young son. He loved Adam dearly and thought raising a son was the greatest thing that could ever happen to him. He wasn't suicidal, and he was clean for years. He just suddenly died.

I'm not even sure about the soul part.  

Like I said, I'd like to believe...but as a man of science, it's hard.

Right now, I'm reviewing algebra so I can get back to calculus. This is so I can review Newton, Planck, Einstein, Heisenberg, and Dirac, and maybe understand why we can't figure out gravity. I'll have to get into trigonometry, too. A friend was a professor at a state university and got a couple of teacher's edition of algebra and calculus texts for me to study. I also like to read about physics, and the people who advanced the science/art of it.

Fred Hoyle was an atheist. He said that nothing shook his atheism as much as the discovery of the nuclear resonance of oxygen and carbon atoms. If the nuclear resonance of carbon had been a hair lower, there wouldn't be any carbon. If the resonance of oxygen had been far less different, carbon and helium would have fused into oxygen and carbon would be a trace element. In other words, if the nuclear resonance of oxygen has been half a percent higher, there wouldn't be any carbon, and there wouldn't be any universe as we know it. The anthropomorphic view of the universe is on very shaky ground.
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 8:35:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Didn't hear shit on the first part, and it sounded like some dude, not a young girl whispering "now" on the second.
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 8:36:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Didn't hear shit on the first part, and it sounded like some dude, not a young girl whispering "now" on the second.

Some you need headphones for. The first one was a child, the second one was a male. Like I said, I dont do it to push others to believe.
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 8:37:07 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

duh! I would have a ghost gun. It would ba a Glock, since they explode all the time. Maybe I would put ghost Winchester White Box 45s in it, too.
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 8:37:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, man...I'm directing it "at large".  I believe it's harder to justify a lock that way.
You got my gears turning and I'm contributing to the discourse.

Weren't we going to get beers or play video games or something?

Name the weekend...exept the holiday weekend coming up since I gotta work. I'm down for some games and beer.
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 8:40:13 PM EDT
[#47]
My sister and her fiance swear they watched the salt shaker slide across the table in a "Haunted" restaurant.
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 8:42:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

duh! I would have a ghost gun. It would ba a Glock, since they explode all the time. Maybe I would put ghost Winchester White Box 45s in it, too.

A Glock?!?!  Well...maybe you'd take the ghost-tiger with you.  But I think you'd be a goner.  On to...well, whatever.

Link Posted: 8/27/2010 8:42:51 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
My sister and her fiance swear they watched the salt shaker slide across the table in a "Haunted" restaurant.

I've been intentionally going to supposedly "haunted" places as of late, and have seen/felt absolutely nothing.  These are places that have been featured on Ghost Hunters...I guess I'm just not buying it.
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 8:43:27 PM EDT
[#50]
They are like magnets, yo!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top