Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/27/2010 2:40:28 PM EDT
Can anyone recommend a good off road RC buggy for my 9 year old and I?  I'm not looking for anything high end, but I checked out the stuff they had at the toy store and I wasn't impressed.  I had $60-120 in mind for this.  

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 2:43:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Traxxas Stampede or Rustler is going to be your very best bet. Stick with electric. Try Tower hobbies.

Link Posted: 8/27/2010 2:44:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Your budget is too low. :(

These are supposed to be indestructible

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WG9QXdmLwBw
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 2:51:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Budget is too low but the difference gives you something "hobby grade" and not a toy.

I'd stick with the 1/10 scale though because they are equally as indestructable as the Slash... but parts are way more available.

Because while being indestructable they still break shit here and there. Unlike toys, anything/everything on these can be repaired, and for cheap.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0091p?SORT=A&CAT=CAI&VND=TRA
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 2:58:18 PM EDT
[#4]
oops I didn't mean to link to the 1/16 scale one.
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 3:04:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Budget is too low but the difference gives you something "hobby grade" and not a toy.

I'd stick with the 1/10 scale though because they are equally as indestructable as the Slash... but parts are way more available.
Because while being indestructable they still break shit here and there. Unlike toys, anything/everything on these can be repaired, and for cheap.

A link to TOWER HOBBIES ????

MUST

NOT

CLICK

I'm weak
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 3:08:18 PM EDT
[#6]
tag.
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 3:11:11 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Traxxas Stampede or Rustler is going to be your very best bet. Stick with electric. Try Tower hobbies.

This man speaks the truth.  A Traxxas Rustler was my first of many more expensive ones, yet it is still is my favorite.

Link Posted: 8/27/2010 3:13:35 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This man speaks the truth.  A Traxxas Rustler was my first of many more expensive ones, yet it is still is my favorite.

I run a pair myself.

Link Posted: 8/27/2010 3:34:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Like many above here, Traxxas slash or along those lines,
expect to drop maby around 350-400 or so, and this hobby well keep costing you a bit of money here and there, even on the cheaper end it can be expensive.
drop by your local hobby people or hobby town USA, OR random hobby shop, prices may not be to different than towerhobbies plus you dont pay for shipping, some hobby shops can be very good for info and trustworthy overall, some cannot. but it is nice to have stuff a drive away, plus it lets you look at alot of this stuff up close, get a run down of stuff etc.
find a local track, have a look around, your local hobby shops should have all of there locations
you could also score a good deal off of ebay, but alot of abused rc cars float on ebay to, good to know what your looking for when floating ebay
and defintly stay electric, a gas/nitro motor well give you more headaches than the entire car it self, stay simple especially for entry level

URL=www.rcuniverse.com]RC Universe[/URL] THE internet RC forum, more or less the arfcom of RC.
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 3:38:35 PM EDT
[#10]
I had a Tamaya Hornet a looooooooooooong time ago.... bought a upgraded motor and put bearings where I could.... That fucker would haul ass....

Link Posted: 8/27/2010 3:41:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

A link to TOWER HOBBIES ????

MUST

NOT

CLICK

I'm weak

When I was young I remember drooling over the Tower Hobbies big ass catalog and even the monthly fliers.  Good times!
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 3:59:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I had a Tamaya Hornet a looooooooooooong time ago.... bought a upgraded motor and put bearings where I could.... That fucker would haul ass....

My first rc car too.
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 4:00:25 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

http://rss.rcmart.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/tamiya_58336_news_004.jpg

I run a RC-10 and it freaking hauls!!!! Big fat moto, all ball bearings. Get the knob-style steering control. Real diff. Front end slanted up 10-15*. Jumps very well, fluid filled shocks.
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 4:22:07 PM EDT
[#14]

I have this one from nitrorcx.com
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 4:46:41 PM EDT
[#15]
I have an Ofna Violator I could definitely be talked into giving up. I haven't used it in a few years.

Link Posted: 8/29/2010 8:32:31 AM EDT
[#16]
I decided to spend a little over my budget and get the Traxxas Rustler as recommended here.  Any other advice?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 8:56:05 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I decided to spend a little over my budget and get the Traxxas Rustler as recommended here.  Any other advice?

Thanks!

You did good, and the kid is going to be floored.

Only other advice really, is that 7 cell hump packs are great. Like these here:

http://www.batteryspace.com/nimhbatterypack84v4200mahhumpbatterypacksforrctraxxasandlosietc.aspx

The Powerizer 4200 cells have been pretty good for me, I have four of them and no complaints.

Chargers and batteries add a lot of cost to the startup but fast charging and long runtimes make it enjoyable.

Nothing worse than having one battery worth 5mins of run time then waiting 12 hours for a recharge.

Link Posted: 8/29/2010 9:01:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Just picked up a Slash 4X4...  I give my 2 and 4 year old dead controllers and they stand next to me while I drive.  They absolutely LOVE watching that truck haul ass around.  

You can pick up a 2wd Slash for just over $200.  The thing that sold my on the Slash was the sealed electronics...

Link Posted: 8/30/2010 7:28:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 7:36:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I have an Ofna Violator I could definitely be talked into giving up. I haven't used it in a few years.

http://www.rcscrapyard.bizland.com/clas_files/Ofna-9-5-Violator.jpg

I had one as well. Great fun. Unfourtently I found replacement parts difficult to find, at least in part due to the unusual width. It's currently sitting in a box somewhere awaiting revival and switch to electric power.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 8:42:41 AM EDT
[#21]
dont go nitro. If i get into r.c cars again it will be battery nitro cars are too much of a pian in the ass.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 8:56:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
dont go nitro. If i get into r.c cars again it will be battery nitro cars are too much of a pian in the ass.

Lets not forget about the cost of a good ESC ,Chargers , Batteries motors etc .  Oh and the best part  is just when you start to have fun the darned battery dumps
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 9:01:31 AM EDT
[#23]
I had a Rustler years ago.  The castor blocks were fragile, but that was about it.  They've probably improved the design by now.

With a modified motor it would go pretty fast.

The Stampede is the monster-truck version of the Rustler.

ETA: If you break a castor block, replace with aluminum: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXVZS9&P=Z

Upgrade to bearings in the wheels.  Pick up spare gears in case he strips one.

Link Posted: 8/30/2010 1:06:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lets not forget about the cost of a good ESC ,Chargers , Batteries motors etc .  Oh and the best part  is just when you start to have fun the darned battery dumps

LiPo's dude... I get 40 minutes on a 2S 5400mAh Thunder Power battery.  I just got back into RC trucks after a 15 year hiatus, I'm shocked by the leap in technology in brushless motors and batteries.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 8:59:08 PM EDT
[#25]
It came in on Thursday, just in time for my daughter's birthday.  She loves it but I think she is a little scared of breaking it.  She kept handing me the control and would direct me where to steer it.  I have to admit I had no idea just how fun this thing would be.  It's definitely much better than the one I had as a kid.  

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 9:12:26 PM EDT
[#26]
im interested in this as well

ive always wanted to get into hobby grade RC

i like smaller scale so i could throw it in my car trunk and drive somewhere fun to play with it, although i do have a ton of property to run it around on here
several dry creek beds for rock crawling and a bunch of super steep hills for hill climbs

anyone got any recommendations??

i do like the fact that the slash can be bought with a brushless set up strait from the box and sealed electronics for winter time. i love desert trucks

my main concern is i want it to be fast, and i want to have plenty of power for steep hillclimbs
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 9:13:33 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

LiPo's dude... I get 40 minutes on a 2S 5400mAh Thunder Power battery.  I just got back into RC trucks after a 15 year hiatus, I'm shocked by the leap in technology in brushless motors and batteries.  

Im in the same boat was used to 4 minute run times at best and 30mph

have a VXL rustler and a couple 11.1v LiPos I get bored or break something before the 1st LiPo goes dead LOL plus it runs 60+

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 9:14:55 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

my main concern is i want it to be fast, and i want to have plenty of power for steep hillclimbs

In 1/10 or 1/16

with the high Volt batteries the VXL machines are insane for a box stock vehicle

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 9:19:45 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

It came in on Thursday, just in time for my daughter's birthday.  She loves it but I think she is a little scared of breaking it.  She kept handing me the control and would direct me where to steer it.  I have to admit I had no idea just how fun this thing would be.  It's definitely much better than the one I had as a kid.  

There is a beginner mode on the ESC, check the manual.

Glad to hear she likes it though. Nothing she could break, would break the bank, so maybe try to reassure her.

Parts flood ebay for very cheap... because the aftermarket is gigantic and people basically toss the factory stuff away.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:08:07 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Quoted:

There is a beginner mode on the ESC, check the manual.

Glad to hear she likes it though. Nothing she could break, would break the bank, so maybe try to reassure her.
Parts flood ebay for very cheap... because the aftermarket is gigantic and people basically toss the factory stuff away.

Thanks, I'll give that a shot this morning.  

What do you guys think of these batteries and charger:  
http://www.all-battery.com/intellect84v4600mahbatterypackswithtraxxasconnector11339.aspx

http://www.all-battery.com/smartuniversalchargerfornimhnicdbatterypack-12withchargingcurrentselectiontemperaturesensor.aspx

Quoted:
Bump for pics of the truck...

Here's the link for the Traxxas Rustler forum.  

There's a lot of good info there.  Thanks for the link!
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:14:11 AM EDT
[#31]

Battery packs look good, you should have luck with them and the price is right.

I can't speak to the charger though. I use an MRC Super brain.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:18:35 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:08:30 AM EDT
[#33]
Put some new shocks on my Slash 4X4 last week... man are these things plush.  

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:12:18 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k139/h60gnr/ProlineShocks.jpg

Man, I miss my Tyco Baja Bandit......thanks, I'm off to search for one of these now.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:15:28 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k139/h60gnr/ProlineShocks.jpg

Man, I miss my Tyco Baja Bandit......thanks, I'm off to search for one of these now.

Look no further than the Traxxas Slash 4X4... It's been 15 years since my last, rear, RC car.  I had forgotten how much fun rc stuff is.  What really sold me on the Slash is the waterproof electronics.  It's Alaska proof!!!!
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:18:04 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Thanks!

You think shooting and collecting guns and ammo is expensive?

Do not ever get into RC aviation...you'll end up with an ARF, then a stick, then helo's...

I ebay'd all my stuff a few years back, I made back ALOT of money.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top