Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/11/2002 3:56:20 PM EDT
Finally, I had my wirless service installed today like I posted about a few days back. Good riddens dial-up!! THIS ROCKS

So far it seems to work great, no LOS issues on the install and speed tests show it is above what it is supposed to be. BTW this is 802.11b service.

The ISP used a pre-configured Netgear gateway/Router for the install. To any of you techs out there do I need to run a software firewall like zoneAlarm as well or should this be enough? I went to the security test sites and they showed I was as tight as a virgin

Thanks

Later

IAJack
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 4:35:42 PM EDT
[#1]
To be precise as to not give anyone the wrong impression of a service that doesn't exist, you have a wired broadband service with an 802.11b wireless LAN (WiFi). Too bad that WEP has been throughly hack by the guys at UCB. Thus, the Netgear wireless access point (WAP) provides better firewall protection (if configured as such) than it does on the WEP encryption. Make sure they (your ISP) enabled WEP and configured a pass-phrase to generate your keys. Any security is better than nothing.

Use your notebook with a WiFi card installed and walk around your fence with it searching for WAPs. My neighbor's WAP id is 2WIRE688 and he has no WEP. Thus, when my ISP is down, I can hop on his. He's even serving DHCP!
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 5:16:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Well to try to clarify what I have I will try elaborate then you can flame me on my knowlege.

I have fixed wireless. I have a desktop computer with a roof mounted antenna pointing to a 500ft tower to which the ISP has placed an transmitter on. benhind the antenna is a tranciever, then the netgear router. The ISP tech said this was 802.11b based microwave band hopping service.

Later

IAJack

Link Posted: 4/11/2002 5:28:48 PM EDT
[#3]
To any of you techs out there do I need to run a software firewall like zoneAlarm as well or should this be enough? I went to the security test sites and they showed I was as tight as a virgin

Thanks

Later

IAJack
View Quote

Zone Alarm is free, NetScreen [url]www.netscreen.com[/url] is very nice but very $$.

-hanko
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top