http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Beast_of_War

The Beast was good.

Link Posted: 8/27/2010 6:43:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Been done, rather well I might add.

The Beast of War.

Yep the Beast was a helluva a good movie.
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 6:46:45 AM EDT
[#4]
The Beast was very good.
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 6:58:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Ah read the comments guys.  Purely as a blow them all up and let god sort them out, it may rock.  But there are a lot of political overtones.  It seems to be squared against the Isreal IDF, which does not take a great leap to be used against us.  Its an anti Isreali/USA movie painting our soldiers as cold blooded killers murdering innocent people.  Get it now>

Geeze guys all the critics raving should be the first warning sign.  Grow up!
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 7:11:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Is there always that much water in the bottom of a tank?
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 7:15:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I'd like to know the answer to this.
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 7:21:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Make it about Micheal Whitmann's Tiger I crew......I might be interested.
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 7:27:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think that's water... More like a combination of Diesel, oil, hydraulic fluid and sweat; any old MBT/APC/IFV crewman would know...

And I am not any of them.

Link Posted: 8/27/2010 7:32:32 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Ah read the comments guys.  Purely as a blow them all up and let god sort them out, it may rock.  But there are a lot of political overtones.  It seems to be squared against the Isreal IDF, which does not take a great leap to be used against us.  Its an anti Isreali/USA movie painting our soldiers as cold blooded killers murdering innocent people.  Get it now>

pretty much.

Link Posted: 8/27/2010 7:35:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think that's water... More like a combination of Diesel, oil, hydraulic fluid and sweat; any old MBT/APC/IFV crewman would know...

I've been in lots of tanks/bradleys/apc's, that is atypical, and indicative of something wrong.  Especially in a dry climate like Israel.  Maybe after a water crossing or something, but even in heavy rain, I've never been in any US armored vehicle that had a pool of water in it.
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 7:45:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've been in lots of tanks/bradleys/apc's, that is atypical, and indicative of something wrong.  Especially in a dry climate like Israel.  Maybe after a water crossing or something, but even in heavy rain, I've never been in any US armored vehicle that had a pool of water in it.

Yeah, usually if there's that much water, diesel, oil, or hydraulic fluid, there's something seriously wrong with the tank
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 7:47:52 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Maybe a crew member has an enlarged prostate.

Link Posted: 8/27/2010 7:47:53 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Ernst Barkmann would be interesting as well.

Link Posted: 8/27/2010 7:55:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:

True......But any mainstream movie company doing a fact based movie about a high scoring SS panzer ace...
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 7:57:00 AM EDT
[#16]
there was a decent movie years back... about a russian tank crew in afghanastan.....cant remember the name.

nevermind..... i just did a google search... it was " the beast from 1988"........
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 9:12:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

True......But any mainstream movie company doing a fact based movie about a high scoring SS panzer ace...

It certainly SEEMS like a formula for a story that would be wildly successful for any studio that wanted to take it on.

Link Posted: 8/27/2010 9:48:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
there was a decent movie years back... about a russian tank crew in afghanastan.....cant remember the name.

nevermind..... i just did a google search... it was " the beast from 1988"........

I guess the first half of this thread wasn't worth reading, but thanks for the update.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 10:36:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Oh come one.  It's about the Isreali conflict and it's a movie.  What stance did you think it would take?  Hey I hear there's a new movie about Bush coming out.  It'll probably be neutral on it's stance of him.

Link Posted: 8/27/2010 10:41:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

This.   The greatest Panzer commander who ever lived.   Oh no!  Wait a minute, now.   Can't have hollywood ever make a movie in which a German is anything other than an absolute monster or a complete fool like Sergeant Schultz now, can we?    Think about why that is for a moment.    You just might be able to figure it out.    Shalom.
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 10:43:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe a crew member has an enlarged prostate.

You think thats lemonade youre drinking?
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 10:44:29 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.   The greatest Panzer commander who ever lived.   Oh no!  Wait a minute, now.   Can't have hollywood ever make a movie in which a German is anything other than an absolute monster or a complete fool like Sergeant Schultz now, can we?    Think about why that is for a moment.    You just might be able to figure it out.    Shalom.

That would be an interesting movie, but I doubt it will ever be made. That whole glorifying the Nazis thing, or presenting some of them as basically human.
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 10:46:53 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was in armor. The only moisture I ever saw in a tank was from the crew's wet boots, hardly enough to notice. They're built to keep out gas and bio weapons much less rain water. It absolutely would not be fuel!
Sweat, however?  

Link Posted: 8/27/2010 10:54:02 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was in armor. The only moisture I ever saw in a tank was from the crew's wet boots, hardly enough to notice. They're built to keep out gas and bio weapons much less rain water. It absolutely would not be fuel!

Sweat, however?  

Don't be so sure.  I drove around an M1 for weeks at Ft. Bliss with the sub-turret floor full of Diesel.  IIRC, it was at least 6-10 inches deep.  I think it was a leak in a fuel line.  Some Army officers found out about it, and the SHTF for my TC and CO.  The S was supposed to HTF for me too, but it was forgotten by the time we got back from the training exercise.

eta- the film looks like typical sensationalist bullshit.  

Link Posted: 8/27/2010 10:59:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

They need to tell their fellow crewman to stop dumping his canteen all over himself in lieu of air conditioning.
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 11:04:38 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Don't be so sure.  I drove around an M1 for weeks at Ft. Bliss with the sub-turret floor full of Diesel.  IIRC, it was at least 6-10 inches deep.  I think it was a leak in a fuel line.  

Hmmmmmm....diesel fuel in an M1?
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 11:06:41 AM EDT
[#27]
I'll see you your "Beast of War" and raise you one "Sahara". Much better movie IMO.
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 11:11:35 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I'll see you your "Beast of War" and raise you one "Sahara". Much better movie IMO.

The one with the matthew mcconaughey in it?  That movie?  You can't be talking about THAT "Sahara".  It isn't even a tank movie.

You have to mean This one:  Sahara

Never seen it, but it has Bogey in it.  I'll see if I can get it on Netflix.
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 11:11:43 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't be so sure.  I drove around an M1 for weeks at Ft. Bliss with the sub-turret floor full of Diesel.  IIRC, it was at least 6-10 inches deep.  I think it was a leak in a fuel line.  

Most likely JP-8; close enough for .gov purposes.
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 11:18:41 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

It certainly SEEMS like a formula for a story that would be wildly successful for any studio that wanted to take it on.

Not really, the MSM and jewish special interests would eat it up
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 11:22:11 AM EDT
[#31]
There is an interesting 1 hour documentary on the Canadian version of the History Channel about who took out Whitman. They went right to the battle field and using old aerial photographs and GPS determined that it was a Canadian tank crew who took out Whitmans Tiger. They even found pieces of his Tiger and talked to the farmer who found Whitmans remains in the field.

A British Firefly crew had originally taken credit for the kill but GPS proved that this was not possible. The British crew did take out 3 Tigers who were charging through the field with Whitman. A Canadian Sherman crew was only 125 meters away and hit the Tiger point blank from the side killing Whitman and his crew. The Tiger brewed up and blew the turret right off.

Searched Youtube but could not find anything there from this documentary. I think it was "Breakthrough Entertainment" who produced it. Definitely worth a look if you can find it.
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 11:25:15 AM EDT
[#32]
the beast is an outstanding flick, one of my personal top 20 of all time.
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 11:26:21 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Beast of War.

The Beast was good.

Yes it was

Link Posted: 8/27/2010 11:29:58 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Quoted:

The Beast of War.

The Beast was good.

Yep, exactly what I thought when I read the title of this thread.
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 11:34:57 AM EDT
[#35]
Looks like a VERY spacious tank.
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 11:36:31 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I always thought Pieper was considered the "greatest"? Guess i'll have to do some reading...
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 11:41:00 AM EDT
[#37]
LEBANON looks like a good movie

Im going to see it at the matinee tomorrow
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 11:42:27 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Looks interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHWWH2bdowM

I'm watching it now with subs

So far so good.
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 12:19:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, usually if there's that much water, diesel, oil, or hydraulic fluid, there's something seriously wrong with the tank

They make that point in the movie.  They are in Lebanon, far from support. The tank is fucked, they're fucked, the war is fucked, etc, etc...

They are protecting people with a broken down, leaky, hot tank. If they stop to fix it, somebody is gonna die.

Having been in combat, the political message is lost on me. Combat is combat. If combat lasts longer than 30 minutes, it sucks all that much more. If you don't have what you need to end it in 30 minutes, somebody is going to show up with something that will. If the bad guys show up with mortars, sniper rifles and RPGs, you better hope the AC-130's and Apaches aren't previously engaged.
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 12:19:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I always thought Pieper was considered the "greatest"? Guess i'll have to do some reading...

Greatest war criminal, who also commanded a tank.

Otto Carius would be a much better choice.

http://www.alanhamby.com/aces.shtml
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 12:20:43 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Beast of War.

Yep the Beast was a helluva a good movie.

Indeed. In fact, I only own two DVDs, and The Beast is one of them.

Link Posted: 8/27/2010 12:45:26 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Greatest war criminal, who also commanded a tank.

Otto Carius would be a much better choice.

http://www.alanhamby.com/aces.shtml

Interesting link. My panzer knowledge is pretty limited I was thinking Whittman* was the war criminal and Peiper was fairly honorable. Looks like they were both pretty terrible. Its fortunate that Germany didn't have the production capabilities that we did or things might have been much different.

*ETA- Don't mean Wittman, meant Meyer. He's the other one that might have some war crime issues.
Link Posted: 8/28/2010 1:39:28 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Not really, the MSM and jewish special interests would eat it up

Ah yes, the damn JEWS...

Link Posted: 8/28/2010 11:53:37 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was going to say Jet-A, but I knew some smart ass know-it-all would bitch about that to.

As someone who has been working with it for 25 years, let me help you out.  It's pretty much the same shit.  Turbine engines will run on JP8, Kero, Diesel, JetA and even Gasoline.

Link Posted: 8/28/2010 12:45:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Joachim Peiper is more infamous than famous. He doesn't rank in the top 60 or so on the Panzer ace list.

Kurt Knispel is listed as No. 1 with ~168 kills but did not survive to the end of the war.

The highest surviving ace is Otto Caruis with ~150 kills. Edit: He is also No. 2 overall.
Link Posted: 8/28/2010 12:55:43 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hans Gruber?

Link Posted: 8/28/2010 11:32:12 PM EDT
[#47]
I watched the movie "LEBANON" in the theater today

the tank crew never gets out of the tank in the whole movie! an Israeli paratrooper comes in to give them info about the mission, but the tankers never leave the tank

all the outside scenes are viewed from the tanks periscope from inside

I noticed none of the tank crew wears any protective head gear? I thought tankers wore tankers helmets?

all in Hebrew with english sub-titles

THE BEAST was a better movie than LEBANON

Link Posted: 8/29/2010 4:57:15 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I watched the movie "LEBANON" in the theater today

the tank crew never gets out of the tank in the whole movie! an Israeli paratrooper comes in to give them info about the mission, but the tankers never leave the tank

all the outside scenes are viewed from the tanks periscope from inside

I noticed none of the tank crew wears any protective head gear? I thought tankers wore tankers helmets?

all in Hebrew with english sub-titles

THE BEAST was a better movie than LEBANON

I agree.

I couldn't finish Lebanon.

The Beast ROCKED
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 5:24:25 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Not too many people have even heard of him let alone care about seeing a film about him, Hollywood would never take the risk, I think a movie about the Kursk tank battle is possible, with the CG effects they have now and IMAX it could be like the Sensurround version of 'Midway' that my father took me to see in the 70's.

Link Posted: 8/29/2010 5:27:52 AM EDT
[#50]
Was it even filmed in a tank?  From the trailer it looks pretty fucking roomy in there, certainly MuCH roomier than any tank I've been in.  I've never been in a merkava, so who knows, maybe they built them to party.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top