Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/11/2002 2:35:07 PM EDT
What federal laws are on the book requarding transporting firearms across state lines?

I use the don't ask don't tell policy when on vacation but whats the law say?

How about flying, can you transport them as long as you pack them in the belly of the plane?

With all the 9/11 stuff, I want to get my ducks in a row.

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 2:54:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Good questions.

1) Apart from the right to carry either openly by state law, or concealed through a reciprocity agreement, Federal law permits you to carry weapons that are unloaded and encased.  This is the Firearm Owners Protection Act of 1986.  They need to be in the trunk, or otherwise encased and out of immediate access.  If I'm not mistaken the ammo and weapon have to be separated too, but I'm not 100% on that last point.  It's possible, of course, that a local cop won't know about or won't respect the law, but this law is supposed to be there to protect you.  Like everything in life, if the cops don't know or don't care about the law, you're pretty much screwed.

2) As for planes, nothing's seemed to chanage.  As long as you declare your weapon, and it's unloaded you can check in.  The FAA I think specifies that the container is hard and lockable.  I also think Ammo needs to be stored separately and must be limited to a certain small weight (i.e., no 500 round cases).  I've travelled with weapons since 9-11 and haven't had problems.  Just go to the desk or the curbside guy and say I've got luggage to check, including a firearm.  They'll know what to do.
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 2:57:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Your best bet to begin looking for information about driving is probably at:

www.packing.org

They list information about concealed carry permits and reciprocity for each state.  You don't mention whether you have a CCW.

Most airlines allow the transportation of long arms in a locked container, bolt out, no ammo.  Check the website of the airline you're travelling for more info.
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 2:57:51 PM EDT
[#3]
As far as Federal Law:

Sec. 926A. - Interstate transportation of firearms

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver's compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console
View Quote

As far as state law goes, check with the NRA at [url]http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws.asp?FormMode=state[/url]
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 3:01:25 PM EDT
[#4]
The way things are now, I wouldn't even try to carry a firearm on an airline (picture a "car search" for some reason at the airport and they find firearms, even though locked up in a case, and your looking at a BIG hassel)
If your not a member, join the NRA, they have some great info on all state laws and procedures for transportation of firearms.  For myself, I travel frequently across state lines with firearms (to shoot).  I keep rifles stored seperatly from ammunition (ammo should be locked up), and I keep my handguns locked up seperatly as well in a locked case (I use military ammo cans with 1/8 steel welds on the side, and have it drilled so I can slip a lock on it and you can't open it).  Keep in mind it can get tricky when you have a truck or suv (technicaly I believe the firearms have to be stored in an "locked" area such as a trunk)  Also keep in mind it also depends what state your driving through.  Stay out of Mass, N.Y, N.J, and Md on the east coast.  Had a friend whos cousin was stopped by D.C police as he was going hunting, they saw some rifles in back of his truck, and like 5 HOURS later he was finaly let go after they checked each gun out (talke about a bad start).  I guarentee if you call the local law enforcement for any state you travel through and ask them, you'll get a different answer each time you talk to sombody.
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 3:02:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Most airlines do not require the gun to be disassembled. Simply unloaded. Ammunition cannot be in the same container as the Firearm. It is my understanding that Handguns are also OK.

I have flown probably a dozen times since 9/11 with firearms and it isn't usually a problem. Those were AR-15, Shotgun, etc...The AR-15 was the only one that I had a problem with. It kinda freaked out the check-in woman who trhought it was a Machine Gun.

Quoted:
Your best bet to begin looking for information about driving is probably at:

www.packing.org

They list information about concealed carry permits and reciprocity for each state.  You don't mention whether you have a CCW.

Most airlines allow the transportation of long arms in a locked container, bolt out, no ammo.  Check the website of the airline you're travelling for more info.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 3:02:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 3:09:31 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm not sure about he case history of FOPA besides one case where the defendant was obviously well-connected. he argued FOPA protection even though it obviously didn't apply in his case and the judge threw out the conviction.

[url]http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs.cmu.edu/user/wbardwel/public/nfalist/bieder_v_us.txt[/url]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top