BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 8/24/2010 11:53:33 PM EDT
Im bored
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 11:56:11 PM EDT
[#1]
it's only 02:50... don't worry, the kooks will come out here as well.

To keep you busy, my respirations are slow, and I just took some morphine... I'm considering a nap - and it feels like an elephant is sitting on my chest. Help! I'm foing!

Link Posted: 8/24/2010 11:56:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Im bored

I'll take the bait.  What's the most fucked up thing you've seen.

And,

Have you ever treated an unconscious hot chick and popped wood.  Not that I care, or that it interests me, but I know GD and it'll come up at some point.
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 11:58:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I can only give "scenarios" but a parasite coming out of an eyeball takes the cake. And no wood on unconscious pts. I have found a checkbook and a few cheetoes under a titty the size of your head.
Link Posted: 8/25/2010 12:10:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I can only give "scenarios" but a parasite coming out of an eyeball takes the cake. And no wood on unconscious pts. I have found a checkbook and ,a few cheetoes under a titty the size of your head.

"parasite coming out of an eyeball takes the cake"

Ok fuck this shit.

I mean, at what point do you realize you're fucked up and need a doctor, but decide to wait till a fucking organism is coming out of your eye then you decided, ok, now is too much.
Link Posted: 8/25/2010 12:15:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Also seen an external hemmroid get lanced the size of a bulls testicle . Got to see down the Hot MDs shirt with no bra as she did it and hold a screaming mans hand. BTW she didnt wait till the lidocaine kicked in.
Link Posted: 8/25/2010 12:18:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Post some pictures
Link Posted: 8/25/2010 12:19:52 AM EDT
[#7]
In your opinion, what kind of toll will obesity and diabetes take on this country?
Link Posted: 8/25/2010 12:24:55 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

In your opinion, what kind of toll will obesity and diabetes take on this country?

Hey man, obesity is just keeping cardiac surgeons employed...
Link Posted: 8/25/2010 12:25:57 AM EDT
[#9]
got any regulars?
Link Posted: 8/25/2010 12:26:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The area I live in is one of the worst for DM1 and DM2 which is insulin and non insulin dependent diabetes. Obesity is also a problem as food is the main part of our culture. Race also predisposes some of the population. Diabetics are at higher risk of cardiac problems earlier in life. Just imagine a Diabetic 300 pound person who smokes and goes to the ER instead of a regular MD and is on medicaid and you get the idea.

I cant scream loud enough that those that cant afford health care should not get it . Im sorry when you are unemployed you sit at home collect food stamps,live in HUD housing, and have medicaid for you and your 5 kids you dont lose any weight. The proverbial "titty" needs to come out the mouth.

Link Posted: 8/25/2010 12:27:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
got any regulars?

One guy that has been calling since the birth of the 911 system in my city.
Link Posted: 8/25/2010 12:31:11 AM EDT
[#12]
What is the one thing that made you say, "Hell yeah!  This is why I became a paramedic!"

Have you ever had someone accidentally overhear some gallows humor?

ETA:  thank you for your service.  I was a rural EMT-I for a long time...
Link Posted: 8/25/2010 12:33:54 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

got any regulars?

One guy that has been calling since the birth of the 911 system in my city.

Our medical director said 90% of our call volume comes from people who call 911 3 times a year or more in our system.

We have lots.
Link Posted: 8/25/2010 12:35:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Yes I have talked too lound around family. Im third generation EMS. It needs to be said these things happen. I have seen a lot of fucked up things. There is a reason there is not a show like cops with Paramedics. It would be censored beyond belief. You just cant show a dead 5 year old floating face down in a ditch . I cant say a lot of things that have happened to me recently due to pending court cases. HIPAA prevents a lot of this. I have to leave details out. I dont tell stories to gross out people. I tell them so people know how fucked up the world really is. I started at 18 and aged about 20 years in one year.

Edit And about liking my job- About once a year I get to really do something to help someone. My Give a Fuck Meter is pegged at about 1. Kind of a shield
Link Posted: 8/25/2010 12:35:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Rumors are that the NREMT is going to update the prehospital care curriculum soon. Have you heard anything about this and do you think there will be big changes if this occurs?
Link Posted: 8/25/2010 12:38:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Rumors are that the NREMT is going to update the prehospital care curriculum soon. Have you heard anything about this and do you think there will be big changes if this occurs?

PHTLS has madea resurgence recently. Some things are being reviewed such as Inital IV being IO instead of IV , intubation may be restricted more and the LMA /King/ Combitube pushed more( I think thats bullshit) due to paramedics taking too long to intubate. We are trying a new type of CPR here that calls for continued CPR and less demand on Ventilations and we are seeing improvement already.
Link Posted: 8/25/2010 12:41:04 AM EDT
[#17]
How many years of experience do you have?   Do you plan on working in different field?  

Link Posted: 8/25/2010 12:44:09 AM EDT
[#18]
8 years total . 2 as a FF/First Responder,3 as NREMT Basic, 3 As Paramedic
Critical Care Paramedic, CPR Instructor, PHTLS instructor
Edit- As for another field Im in a good place now. My job is good, pay is decent and I have options if I need. I cant stand being with the patients for more than 30 mins so ER nurse is out/
Link Posted: 8/25/2010 12:53:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

PHTLS has madea resurgence recently. Some things are being reviewed such as Inital IV being IO instead of IV , intubation may be restricted more and the LMA /King/ Combitube pushed more( I think thats bullshit) due to paramedics taking too long to intubate. We are trying a new type of CPR here that calls for continued CPR and less demand on Ventilations and we are seeing improvement already.

IO is some neat stuff. I had never heard of it until I took a Wilderness EMT course and though I'll never do that as a Basic, the docs and medics in the class were talking about how quick and efficient it was. I've also been hearing a lot that trauma management is changing now due to experience gained from 10 years in shooting wars, one example is in the application of tourniquet sooner in the bleeding control timeline.
Link Posted: 8/25/2010 12:57:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

IO is some neat stuff. I had never heard of it until I took a Wilderness EMT course and though I'll never do that as a Basic, the docs and medics in the class were talking about how quick and efficient it was. I've also been hearing a lot that trauma management is changing now due to experience gained from 10 years in shooting wars, one example is in the application of tourniquet sooner in the bleeding control timeline.

Yea I dot agree with civilian use of the tourny being pushed. Some swear till they are blue in the face by it. I base my opinion on expierience . I have been to about 20 shootings. None needed one. Now some Dialsys <spelling> patients can bleed and I have been waiting to use our newly issued MATS on one. The IO has its place but I have found they have to be used with a pressure infusion bag to achive desired flow rates. A lot of our medics are not 100% on where to place it. Training was weak when it came out.
Link Posted: 8/25/2010 12:59:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Are Gage and DeSoto your heroes?

CCR FTW
Link Posted: 8/25/2010 1:04:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Before my time MGD?
Link Posted: 8/25/2010 1:07:05 AM EDT
[#23]
BTW guys I highly reccomend this book. Kind of compacted into a smaller time setting for good reading but all of this has or can happen.
http://www.randomhouse.com/catalog/display.pperl/9780375700293.html
Link Posted: 8/25/2010 1:11:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Before my time MGD?

Emergency

72-78 (?)

TV show, 2 main characters were LA County FD Paramedics.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=1077863

Jack Webb created and produced the show.

After he had done Dragnet, and Adam-12.
Link Posted: 8/25/2010 1:17:59 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
8 years total . 2 as a FF/First Responder,3 as NREMT Basic, 3 As Paramedic
Critical Care Paramedic, CPR Instructor, PHTLS instructor
Edit- As for another field Im in a good place now. My job is good, pay is decent and I have options if I need. I cant stand being with the patients for more than 30 mins so ER nurse is out/

What percent of patients are a pain in the ass?
Link Posted: 8/25/2010 1:21:34 AM EDT
[#26]
I dont like about 80% of them but Id say the drunks and welfare patients. The welfare patients call 911 for having the shits for 3 days, get in fights/wrecks and want to call the 24 hr lawyer at first chance. Also the "I want to kill myself" people. Id say 90% are full of shit. And any patient that whines about how miserable thier life is. I would have to be unconscious from blood loss or trauma to be in the back as a pt. Or at least be nice to the medic

Edit and if you can complain about how bad the ambulance rides you really didnt need to go.
Link Posted: 8/25/2010 1:27:51 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Before my time MGD?

Emergency

72-78 (?)

TV show, 2 main characters were LA County FD Paramedics.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=1077863

Jack Webb created and produced the show.

After he had done Dragnet, and Adam-12.

Ya I watch it for laughs but again it was beofre my time. It also is credited with starting 911 and getting Paramedics across the US interested.

Link Posted: 8/25/2010 1:37:54 AM EDT
[#28]
Ok off to bed. Post your questions and  Iwill chime in when I wake up .
Link Posted: 8/25/2010 8:21:55 AM EDT
[#29]
checking in...Firefighter since 1979, EMT training 1982, Paramedic training 1995.

Trust me, I have seen a lot of things.
Link Posted: 8/25/2010 8:30:18 AM EDT
[#30]
About how many calls do you have per shift (and how long are your shifts, I guess)?

The place I ran a few times (VA EMT-B, suburban volunteer agency when I can fit it in my schedule, going to talk to them about getting a regular shift now that I'm out of classes for good and have evenings free) seems to get about one or two calls in a 12-hour shift. It's always such a disappointment getting a call like "suicidal man with gun, police on scene," getting halfway there, and the call gets canceled. On the other hand, maybe that's for the best we didn't have to respond might have been a little too much excitement.
Link Posted: 8/25/2010 8:34:57 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I can tell you the toll it takes on my back picking them up.
Link Posted: 8/25/2010 9:03:17 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You guys don't make them walk to the cot?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/25/2010 9:04:01 AM EDT
[#33]
how many of your calls involve things stuck in people's butts?
Link Posted: 8/25/2010 9:06:49 AM EDT
[#34]
What would happen if I ate a package of Celox?
Link Posted: 8/25/2010 9:37:54 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have those able to do so walk to the cot or all the way to the medic.  Many to most are not able to.
Link Posted: 8/25/2010 10:13:09 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kings sound retarded to me. I mean, ok, we insert the airway. Oh crap, its too deep. Alright, pull back a little...crap its displaced. Ok, now we have to re-insert and cause more trauma to the upper airway/mouth. It you're going to go with a non-visualized airway then I'm all about the combitube. That all said, intubations are great if you can do it right the first time. The Lucas and Autopulse stuff is going to make CPR easier (if they go into use w/ everyone). Then again, this is all from someone who is still wet behind the ears when it comes to EMS.
Link Posted: 8/25/2010 10:15:45 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kings sound retarded to me. I mean, ok, we insert the airway. Oh crap, its too deep. Alright, pull back a little...crap its displaced. Ok, now we have to re-insert and cause more trauma to the upper airway/mouth. It you're going to go with a non-visualized airway then I'm all about the combitube. That all said, intubations are great if you can do it right the first time. The Lucas and Autopulse stuff is going to make CPR easier (if they go into use w/ everyone). Then again, this is all from someone who is still wet behind the ears when it comes to EMS.

The autopulse is the cat's ass.  Doing quality compressions while moving the patient from the call location to the hospital without stopping is a huge improvement.
Link Posted: 8/25/2010 1:55:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Our company has a policy against it. Say they fall while we are walking them then its our asses. We do have the new Power Stretcher that picks them up. But then they might be up 8 flights of stairs. The have a chair caled a "stair" chair for that. The new one has tank treads on it and is geared and the old one-well hope you dont slip . We still have to lift them into the unit and my back is hurting right now. Back injuries/shoulder injuries get a lot of guys. Oh and as for walking just make sure no one sees

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/25/2010 1:57:38 PM EDT
[#39]
I usually work at night. We have a population around 400,000 and 7 units . My standard truck runs roaming coverage and one night I may run two but never see the station. I worked last weekeng and ran 13 calls in a 12 hr shift and ran 4 calls in one hr. Just makes a difference on what part of the city im in. We just got back off 24 hr shifts because BP contracted a shit ton of our medics for safety medics at the spill

Quoted:
About how many calls do you have per shift (and how long are your shifts, I guess)?

The place I ran a few times (VA EMT-B, suburban volunteer agency when I can fit it in my schedule, going to talk to them about getting a regular shift now that I'm out of classes for good and have evenings free) seems to get about one or two calls in a 12-hour shift. It's always such a disappointment getting a call like "suicidal man with gun, police on scene," getting halfway there, and the call gets canceled. On the other hand, maybe that's for the best we didn't have to respond might have been a little too much excitement.

Link Posted: 8/25/2010 1:58:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
how many of your calls involve things stuck in people's butts?

They have a special tool to remove light bulbs at the Charity hospital.
Link Posted: 8/25/2010 1:59:42 PM EDT
[#41]

Look at the SALT airway. Looks pretty good to me. I dont have luck with the combiube and Im better at Visual.
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/25/2010 2:00:17 PM EDT
[#42]
What is worse:

A. Seeing a dead person

or

B. Seeing someone screaming in pain
Link Posted: 8/25/2010 2:06:03 PM EDT
[#43]
9mm or .45?
Link Posted: 8/25/2010 2:06:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Someone screamin in pain that is legit. I have seen people with thier foot angulated(turned the other way) and got them to laugh all the way to the hospital. A lot of people blow it way out of proportion. And all of my stabbing and shooting victims didnt scream.If you look calm they will be too. I had a pt stabbed several times that never went above normal talking.
Link Posted: 8/25/2010 2:10:17 PM EDT
[#45]
.45 expanding. Dont ask I have seen worse. and 223 in heavier than 55 Grn

Quoted:
9mm or .45?

Link Posted: 8/25/2010 2:12:07 PM EDT
[#46]
How do you feel your coworkers would feel about this statement; "We can do everything the ED can do in the first XX minutes."

Quoted:
Our company has a policy against it. Say they fall while we are walking them then its our asses. We do have the new Power Stretcher that picks them up. But then they might be up 8 flights of stairs. The have a chair caled a "stair" chair for that. The new one has tank treads on it and is geared and the old one-well hope you dont slip . We still have to lift them into the unit and my back is hurting right now. Back injuries/shoulder injuries get a lot of guys. Oh and as for walking just make sure no one sees

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

One of my best friends has been out for a year because of an injury suffered while lifting a patient.  I make nearly everyone move to the cot.  I'm too young to be fucked up for life.

+1 on the GAF meter pegged at 1/10.
Link Posted: 8/25/2010 2:15:54 PM EDT
[#47]

Its pretty accurate. I have heard horor stories of older medics having to go get thier bag from the truck and drop the tube, kep running the call in the hospital after they got thier because the staff was incompetent. The MD really makes the difference . The nurse may have to pick up the medics slack. If I already started the IV, pulled blood, gave ACS or breathing treatment, or intubated pretty much leaves the ER to pull labs and continue what I have done.
Quoted:
How do you feel your coworkers would feel about this statement; "We can do everything the ED can do in the first XX minutes."

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

One of my best friends has been out for a year because of an injury suffered while lifting a patient.  I make nearly everyone move to the cot.  I'm too young to be fucked up for life.

+1 on the GAF meter pegged at 1/10.

Link Posted: 8/25/2010 2:43:51 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The area I live in is one of the worst for DM1 and DM2 which is insulin and non insulin dependent diabetes. Obesity is also a problem as food is the main part of our culture. Race also predisposes some of the population. Diabetics are at higher risk of cardiac problems earlier in life. Just imagine a Diabetic 300 pound person who smokes and goes to the ER instead of a regular MD and is on medicaid and you get the idea.

I cant scream loud enough that those that cant afford health care should not get it . Im sorry when you are unemployed you sit at home collect food stamps,live in HUD housing, and have medicaid for you and your 5 kids you dont lose any weight. The proverbial "titty" needs to come out the mouth.

I work and have for the past 15 years.  I am a 30 year old mother of 2 with several health problems.  I have never smoked, drank, or done drugs.  I have undifferentiated connective tissue disease (auto-immune disease) and chronic back issues from a failed back surgery.  I also have SVT with rates that go to 180+ at rest.   I need medications that I cannot take because I cannot afford the monthly labs that go along with the medications.  When I become extremely sick I have no choice but to go to the ER. Insurance through my job is $1000 a month with high deductible and pre-existing conditions.  I HAVE NO INSURANCE.  I CANNOT AFFORD HEALTH INSURANCE.

I do not have Medicaid, food stamps, or any .gov assistance.  So I guess I should not be able to get healthcare and I should just die and/or suffer right?  Not everyone who does not have insurance is a lazy sloth.  I work my ass off day in and day out just to make it.  I am sick every day and have no energy.  Could I qualify for disability, YES.  Instead I choose to work to provide for my family despite how horrible I feel.

Link Posted: 8/25/2010 2:49:14 PM EDT
[#49]
Does MrClean4Hire have a hernia or just a third nut?
Link Posted: 8/25/2010 3:21:07 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
.45 expanding. Dont ask I have seen worse. and 223 in heavier than 55 Grn

Quoted:
9mm or .45?

I know first hand that if you put a 270 under your chin but you fail to get it at the right angle,  it will very effectively remove your entire face.  And you will live through it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top