BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/11/2002 5:53:13 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 5:55:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 5:56:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I have nothing against the police, but you cannot rely on them for you and your family's protection.
View Quote

Words to live by.
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 6:06:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Had a MD murdered near here yesterday. SHot in the head at his front door.  He lived in rural area & most likely didn't have a chance to call 911.

Have heard the 3 perps (caught 80 miles away in the doc's pickup with his checkbook) were after his guns.

Should have taken one to the door with him.  What good did they do him in a collection?
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 6:29:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 6:30:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Call the police and order a pizza.  See which one shows up first.
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 6:37:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have nothing against the police, but you cannot rely on them for you and your family's protection.
View Quote

Sad stories indeed.  

[b]POLICE DO NOT PROVIDE PERSONAL PROTECTION.[/b]

They are employed to maintain GENERAL public safety and law enforcement.
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 7:32:06 AM EDT
[#7]
This is not cop bashing, but the simple fact is that they cannot be everywhere at once.  Physics and all that.  The people who think that they can protect everyone are dreaming or, better yet, it's just their excuse to cry for more gun control.
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 8:48:02 AM EDT
[#8]
...no we can't be everywhere at once...on a good night there are 3 of us patroling a 180 square mile district, most of it rural, are the bean counters going to hire more officers? No. Are we getting a raise this year? Maybe, but not sure. Are we getting any new cars this year? No. We can't be everywhere at once but do have a remarkable response time................
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 8:54:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
...no we can't be everywhere at once...on a good night there are 3 of us patroling a 180 square mile district, most of it rural, are the bean counters going to hire more officers? No. Are we getting a raise this year? Maybe, but not sure. Are we getting any new cars this year? No. We can't be everywhere at once but do have a remarkable response time................
View Quote

Nobody here [b]wants[/b] the police to be everywhere at once. That's called a police state. The point was made to counter the liberal, anti-gun logic that says we don't need guns for self-defense because we have police for that.

No one with an ounce of sense faults police, except in the most extreme and unusual cases, for not being there when the feces hits the fan. Y'all aren't psychic, right?
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 9:18:19 AM EDT
[#10]
The police have never helped me, only harrassed me, I had my car broken into a few months ago, the cops wouldnt even come take a report. I live in a nice neighborhood, and all the police do is sit in my neighborhood, and try to bust everyone for speeding! Instead of going after real criminals they try to bust honest hard working people like myself.
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 9:19:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 9:28:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 10:14:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Along the same line of thought as the original post, a few years back, in NYC just around the corner from the 19th precinct my brother was shot to death during a robbery of our shop. In NYC a criminal can almost bank on a non LEO not to have a gun so it is, in effect, easy for criminals when they storm into your shop with intentons of robbery or murder. The sad part of this story is that my brother and I both got turned down for a CCW in NYC so we were basically at the mercy of the bad guys. My brother had a perfect record but he didn't make enough money to warrant a CCW in thier opinion, but he did get a target only permit a week after he was killed.
View Quote

I'm very sorry to hear about your brother.

I was wondering if there's any liability/culpability on the part of the issuing authority (NYPD?). There's certainly enough anecdotal evidence of armed citizens thwarting crime. This looks like a case where a horrible crime was [b]allowed[/b] to happen because the issuing authority made sure that no one was in a position to stop it. BTW, I'm not an attorney so I have really have no idea about this and would love to hear a learned answer on this.

And going back to the original point of the thread, I've worked with several cops, I know a few on a friendly basis. I have nothing but respect for them. But they [b]can't[/b] be everywhere at once. Nor should they, as Jarhead pointed out.

The people who feel that "You don't need a gun; the police will protect you," are either (a) delusional, (b) typical liberal thinkers who think it's government's job to take care of you so you don't have to bear any responsibility for anything except paying taxes, OR (c) methodical gungrabbers preying on the fears of the people in (a) and (b).
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 10:34:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Why didn't you sue oneshot?

It looks like a good case.

If they rejected you and your brothers permits because you didn't make enough money they violated your 14th Amendment right to equal protection under the law.

You could have also challenged that the selective permit issuance system itself was also a violation of equal protection, as well as imposing a 'special arrangement' that made the state liable for your brothers protection.
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 10:51:37 AM EDT
[#15]
See, the police couldn't even protect "Notorious B.I.G.".  Someone should forward this thread to the heirs.

Notorious B.I.G. heirs sue LAPD, officials, city

LOS ANGELES, California (CNN) -- Heirs of the late rap star Notorious B.I.G. have filed a wrongful death and federal civil rights lawsuit against Los Angeles Police Chief Bernard Parks, two former chiefs and the city of Los Angeles, claiming they did not do enough to prevent the rapper's death five years ago in a drive-by shooting.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 9:57:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top