Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/10/2002 10:32:38 PM EDT
My wife loves these dogs! She wants a dog that is bigger them I'm and I'd like to know from people out there how do you like your dog?

I have a son who is about 22 months old so I have to think of him.

I have about three dogs picked out that I want to get after boot camp one is the Mastiff the next is a Anatolian shepherd (like butch on the movie Cats& Dogs) Last is a Black lab.

I want a dog that is friendly loving and caring for my family and can kick someone a$$ if need be.
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 10:45:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 11:09:37 PM EDT
[#2]
A neighbor has three unruly Mastiffs.  They are terrifying.  A couple of times I've had to run from them.  Thankfully so far, I've been close enough to a car or my house or something I could use to fend them off with.  I hit one of them on the head with the back of an axe when it kept trying to get behind me and bite the back of my thigh.  I didn't hit it that hard, but it didn't even react to the hit.  Tough dogs.  The owner spent a fortune (over a $1,000 each, I think) on the dogs and much more on training.  I know they make her feel more secure, but several of us, including a farmer that's lost several peach trees (yes, they dug-up several small trees!), a neighbor that lost a goat, and a guy with two horses that the dogs chase, would disagree.  These mastiffs and the other two I've been around do not growl.  Apparently, they're so large, they don't have to.  You don't get much warning before they attack like you would otherwise have with a smaller dog that would yap or growl or otherwise try to assume a threatening posture.  Also, these dogs are sedentary the majority of the time, but when they're active, it's like a switch goes off and they're at 100%. I wouldn't want my 22 month-old, or even a 22 year-old around one.  A 22 month-old would probably be terribly confused and maybe terrified by a dog that doesn't move much most of the time, then suddenly springs to life.  Also, the lack of warning before attacking would not be a good thing.  Also, this is a little funny.  When the woman's 3 year-old granddaughter is around the dogs, she gets constantly knocked-down by their tails.  It's cute.z
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 11:12:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Mastiff's are great dogs, if socialized and brought up well, (inside dog). You want a dog that can kick some A**....why is your third pick a lab, they are hardly a**kickers ever.
View Quote

I was raised with a labe and he was about 80lbs black as night and no one ever screwed with him or us when ever he was outside. I once saw him place a 6'8 350lbs man on top of his UPS truck because we where outside.
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 11:31:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a 110lb pitbull, she is the sweetest dog, but I would never have her around  kids because she is just too BIG.. if she jumps up on me it knocks ME down, she is a gentle dog, but she hurts me all the time accidentially, I say get a smaller dog since you have a little kid.., plus they eat less food, they fit in the car, and on the couch easier, they are easier to walk etc, although I wouldnt trade my pit for anything, not even a hk mp5... the tan one is the pitbull, the other one is a mut, only 45lbs, no one knows what kind of dog she is..

[img]http://www.auction.2y.net/user/mahabali/dogs.JPG[/img]
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 11:37:17 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't have a Mastiff but know several.  Now are you talking about an English Mastiff or a Bull Mastiff?  I love the English Mastiff, they are a beautiful giant of a dog, yet very mellow in temperment.  They can be guardy but for the most part are very good with children.  Just make sure the kid doesn't get bowled over by an excited puppy.

The Bull Mastiff is smaller, but a more aggressive breed.  Can't say I am very fond of them, though I have met a couple nice ones.  Just don't go for the squished nose look.

The Anatolian is a beautiful breed.  They were going to be my choice before I found the Greater Swiss.  Anatolians can have very sharp temperments though so may not be the best around a small kid.  They sure can kick ass though.

Good luck with whatever you choose and remember to train and socialize the puppy extensively.
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 11:42:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Two words, AMERICAN BULLDOG

They fit your requirements exactly.  Laid back, especially good with kids, and 120 pounds of bulldog.  What else would anyone need?

[img]http://www.bamas-best-kennels.net/RattlerNew.JPG[/img]
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 12:04:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Molonlabe79,

What part of the country are you in? I may be able to refer you to a breeder.

Adrian
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 2:47:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Molonlabe79,

What part of the country are you in? I may be able to refer you to a breeder.

Adrian
View Quote

Right now in IL but soon will be shipped off to boot camp in CAL then after that be stationed in Cal or HI.
I'll be getting the dog after I find out where I'll be stationed at most likely I'll be at Cal or HI. I will not know that until about September when I get to know where I'll be based at.

I'd like to get the dog right now but do to the lease I have there is no dogs allowed.
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 3:21:54 AM EDT
[#9]
I would advise very strongly about having a mastiff around little children, there is a potential for disaster , it ain't worth it. Plus they have a habit of not likeing anyone who is not family, not good when you childrens friends come over (but good for in-laws). If you want a big dog that is a great companion and very kid friendly I suggest a newfoundland, I have owned one and they are fantastic dogs, very big, love kids (it will become a nanny), great swimmers (will even do water rescues)
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 3:25:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Mahabali, your little mutt looks like it is part smooth fox terrier (ears, tail,markings and snout), but it is hard to tell from the photo.
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 3:44:13 AM EDT
[#11]

you have to have a dog?
just out of boot.
new family
new baby.
and you want an expensive dog?

these are all large dogs that can turn large bags of expensive dog food.
into worthless dog s#it.

my advice is wait until you are older,
the kid is 5 years old and the family will be more settled.  

if you have to get a dog now i would go with the English mastiff.  (not the bull mastiff).
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 3:55:56 AM EDT
[#12]
This past Christmas my wife and I just got my dream dog half English mastiff half great dane.  You know, a queen sized dog.  The mastiffs have a reputation for being kid friendly and our three kids love him.  Our boy is one year old and the dog nearly ignors him even when used as a step ladder to climb onto the couch.  Very intuitive animal.  Plays rough with me and with varying degrees with the kids as to their size.

We waited until we had land, money for food, and the kids were old enough to purchase this dog.  I would advise the same.  Planerench out.
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 9:49:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Molonlabe79,

If and when you're ready, contact me via e-mail and I'll refer you to a breeder. I know a breeder in the Southern California area that breeds American Bulldogs, and his brother breeds Mastiffs.

Adrian
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 10:26:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Had an English Mastiff for years. Raised him from a pup. NEVER had any problems with my very small children. I really think some here are confusing English Mastiffs with other breeds.

BUT they are huge and consume massive amounts of food. Very expensive. Don't need much exercise, but can run like greased lightning when they want to. Powerful is an understatement. Gentle as a lamb, fierce as a lion. Loyal, they really are a one man (or woman) dog. Would die protecting you and your family. Probably the best dog I've ever had the pleasure of owning.

Dang, I miss that dog.
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 3:09:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Get an ADBA registered [b]AMERICAN PIT BULL TERRIER[/b]. This is the true "Delta Force" of ALL dogs, period. Properly socialized, this is "THE" dog to have! Kind, intelligent, caring, and eager to please.

Ass Kicking? A 170 lb English Mastiff, 140 lb French Mastiff, 130 lb Great Dane, Tosa Inu,  or Rot would be mincemeat against a game 60 lb APBT. Of course, spaying/neutering the dog will almost always have an effect on temperament.

After saying this, I also want to say this breed usually does require an extra measure of socialization as a pup, so that it is not overly aggressive to other dogs. If you are not naturally "good" with animals, then get a different breed.

Tyler
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 4:24:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Young Man, you have all the makings of a SNCO's worst nightmare.  Providing you make it through boot camp.

First Term Marine with the following baggage.

Spouse.
Child.
Champagne desires on a [s]beer[/s] punk and puke(bread and water for the uninitiated reader) budget.

In short, unless you are independently wealthy or Mama & Daddy still pay your way, you are going to be barely able to make ends meet with just your wife and child.  You will not see base housing for at least 1 year regardless of where you get stationed.  If you get a set of orders to Hawaii, the State has a mandatory 6 month rabies quarantine that you have to pay for.  Have you checked apartment prices in Oceanside, Kaneohe, or Kailua?  And then figured out what you will make with base pay, VHA, and Comrats?  What do you plan to feed your family?  Air pudding?  What kind of transportation have you got to get you from off base to on base @ 0345.  I suppose you will also want your wife to be able to take the kid to the doctor while you field day the CO's passageway.  Of course, you will plead your case.  "Well you see Staff Sergeant, I can't make it to the morning muster because I gotta take my kid/wife/dog/vehicle to the doctor/vet/mechanic at that time, Sir".  And then complain when you get a set of 3.5/3.3 Pro/Con marks, or find yourself marching out of the CO's office wondering how you are going to make ends meet after being awarded a reduction in rank at your NJP proceedings for repetitive UA charges, or on your way to CCU or the Brig.

I'm not trying to bust your balls there hardcharger.  I'm speaking from over 15 years of experience as an Active Duty Marine.

Time for you to get a reality check, or get the hell out of my Corps while you still can.  Your NCO's and SNCO's will not waste their time with the type of damaged goods you are bringing.

If you think I'm being a little bit hard about this, then don't heed my counsel.  Go find out for yourself.  You are about to take a 20 story swan dive into the street of reality.  
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 4:32:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Young Man, you have all the makings of a SNCO's worst nightmare.  Providing you make it through boot camp.

Spouse.
Child.
Champagne desires on a [s]beer[/s] punk and puke(bread and water for the uninitiated reader) budget.

In short, unless you are independently wealthy or Mama & Daddy still pay your way, you are going to be barely able to make ends meet with just your wife and child.  You will not see base housing for at least 1 year regardless of where you get stationed.  If you get a set of orders to Hawaii, the State has a mandatory 6 month rabies quarantine that you have to pay for.  Have you checked apartment prices in Oceanside, Kaneohe, or Kailua?  And then figured out what you will make with base pay, VHA, and Comrats?  What do you plan to feed your family?  Air pudding?  What kind of transportation have you got to get you from off base to on base @ 0345.  I suppose you will also want your wife to be able to take the kid to the doctor while you field day the CO's passageway.  Of course, you will plead your case.  "Well you see Staff Sergeant, I can't make it to the morning muster because I gotta take my kid/wife/dog/vehicle to the doctor/vet/mechanic at that time, Sir".  And then complain when you get a set of 3.5/3.3 Pro/Con marks, or find yourself marching out of the CO's office wondering how you are going to make ends meet after being awarded a reduction in rank at your NJP proceedings for repetitive UA charges, or on your way to CCU or the Brig.

I'm not trying to bust your balls there hardcharger.  I'm speaking from over 15 years of experience as an Active Duty Marine.

Time for you to get a reality check, or get the hell out of my Corps while you still can.  Your NCO's and SNCO's will not waste their time with the type of damaged goods you are bringing.

If you think I'm being a little bit hard about this, then don't heed my counsel.  Go find out for yourself.  You are about to take a 20 story swan dive into the street of reality.  
View Quote

From one NCO to another-[B]SWITCH TO DECAF![/B]
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 4:51:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Spouse.
Child.

View Quote

Not worried about money to much my wife is a RN she will be making at least $25+ per hour and can get a job anywhere she wants. We have been doing well for me being out of work for the last past 7 months and right now only getting a 14 hour week at the place I found a job at now.

I understand what you are saying but I'm not going to be the only one working and my wife is going to make a hell of a lot more money then I will.I have gone through hard times eating Raman noddles for two weeks straight because I was laid off and had bill's to pay.
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 5:23:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Anyone possess a massive stiff?  [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 6:04:59 PM EDT
[#20]
I have to second the pit bull idea here.

I have two, both from registered parents. Both are affectionate, good natured, intelligent, and EXTREMELY well tempered and love kids.

I also know more than a few people with pit bulls, and all are great with kids. Especialy when raised with the child. I've seen little kids punch, slap, and pull their ears. They never seem to mind.

The only problem with pits is that some really don't like other dogs. So be prepared to deal with that. Even when socialized at a young age they are aggresive towards other dogs.

The main thing to do when looking for a pit, look for a good breeder. Don't just buy one from a back yard type breeder. Look around and do your homework, and you'll be much happier.
Apart from that, I would have to say that me and the wife have thought about mastiffs before and think they're pretty neat dogs. But have no personal dealings with them.

Either way, good luck.
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 7:16:43 PM EDT
[#21]
My 11 month old female chocolate lab. She acts like a gung ho soldier, she doesn't question, she just executes. Of course the collar conditioning helped reenforce
her obedience. Great dog, plus she retrieves really well (for 11 months.)
I'm really looking forward to duck hunting this fall with her. PS: thats yogert on her face.
[img]personalpages.tds.net/~eflanagin/billieyogertweb.jpg[/img]

[img]personalpages.tds.net/~eflanagin/billiefirebow3.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 10:03:18 AM EDT
[#22]
I think right now the shock of finding out these dogs cost about $1,000+ has got me thinking of another dog. I also have only been looking at breeders so there might be some out there that are cheaper.
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 10:28:12 AM EDT
[#23]
Vortex - Beautiful Dog!

I've raised several Blk Labs. Beautiful dogs. They are not a$$-kickers.

Chesapeak Bay Retreivers are known to be a little more aggressive defensively than Labs and Goldens.
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 11:09:31 AM EDT
[#24]
Please consider a temperament tested adult dog from a rescue group.
There are many dogs who are great with kids, who due to circumstances, wind up offered for adoption.
Since both you and the wife work full time, who will be home to raise and train a puppy?
Will the puppy go to day care with your child?

My brother and his wife have a pair of mastiffs they have had since pups, but since both of them work, the dogs have some serious behavior problems, the full grown male is vicious as hell with outsiders.
An obedience class once a week is just not enough.
Trust me, there is nothing more terrifying than an animal the size of a small horse that wants to kill you. And the young female pup chews up everything in her reach.
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 12:00:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Please consider a temperament tested adult dog from a rescue group.
There are many dogs who are great with kids, who due to circumstances, wind up offered for adoption.
Since both you and the wife work full time, who will be home to raise and train a puppy?
Will the puppy go to day care with your child?

My brother and his wife have a pair of mastiffs they have had since pups, but since both of them work, the dogs have some serious behavior problems, the full grown male is vicious as hell with outsiders.
An obedience class once a week is just not enough.
Trust me, there is nothing more terrifying than an animal the size of a small horse that wants to kill you. And the young female pup chews up everything in her reach.
View Quote

Thanks for the info on that.. That is something we are going to have to think of. I'm not going to get the dog for about 6 or so months and I know one thing I'm going to do is take a few days off when I first get it to be with it. Hell I just might drive and pick it up if its a few states away that is unless I'm in HI.  

My wife has said that she is going to take it to class as soon as it's old enough to go to it.

I don't know if the wife is going to work full time or not yet she has missed out in the past two years a lot with are son as she worked full time and I think now she want to spend a little more time with are son. But she is only going to start doing this after we have a few month's to see how the bills and pay are going to be.
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 3:02:44 PM EDT
[#26]
hi just want to give you a little advise about Mastiffs.I have one and I have to say she's the best dog I ever had, she's loving,protective,big and gentle.and she is an in house dog.As puppies they recommend you feed them low protein food and need lots of room to run.The only thing i can tell you is to get a book and read about them.
                  TNT's wife
[50]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top