Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/10/2002 8:22:57 PM EDT
[url]http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2002/04/03/60II/main505292.shtml[/url]

'Transferring' The Arabs?

April 9, 2002

Palmach Ze’evi is a leader of the 'transfer' movement. (CBS)

“Remember the Second World War? Remember how it ended in Japan? We’re talking about a much more civilized solution.”?
Palmach Ze’evi about the policy of transfer.

(CBS) As the body count climbs in the holy land, Israelis are so desperate for a solution, so convinced that peace is not possible that nearly half of them say they favor a policy called "Transfer."

You’ve probably never heard the term. Until recently, it was never discussed in polite Israeli society. It means simply “Arabs get out” and only marginal extremists dared advocate it in public until now, reports 60 Minutes II correspondent Bob Simon.

Yasser Arafat, the man Israelis and Americans recently called a partner in peace, is in his sixth day as a hostage in his own headquarters. One of the reasons is because he has refused to hand over the men who murdered Israeli tourism minister Rehavam Ze’evi a few months ago in Jerusalem.

Ze’evi, an ex-general, headed a tiny right wing party that openly called for the transfer of Palestinians out the West Bank and Gaza. Throughout Ze’evi’s career, his transfer party was on the fringes, but, just months after his death, his idea has taken on new life.

And, Ze’evi’s son, Palmach, has picked up his father’s mantle: “We believe that two nations cannot share the same piece of land,” says Palmach Ze’evi. “It doesn’t work anywhere in the world. It doesn’t work here. If two nations cannot share this land, it is for the Jews, for the Israelis, to stay in the land of Israel.”

According to a poll last month conducted by a leading Israeli institute, 46 percent of Israeli Jews now agree.

“Unfortunately, transfer is becoming a legitimate political idea, “ says Hirsh Goodman, senior research associate at Tel Aviv University’s Jaffee Center for Strategic Studies, which conducted the survey.

”The word ‘transfer’ has definitely become a code for separation: 'let’s disengage, get them out of my life. I cannot live with these people.'”

Transfer has entered the mainstream because disaster has become part of daily life in Israel. Having a beer in a café, going to the supermarket, taking a bus and celebrating the first night of Passover all have become risky because of suicide bombings by Palestinians.

“The country is boiling with anger and they can’t see a political solution,” says Goodman. “So they are saying ‘Them there and us here’ and the right wing politicians are pouncing on that sentiment.”

Link Posted: 4/10/2002 8:23:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Right wing politicians are not saying that Palestinians should be forced out of the country, the way so many were during Israel’s war of independence in 1948. What they are suggesting is that the army make life so impossible for the Palestinians that they will choose to leave.

And whether or not that is the army’s objective, it’s certainly what’s happening in Ramallah right now. There’s no risk of getting blown up in a supermarket; it’s impossible to get there because tanks block the streets and snipers shoot anyone who looks threatening.

“If people find the situation so hard and so dangerous that they prefer to move to some other part of the world or some other part of the region, it’s a tragedy but it is something that I cannot stop,” says Effi Eitam, once a top Israeli general who is now retired.

“As a result of war, many Palestinians may find themselves again as refugees, on the other side, the eastern side, of the Jordan River,” he says.

Eitam and many of his colleagues on the far right say Palestinians can live and farm their fields with broad civilian autonomy but would have no vote and no army. They can accept those conditions or leave.

Palestinians Naim and Rana Daour say ‘no’ to both options. They live with their two children in the West Bank town of Hebron, where their families’ roots go back 1,200 years.

“We believe that our fate and destiny is to live here, and to die here,” says Naim. “Leaving this will be leaving our culture, our heritage, our religion, our identity, our past and our future.”

The Daours are not surprised about the poll results on “transfer.” They say it’s clear that Israel is moving to the political right.

But then so are the Palestinians.

“If if you ask Palestinians today what they think about the Israelis, they would have some similar poll, what to do with Israelis,” says Professor Munzer Dajani, who teaches sociology in Jerusalem.

”I’m not speaking about driving them to the sea, but I am speaking about sending them back to Russia and Poland and Czechoslovakia,” he says. “I think the Palestinians would feel very strongly that these people should go back home.”

But, of course, Israelis say they are home. And the Jewish settlers in Hebron add that if you don’t believe it, read the Bible.

“This country is Jewish country. It’s Jewish land. It was given by god to the Jewish people,” says Noam Arnon, a settler leader.

Palmach Ze’evi doesn’t flinch at the thought of the removal of hundreds of thousands of Palestinians. “The Americans have done much more dramatic moves in order to stop violence and end conflict,” he says. “Remember the Second World War? Remember how it ended in Japan? We’re talking about a much more civilized solution.”

Of course, that depends who you talk to.

“Do you think the Israeli army, do you think my son, is going to put people in a bus and transfer them across the border,” asks Goodman. He claims such a move would destroy Israel morally.

“We’re going to live like a scourge, with transfer - the mark of Cain - on our foreheads? I cannot conceive that a Jew would see putting people on a railway carriage, and transferring them anywhere. It is totally inconceivable that a Jewish state would do that.”

But Ze’evi has a different view: “One nation is gonna be forced out of here. One tribe is gonna go out. I prefer it’s the Arabs.”
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 8:37:24 PM EDT
[#2]

Whatever it takes to rid the land of the hostile vermin (radical Palestinians that is). Jordan, Syria, Lebanon, could easily take them - as they did the first time. They're already the majority of the population of Jordan. Shouldn't THAT be the "Palestinian State"?

Okay, now I'll get out of the way and let ETH, subslr and G-man duke it out some more [;)]
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 8:58:28 PM EDT
[#3]
I'll go along with transfer. Its Isreali land, and the Arabs have plenty more. Build a Palestinian Phoenix in the desert. Move em out.
Jesus said "Love thy neighbor". Some people you just have to love from a distance.
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 9:03:16 PM EDT
[#4]
It still amuses me that Palestine has never been a nation and that these ancestors of nomads should have any right to another Arab state, when they clearly have proven no capability to honor any peace with the jews.  Why should Israel have to look over its shoulder every day and wonder if the lives of its citizens are in danger.  Screw Bush on this one, he's overstepped his bounds to save face with other terrorist supporting governments.  We need Israel to win this one.  This sounds like a good idea, lets hope it becomes reality.
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 9:03:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Blah blah blah blah.....

We already picked sides.  I doubt you are going to change anyones mind....so let it go man!!

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 9:14:49 PM EDT
[#6]
God ceded Texas to me, so the rest of you will now be transferred.  Leave your womenz on your way out.  Goodbye.  What, you disagree?  You have no say in this - after all GOD GAVE ME THIS LAND!
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 9:48:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Read...

[url]http://www.gallup.com/poll/releases/pr020409.asp[/url]
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 9:53:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Fuck it.  [I]Showers [/I] for everyone!
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 9:55:57 PM EDT
[#9]
This calls for a poll...transfer or no transfer?

-kill-9
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 10:31:46 PM EDT
[#10]
BYE BYE killers!!!!!!!! Don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way out!!!

Send' em packin'.
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 11:19:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Good link, AL -
Still, about four in 10 Americans express views that are critical of the Israeli actions, and large majorities want both the Israelis and the Palestinians to stop their violence against each other, regardless of what the other side does.
View Quote

Then large majorities of Americans are fantasy driven, spineless twits.  No violence - regardless of what the other side does??  More liberal, wrist wringing, bed-wetting bs. "Don't resist your attacker - run if you can"

Tate       [rolleyes]                [puke]

[heavy]
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 12:47:10 AM EDT
[#12]
While I found the article interesting, I found the subject of this thread offensive.  Using the term "final solution" in relation to what the Jews are talking about is just wrong.  I don't care how much you disagree with Israel, throwing that phrase around is unconscionable.  Are you claiming that this is as bad as when they were the target of the "final solution?"  Moving people from a disputed territory is bad, but starving them and putting them in ovens and gas chambers is much worse.z
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 9:56:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
While I found the article interesting, I found the subject of this thread offensive.  Using the term "final solution" in relation to what the Jews are talking about is just wrong.  I don't care how much you disagree with Israel, throwing that phrase around is unconscionable.  Are you claiming that this is as bad as when they were the target of the "final solution?"  Moving people from a disputed territory is bad, but starving them and putting them in ovens and gas chambers is much worse.z
View Quote

Save it. This is exactly like 1930s Germany, Kristalnacht and the Nuremberg laws.

"Right wing politicians are not saying that Palestinians should be forced out of the country, the way so many were during Israel’s war of independence in 1948. What they are suggesting is that the army make life so impossible for the Palestinians that they will choose to leave."

This is exactly like German "Resettlement." Palestinian towns are very close to Ghettos. And getting closer daily.

“We’re going to live like a scourge, with transfer - the mark of Cain - on our foreheads? I cannot conceive that a Jew would see putting people on a railway carriage, and transferring them anywhere. It is totally inconceivable that a Jewish state would do that.”

So where will it go from here? Concentration Camps? Death Camps? Not likely, the hypocracy would be too obvious. But the fact remains, you have group A wanting to completely get rid of Group B.

And now the important part. In World War 2 global support was against the Nazis. As a result history overlooked everythig else. Today you have global support for the Palestinians. It simply doesn't matter that they are a country dominated by terrorists. The global perception is the Israel and the US are prosecuting a unjust war. History will judge us accordingly.

Much like Vietnam, I think this situation will turn to shit. It's hard to justify a invasion. We need to break free of Israel and let them do whatever they are gonna do. Better for them, they can operate without US restraint. Better for us, we can quit getting blamed for Israels actions.
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 10:25:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Post from SteyrAUG -
Palestinian towns are very close to Ghettos. And getting closer daily.
View Quote

If Palestinian towns are like ghettos, it is because the Palestinians demanded nothing more from Chairman Arafat. There were no improvements during the period of Palestinian Authority control of the West Bank.

The only thing that 'improved' was that instead of throwing rocks, the intifadah moved into launching 'human' smart bombs, and have even improved the explosices delivered by such 'smart' bombs!

So if the Palestinian towns and villages are uncouth, it is because the Palestinians are uncouth!

But Saudi Arabia and the other Arab states would rather have a suffering Palestinian enclave in their midst and spend money on new rockets, new arms, new explosives and pay offs to the families of the martyrs, than to invest in any capital improvements!

Gee, I guess that the United States is not the only 'friend' that is treated badly by the Arabs - the Palestinians haven't been helped much by their Arab 'friends' either!

Eric The(UnlessMartyrdomIsMarketable)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 11:32:38 AM EDT
[#15]
You are right Styer.  It is exactly like WWII Germany.  The Arabs want Israel exterminated but this time the Jews are more powerful and are going to end the thing as bloodless as their enemy will allow.  Planerench out.
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 2:18:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

They're already the majority of the population of Jordan. Shouldn't THAT be the "Palestinian State"?

View Quote

You are correct, the Hashemite kingdom of Jordan IS Palistine...of course the Palistinians tried to F*ck things up there too some years ago, hence "Black September".....

[url]http://www.onwar.com/aced/data/bravo/blacksept1970.htm[/url]

...There seems to be a trend there....
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 2:36:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

They're already the majority of the population of Jordan. Shouldn't THAT be the "Palestinian State"?

View Quote

You are correct, the Hashemite kingdom of Jordan IS Palistine...of course the Palistinians tried to F*ck things up there too some years ago, hence "Black September".....

[url]http://www.onwar.com/aced/data/bravo/blacksept1970.htm[/url]

...There seems to be a trend there....
View Quote

And then they went to Lebanon and did the same thing, bringing on a 15 year civil war and intervention by both Israel and Syria.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top