Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/10/2002 12:03:03 PM EDT
If the arabs cut off our oil why don't we screw em and start drilling do you think they will cut off the oil and will we have the balls too drill?
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 12:12:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm having difficulty grasping what you're asking if you didn't run your sentences on together it might be easier to understand don't you think?
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 12:33:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 12:42:21 PM EDT
[#3]
One of the financial analysts (I think it was on MSNBC) put it very precisely the other night when asked the same question. He said the only thing keeping the economy of any Arab nation from turning into the economy of Tanzania is oil. The people will put up with an economic downturn for about two days before they revolt.
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 1:02:33 PM EDT
[#4]
I think when they say they won't sell us oil we should tell them good it won't take long for the arabs too realize there mistake. they will discover there other natural resource, sand isn't worth much.
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 1:23:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Last time the Arabs tried to cut down on oil production significantly, we wound up with more fuel-efficient cars and the Arab states suffered much worse financially than we did.
They won't that mistake again, particularly with Russia waiting in the wings to take up the slack.
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 1:29:28 PM EDT
[#6]
I agree, the only problem is that there are a lot more enviro-whackos in this country now.  If we start drilling in places like the Arctic Refuge, or offshore near San Francisco, we'll have Greenpeace and the ELF people sabotaging equipment and generally making things difficult.  
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 1:35:52 PM EDT
[#7]
yup, the same peace-protester/conservative that will complain about 3.00 a gallon this summer. will drive to the protest headquarters and park his SUV next to the other SUV's . Bright n early to protest the drilling, cause a certien type of tadpole lives there....
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 1:42:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Or we could just nuke the f*ckers and take the oil for free.
Mike
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 2:06:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Or we could just nuke the f*ckers and take the oil for free.
Mike
View Quote

My guess is that it would not take nukes to take and keep the Arabs' oil.

We would have to "nuke" the liberals of the western world, though.

Let's just do it.
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 2:33:35 PM EDT
[#10]
When people hear "oil imports" they always think of the Mid East. But the fact is that most of our oil comes from Canada and Mexico. Next on the list, i believe, is Iraq, if u can believe it.

Per the latest DOE stats for Year 2000:

Western Hemisphere: 6/16 of our oil
Mid East: 5/16 of our oil
Europe and Africa: 4/16
Pacific Asia: 1/16

So when people say we need to cut our dependence on foreign oil, realize that they are talking about our neighbors first.

Personally i think we should drain the arabs dry, then we can leave that region alone forever. And if we do need oil that the rest of the world cant produce, then we should go and take it. USA!!!
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 2:38:08 PM EDT
[#11]
I believe (although I could be wrong) that it is still cheaper by the barrel to buy from OPEC than it is to produce domestically.

Any business major will tell you the way to maximize profit is to obtain the raw product as cheaply as possible and sell for the best price.

That (and the fact that our misguided environmentally coscious bretheren are politically powerful) is the reason we still import nearly 60% of our oil.

Do you really think that if we were not dependent upon OPEC oil we would be tolerating the crap that we do from the Saudis?

It was easy to justify what we did to the Taliban. The US does not depend on Afghanistan for anything other than heroin, but that's another story.

The Arabs who have oil however, have us by the balls. If we piss them off, the big Oil boys will have a Fit. This is why Bush has no problems smashing the Afghanis like bugs and at the same time is telling Israel to back off.

It's all about MONEY!
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 2:44:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 2:59:57 PM EDT
[#13]
I've never been happy with using their oil in the first place.

We can use other things to power our cars, like Alcohol. Its cleaner burning, easier on the engine, and re-newable.

All we would need oil for is lubrication, then we could use domestic oil for that.

More on alternative fuels later as i'm in the process of building an alternative fuel vehicle.

NOTE: Brazil is a country which uses alcohol to power its vehicles.
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 3:31:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 3:42:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Last I heard, we feed the world. Trade food for oil. Starve the bastards deeper into the stone age.
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 3:48:13 PM EDT
[#16]
If there is so much oil in the Soviet Union, why is our government treating the Oil Shieks so well??

I hate to harp, but what is needed is the tunnel for a rail line and pipeline across the Bering Strait. Grain goes west, oil goes east.

But even without that we should be able to get all the oil we need from tankers out of either the Black Sea or from Vladisvostok, we dont even need to use the Suez Canal, what is the holdup?
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 3:52:52 PM EDT
[#17]
The oil from there does go to Japan, also most of the oil from the mid east also goes there. We protect Japan's interest by keeping our Armed Forces in the mid East.

I also agree with alternative fuels, even hydrogen. The Twin Towers would not have collapsed if the Jet's use that as fuel.
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 3:57:35 PM EDT
[#18]
If they embargo us, we should honorably send their Pacific Fleet to the ocean floor and bring them into the American Greater Arabian Co-Prosperity Sphere. For the glory of our respected Ancestors.

I mean, all the dickhead apologist moral relativist historians tell us it was our own fault the Nips bombed Pearl Harbor, right? So it would serve the linenmelons right if we did the same to them.
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 4:15:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
If there is so much oil in the Soviet Union, why is our government treating the Oil Shieks so well??

.... all the oil we need from tankers out of either the Black Sea or from Vladisvostok..
View Quote

Where is the technology to produce the oil in Russia ?

(I have some familiarity with Vlad but not the Black Sea area.)

How does the oil get to Vlad ?  How many roads connect Vlad to central Russia ?  How many railroads connect to Vlad ?

How long for the technology ?

Just for the heck of it how does Russia distribute the grain they receive ??
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 5:03:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 5:12:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 5:13:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

My Dad and I (both geologists/geophysicists) have been doing work both here an in Kazakhstan.  
View Quote

brou,
I'd sure be interested in about anything you care to share about that part of the world.  Does the government control the oil ?  Who is drilling, how deep, thickness of the better zones, what are they doing with the gas - anything that isn't confidential.  Local attitudes and color - anything - because I'm woefully ignorant as to that area.
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 5:22:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 5:41:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 5:54:08 PM EDT
[#25]
I[i] think [/i] what I heard last night was:

Russia produces a lot of oil but due to inefficiencies, they use most of it.
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 6:03:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 6:15:51 PM EDT
[#27]
The U.S. will always drill for oil at a pace to keep the technology evolving and that's it. We will never use our reserves up until we use every other countries up first, it`s the only strategically smart thing to do. Our nations military and industry runs on fossil fuels not alcohol or some hybrid grain fuel bullshit. The name of the game is keep OPEC or whoever your buying from in line so the price is high enough that the U.S. oil drilling industry can stay alive, but low enough that the rest of the nation can afford the fuel without going broke. If we use our oil up first it doesn`t matter who you`re buying from whether it`s Canada, Mexico, Russia or the Mid East. WE WOULD BE SCREWED! $1000.00 A BBL. That's the price if you want, cause you ain't got nun.  
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 6:35:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
brou,
I'd sure be interested in about anything you care to share about that part of the world.  Does the government control the oil ?  Who is drilling, how deep, thickness of the better zones, what are they doing with the gas - anything that isn't confidential.  Local attitudes and color - anything - because I'm woefully ignorant as to that area.
View Quote

It is a little confusing.  The government controls the land.  You make bids on property so that you can drill.  Depending on the agreement you make with the Ministry, the gov't may keep 5-20% of the profits.  It all varies.

Who is drilling?  Well, all the major companies are.  Many smaller companies as well that you would have never heard of.  My Dad and I are working on bringing other clients (ahem...you know who I'm talking to) to the table to purchase other fields.

Many of the oil producing zones are extremely shallow...say maybe 1500-2000m.  Then there are some that are closer to 5000-6000m.  From my experience, most are fairly shallow...especially when compared to how deep we must drill here in the US.

Thickness?  Well, that highly varies.  Anywhere from 60ft or so all the way to 5000ft (no joke!).  

The gas, in the areas I've been working, is being flared off (burned).  But, we believe we can setup local refineries to convert the gas to an alcohol, which could fuel the drilling rigs and pipeline heaters (oil there is very rich in paraffin, and in the winter the pipelines must be heated to keep it from  hardening).

Locals are extremely nice and very helpful.  They are very pro-American, Christian, and are eager to learn English.  So much so, that it's hard to learn Russian or Kazakh because they always want to practice their English.  In fact, my parents are now sponsoring a Kazakh girl as a foreign exchange student, and have obtained a visa for her to come back next year and stay with them for community college.

I hope this info is what you wanted, subsailor.
View Quote

Exactly what I was looking for and thank you.

I was sure they were flaring the gas - we did for years.  Relatively shallow wells.

(All this talk about gasoline and we could run our vehicles for ever (almost) on natural/ propane gas.)

I think holding a chart showing a 5000 foot pay zone might be a spiritual experience for me - even with no working interest !

The paraffin is interesting - didn't know about that but the stuff sure enough coagulates in the winter.

Do the locals in any way share in the profits of a well - directly I mean.

How is the oil getting out ?  A pipeline to....?

The religion is CHRISTIAN ??  Some branch of Russian Orthodox or ??????

Sorry to be a pest but you're opening a window for me.
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 6:50:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 8:38:18 PM EDT
[#30]
So, what is the country like apart from the oil fields brouhaha?

And do they let you bring your rifle?
[:D]

Link Posted: 4/10/2002 8:44:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Last time the Arabs tried to cut down on oil production significantly, we wound up with more fuel-efficient cars and the Arab states suffered much worse financially than we did.
They won't that mistake again, particularly with Russia waiting in the wings to take up the slack.
View Quote

Russia has pipelines to its major cities. What it doesn't have is ports that will accomodate tankers.

You guys driving 350 cube and larger vehicles don't realize what a moron you look like with a "God Bless America" sticker on your 4 wheeler. Looks about the same as a guy with a "WWJD?" sticker on his bumper that you notice as he runs a red light. Oil demand is driving the whole Arab problem.
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 11:11:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
if it costs more to produce our oil here then so be it. I will gladly pay 2-2.50 a gallon to support an american industry that puts americans back to work. Hell 60%+ of our oil costs are taxes now anyways.

mike
View Quote
Ain't that the truth. We can wire open the whackos mouths and use them for "makin-hole" and use the spotte owls for lubrication in the hole! hehehehe
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 7:21:01 AM EDT
[#33]
Fuck OPEC!!

Link Posted: 4/11/2002 7:37:43 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
yup, the same peace-protester/conservative that will complain about 3.00 a gallon this summer. will drive to the protest headquarters and park his SUV next to the other SUV's . Bright n early to protest the drilling, cause a certien type of tadpole lives there....
View Quote

$3 a gallon won't bother me too much.  10 gallons lasts me about a month.  I love my car!

I agree, the Arabs will realize their mistake... hopefully the dictators will bring about their own demise when things get so bad over there.

I wish those fuvkers would realize, if they acted CIVLIZED and RESPONSIBLE, we'd be their best friends, but NO.. they have to act like stupid camel fuvking morons...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top