Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/10/2002 11:33:11 AM EDT
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,49994,00.html

Hope this link works.  OK, it's not an active link.  Can anyone advise me how to make it active?
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 11:47:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 11:48:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
[url]http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,49994,00.html[/url]
View Quote

Thanks, what is the secret?
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 11:55:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 12:26:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Back to the original topic:  the ruling in favor of our rights.

Does anyone else find this significant?  This ruling has been given twice now in Ohio.  Most likely, it will get appealed to the SC of OH, and then struck down, ruling in favor of the liberals in Cincinatti.  BUT, who knows...
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 1:00:27 PM EDT
[#5]
So Ohio has Vermont-style carry rules (no rules in other words)?

Link Posted: 4/10/2002 1:06:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Are you goint to ALL the threads on this and asking the same thing?

Only in one county, just like what happened last year.

Now if the Ohio Supreme Court takes this case and concurres with the Apellate court THEN it becomes state wide.

Just like Emerson is the "law of the land" ONLY in the 5th District untill the SCOTUS rules on it.
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 1:09:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 7:13:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Are you goint to ALL the threads on this and asking the same thing?

Only in one county, just like what happened last year.

Now if the Ohio Supreme Court takes this case and concurres with the Apellate court THEN it becomes state wide.

Just like Emerson is the "law of the land" ONLY in the 5th District untill the SCOTUS rules on it.
View Quote

Yes, goddamn it, I am until someone answers the question.  It's hard to follow this issue when there are like 15 threads devoted to it.

Dickhead!
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 7:32:29 PM EDT
[#9]
the original ruling was brought before the Hamilton Common Pleas Court. Judge Robert Ruehlman declared an Ohio gun control law in violation of the Ohio Constitution. the judge's jurisdiction is ONLY hamilton county, so that's where his injunction is valid. the state appealed and today Ohio's First District Court of Appeals handed down a unanimous ruling upholding the lower court's decision. this all still applies ONLY to hamilton county. this is important because the court (in general) has taken 'notice' that the law is unconstitutional as it is now. this would be like the domino effect where a case would be brought in every county, presenting this case and following the ruling in each county. i THINK what will happen though is that the state WILL appeal it to the supreme court. this would probably mean another stay on the lower court's injunction until the supreme court hears it. if they also uphold the ruling, THEN it would have immediate effect statewide where the ban would be immediately uneforceable. sort of all or nothing. nothing because the supreme court upheld the ban in the '20s. go to [url=www.ofcc.net/news.php]OFCC.net[/url] to read more about it. they have all the info there and you can sign up for email alerts. it won't take much reading to figure aout what's up. JOIN

FORGOT: [url=www.chuckkleinauthor.com/Feely.html#LATEST CASE UPDATE]Chuck Klein's Website[/url] is worth looking at as he is the lead plaintiff in the case. Quoted from this site:
----------------------------------
[i]The Ohio 1st District Court of Appeals, in no uncertain terms and words, upheld the trial court's ruling that ORC 2923.12 and 2923.16 are unconstitutional on their face as well as applied. The position of the Court can best be summed up in these lines from the text: "...we are America, where the Pilgrims shot their Thanksgiving turkeys. We are not a country where power is maintained with guns over people without guns. If times have changed and weapons are no longer necessary to provide food or safety (a dubious proposition), then the proper course is to amend the Ohio Constitution."[/i]

In addition, the Appeals Court refused to continue the stay which stayed the injunction against the defendant police agencies from enforcing the subject laws. As it stands now, any law-abiding citizen in Hamilton County, Ohio can carry a concealed firearm with impunity. [b]HOWEVER, the defendants have applied to the Ohio Supreme Court to reinstate the stay. When this court will act is unkown. watch this site.[/b]
---------------------------------------

what this means is that RIGHT NOW, the injunction prohibiting the enforcement of the ban is in effect (you CAN carry) BUT the state has applied for another stay of the injunction until the supreme court can rule on it. I WOULD NOT TEST IT NOW. the media would swarm over you and you would be screwed just going through the process. we are on the good side of the power curve right now.
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 7:33:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Yes, goddamn it, I am until someone answers the question.  It's hard to follow this issue when there are like 15 threads devoted to it.

[red]Dickhead![/red]
View Quote

I thought you went by trickshot?
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 7:33:48 PM EDT
[#11]
The ruling only applies to Hamilton County because that's the extent of the court's jurisdiction.  In theory, someone could bring an almost identical case to court in another county and get a different verdict.

If someone elsewhere in Ohio carried a concealed weapon that would be a bad, bad thing... [;)]
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 7:45:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

[red]Dickhead![/red]
View Quote

I thought you went by trickshot?
View Quote

No, it's [b]"Dicksnot"[/b] [:D]

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top