Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/17/2010 1:00:23 PM EDT
Are these any good? They look well made and I'm considering this one:

https://www.masterpiecearms.com/proddetail.php?prod=MPA930T

It would be a fun gun to take to the range but I still want it to be reliable. My buddy has a Cobray that jams every 2 or 3 shots and is nothing but trouble. Thanks for any input onthese guns!
Link Posted: 8/17/2010 1:09:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I fondled them at SHOT and hung out with the guys there at the booth for a bit and the guns are as nicely made as a Mac clone can be made.  I liked the .22lr versions.  They seemed like fun.  I kind of want one to SBR for some reason.
Link Posted: 8/17/2010 1:12:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Do those have trigger slap? I remember seeing some MAC clones at a show that came with rubber sleeves on the triggers and I asked what those were for and the dealer said so it didn't bite your finger off.

My open bolt SMG never did anything like that.
Link Posted: 8/17/2010 1:37:19 PM EDT
[#3]
They are very well made and well supported.

I do not own one, but I sold them until the price got too high to justify.

I wish I had bought one of the mini 9's for myself before the price went up.
Link Posted: 8/17/2010 1:41:31 PM EDT
[#4]
I'll weigh in on this one. I have a good friend who bought the 9mm Masterpiece MAC a few years ago ....and that sonuvabitch is as reliable as an old dog!  Not super accurate, but fun.
Link Posted: 8/17/2010 1:47:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

When you say well supported do you  mean customer service is good? If mine jams they will fix it with a smile?
Link Posted: 8/17/2010 1:50:14 PM EDT
[#6]
If you want a toy, go for it, but pistol copies of SMGs are usually pretty pathetic in the performance department when compared to 'regular' pistols.  As a toy, reliability isn't 'crucial'.
Link Posted: 8/17/2010 1:57:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Heavy, horrible trigger with bad trigger slap, horrible ergonomics and terrible sights.  That said, mine has gone bang with everything I've ever fed it including old corrosive surplus.  I picked it up back when they were cheap  just as a range toy; I want to say I paid around $250 for it.  It's a conversation piece and it's amazing how many people will want to shoot it just to say they have.  That said, I don't think it's been out of the safe in four years.  A FA is definitely more fun, but a lot more money and expensive to shoot given their rate of fire.
Link Posted: 8/17/2010 1:58:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

When you say well supported do you  mean customer service is good? If mine jams they will fix it with a smile?

Yes, their customer service was good when I dealt with them.
Link Posted: 8/17/2010 2:03:08 PM EDT
[#9]
I had a .45ACP MAC and my friend had a 9mm MAC.  they both functioned flawlessly...but they are heavy as hell.  never checked them for accuracy.  they were just a fun weapon to waste ammo.

the 9mm was a lot easier to bumpfire though
Link Posted: 8/17/2010 2:23:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks guys this is all good information! Even my range toys need to be reliable.....I can't stand it when a gun jams all the time....takes the fun out of it for me.
Link Posted: 8/17/2010 8:06:38 PM EDT
[#11]
bump for the night crew.
Link Posted: 8/17/2010 8:09:20 PM EDT
[#12]
I had the carbine, it ran great.. never gave me any problems, Ended up trading it off to a local shop because it had a nasty habit of blowing all the gas in my face and I am right handed.. lol it was a fun gun and ran well.. but I wanted something in 308 anyway.
Link Posted: 8/17/2010 8:29:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Everyone at the place I worked at had put the AR-15 trigger to shame.  Smooth pull and broke clean.
Link Posted: 8/17/2010 8:31:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Everyone at the place I worked at had put the AR-15 trigger to shame.  Smooth pull and broke clean.

The MPA MAC 10 trigger better then an AR trigger? Really?
Link Posted: 8/17/2010 9:32:58 PM EDT
[#15]
I actually called them today after I first saw this thread.  I had sent in an FFL a while ago and had not gotten a dealer packet.  Seems they had just moved facilities and some faxed in stuff was lost or something.  

I talked to one of the owners and he said that the .22lrs are pretty good and reliable most of the time with good ammo but were not like the 9's and 45's that ran really well.   I did not ask about trigger slap.  They also said that they were going to come out with their own .22lr suppressor made specifically to fit on their .22's but will work on others and that the pricing would be $259.  

Anyhow, the guy I talked to sounded like a true southern gentleman and was forthcoming to my inquiries.  Turns out he was one of the owners who picked up the phone since everyone had gone home since it was past 5 there.

Link Posted: 8/19/2010 10:29:47 AM EDT
[#16]
bump for the day crew!
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 11:35:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
bump for the day crew!

Ordered one of the mini models. I'll give a range report as soon as I pick it up.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 11:40:16 AM EDT
[#18]
I've got one of the MPA 30T full size 9mm models and it runs like a top. I've shot Cobray models before, but they were all jam-o-matics. The MPA has run great and been fed nothing but the cheapest steel cased ammo, plus it uses Sten mags. As far as being an accurate, practical gun... not so much, but it sure is fun and it pisses liberals off like none other, an added bonus.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 11:43:23 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 11:49:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
If you want a toy, go for it, but pistol copies of SMGs are usually pretty pathetic in the performance department when compared to 'regular' pistols.  As a toy, reliability isn't 'crucial'.

I would differ on this , the point of a toy is to have fun, if the gun breaks or is unreliable , it's no fun, and there is no point in having it . Therefore it is crucial to owning a "toy" .

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 12:22:12 PM EDT
[#21]
I shot bump fired a 45 FUN.

They are HEAVY
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 12:22:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Has anyone tried one of the MPA 22's?
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 11:36:48 PM EDT
[#23]
I've been meaning to make a thread about these.  I have a Cobray in 9mm that's never had any issues feeding or firing, except when the lips start to splay on those Zytel magazines.  What are the mags like for the new ones, and are they interchangeable?

The Cobray manual actually had a warning against using steel mags.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 11:59:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Along the same lines I've been thinking of getting a MPA and trying out one of these.

http://www.shockwavetechnologies.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=49&osCsid=7fb7f5cd7a546bf86bb5975436b2d179
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 4:54:18 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I've been meaning to make a thread about these.  I have a Cobray in 9mm that's never had any issues feeding or firing, except when the lips start to splay on those Zytel magazines.  What are the mags like for the new ones, and are they interchangeable?

The Cobray manual actually had a warning against using steel mags.

The MPA 9mm's use unmodified Sten magazines, which are relatively plentiful and inexpensive. Not interchangeable with Cobray zytel mags.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top