ETA: This is a modded install.

Link Posted: 8/12/2010 6:07:15 AM EDT
[#1]
About to leave for work, I'll dig them out this afternoon
Link Posted: 8/12/2010 6:11:56 AM EDT
[#2]

Link Posted: 8/12/2010 6:17:07 AM EDT
[#3]
I need to get back in the air. I gave up when it got too annoying with all the downloads and updates you needed in order to fly online.

Great game though, hands down the best WWII flight sim ever made.
Link Posted: 8/12/2010 6:20:18 AM EDT
[#4]
I used to play online alot but there are some guys that are just so good I couldn't hardly get up to altitude before getting my ass shot off.

ETA It would be cool if we could get an arfcom server running.
Link Posted: 8/12/2010 6:25:14 AM EDT
[#5]
im in for some arf games

I might be able to get a server running this weekend
Link Posted: 8/12/2010 6:31:10 AM EDT
[#6]
I'd get into this if people got a server going.  I don't have the game, and its nearly 10 years old, right?  Where could I grab it?
Link Posted: 8/12/2010 6:34:30 AM EDT
[#7]
What ever happened to White Cliffs of Dover or whatever the heck they were calling the next game in the series? I played way too much IL2 back in the day, I can't get back into it for some reason.
Link Posted: 8/12/2010 6:36:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Which mod has a mig-15?
Link Posted: 8/12/2010 6:40:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'd get into this if people got a server going.  I don't have the game, and its nearly 10 years old, right?  Where could I grab it?

Here

or even better to have the cd

Here
Link Posted: 8/12/2010 6:41:05 AM EDT
[#10]
IL2 1946 is on steam for cheap $10  . There are still patches for this I believe they are up to 4.10 or 4.11 now being made by a 3rd party and they are offcial. The new IL2  called Storms of War should be out this Xmas with even better graphics , google it. Also have a look at http://mission4today.com/ for more IL2 info. Best game ever  GRaphics are great even though its 10 years old , dont listen to nay sayers ...
Link Posted: 8/12/2010 6:41:35 AM EDT
[#11]
When was this made - 2002?

Horrible gfx
Link Posted: 8/12/2010 6:41:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Does that include all the games, or is 1946 a standalone?
Link Posted: 8/12/2010 6:43:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Does that include all the games, or is 1946 a standalone?

includes it all .....200 or so flyable planes , europe and pacific theatre   . Editor is outstanding and plenty of dynamic mission making tools out there to mix it up forever.  

watch ( video does not do graphics justice)
http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=F-x7OEgFJIE&feature=related
Link Posted: 8/12/2010 6:50:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Great pics! I still play it all the time, never got into the mods though.
Link Posted: 8/12/2010 6:57:42 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Here

or even better to have the cd

Here

hmmm, only $10

Link Posted: 8/12/2010 7:00:42 AM EDT
[#16]
When was this made - 2002?

Yes.  Original game shipped in 2001.  Expansions shipped until 2006 based on that engine, built by progressively smaller development teams with decreasing amounts of money.

Horrible gfx

For 2001 they were fucking awesome.  Oleg prioritized graphics pretty much last, wanting to add planes, maps, and improve flight models.  The flight modeling, even without low-speed stalls, is VERY complex under the hood and eats up most of the CPU power many games would instead spend on graphics.  IL-2 is crunching a hell of a lot more physics than your average FPS.

Is this where I piss everybody off by posting my dev-art screenshots of the stuff that got yanked out of Pacific Fighters during development because of Northrop-Grumman, including the B-29, flyable TBF, and several late-war carriers?  

I suppose I'll just start with mine...

(Not an in-game shot, but was going to be an in-game model)

(STILL fucking bitter)
Link Posted: 8/12/2010 7:01:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Damn, you guys got me all nostalgic. I just ordered a new disk.

If we start a server, can we PLEASE make it stock 4.09 or at least severely limit the MODS so it doesn't take a computer engineer to get online?
Link Posted: 8/12/2010 7:01:50 AM EDT
[#18]
@TacticalMOLONLABE You should put in your OP that your playing with a modded install, not the vanilla game.

Link Posted: 8/12/2010 7:03:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Is this where I piss everybody off by posting my dev-art screenshots of the stuff that got yanked out of Pacific Fighters during development because of Northrop-Grumman, including the B-29, flyable TBF, and several late-war carriers?  

http://www.garagebay9.com/work%20samples/3D/PacFi/P61dias3.jpg

Flyable B-29 and TBF were added through un-official MODS after the game was hacked. Never saw the black widow though, that would have been AWESOME!

(STILL fucking bitter)

Link Posted: 8/12/2010 7:04:25 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

http://www.garagebay9.com/work%20samples/3D/PacFi/P61dias3.jpg
(STILL fucking bitter)

That was because Grumman wanted the devs/you guys to pay to play to use their stuff right?

Apparently it was quite expensive.

Link Posted: 8/12/2010 7:04:56 AM EDT
[#21]
N-G waited until the week before the game shipped to sue 1C:Maddox - AFTER the game was out overseas, therefore ensuring maximum market loss in the US and provoking as much piracy as they possibly could (US guys that wanted the game just downloaded it from torrents the day it hit shelves in the UK and AUS).  Ubisoft gave Oleg shitty advice and said "pay up and take the stuff out".

Other studios have told the aerospace companies to go eat shit, because they don't have any leg to stand on demanding money for that stuff.  Oleg got told to surrender by the french fuckers, had to fork over something like $100k, and now he can't use any American planes.  That's why he's doing the Battle of Britain.

Northrop-Grumman nearly wrote the American participation in the WWII Pacific theater out of history as far as serious flight sims are concerned.  They're trying to do the same to plastic modeling.  They can fucking DIE as far as I care, they're fucking traitorous scum.

Yeah, I heard they re-added some older stuff, but unofficial mods aren't the same.  And from what I've heard, the art quality isn't quite there either, they're just hacked models.

If I'm wrong, I'll be very happily wrong.  Did they ever get cat launches working off the carriers?
Link Posted: 8/12/2010 7:08:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Yeah, but unofficial mods aren't the same.  And from what I've heard, the art quality isn't quite there either, they're just hacked models.

If I'm wrong, I'll be very happily wrong.  Did they ever get cat launches working off the carriers?

No cat launches. And yes some of the unofficial mods are sort of crappy, but some of very good quality. The defensive guns on the B-29 for instance are fucking bad ass.

Some of the flight models haven't been fixed yet either. The P-51 still flys like a piece of shit and the LA-7 is still the Uber fighter of the war. That's what you get with Russian game designers though.

Link Posted: 8/12/2010 7:08:47 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Yeah, but unofficial mods aren't the same.  And from what I've heard, the art quality isn't quite there either, they're just hacked models.

Unofficial mods are hit and miss, mostly miss as far as planes go. There are a few nice ones but most are "franken-planes", have questionable FM's,far from optomised to work with the engine etc,etc.

I never got into them, it seemed to the modmakers quantity was better than quality...

Link Posted: 8/12/2010 7:14:25 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Unofficial mods are hit and miss, mostly miss as far as planes go. There are a few nice ones but most are "franken-planes", have questionable FM's,far from optomised to work with the engine etc,etc.

I never got into them, it seemed to the modmakers quantity was better than quality...

Kind of the impression I got when I dabbled with them briefly.  I handed my old P-61 model off to some guys to put it in the sim with the mod tools and never heard back.  Dunno if they finished it.
Link Posted: 8/12/2010 7:32:59 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Kind of the impression I got when I dabbled with them briefly.  I handed my old P-61 model off to some guys to put it in the sim with the mod tools and never heard back.  Dunno if they finished it.

Yep, it was hard to separate the good from the(mostly) chaff. Nowadays I don't know considering I haven't touched mods in over a year or two. Stock Il2 keeps me going without all the fancy gimmicks and eye candy as it is. Anyways, with the news updates coming, I think there is some life in her yet.

I remember reading on a forum somewhere about that P-61 being worked on, but it never got off the ground so-to-speak.

Link Posted: 8/12/2010 8:43:07 AM EDT
[#26]
That's too bad, but I'm not surprised.  Between radar, two people controlling one turret, night vision, and two different sets of ailerons (ailerons and spoilerons), it was a pain for the original devs.  Ilya Shevchenko bitched me out about it at one point and I told him to talk to Jack Northrop.

I know I saw screenshots of a prototype radar display in-game somewhere that the modders were doing, but it never seemed to get past that.  Oh well.  Maybe for BoB.
Link Posted: 8/12/2010 8:56:27 AM EDT
[#27]
I hope none of those planes have nose art on them

Link Posted: 8/12/2010 8:58:38 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I need to get back in the air. I gave up when it got too annoying with all the downloads and updates you needed in order to fly online.

Great game though, hands down the best WWII flight sim ever made.

This.

Link Posted: 8/12/2010 9:02:02 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

That's too bad, but I'm not surprised.  Between radar, two people controlling one turret, night vision, and two different sets of ailerons (ailerons and spoilerons), it was a pain for the original devs.  Ilya Shevchenko bitched me out about it at one point and I told him to talk to Jack Northrop.

I know I saw screenshots of a prototype radar display in-game somewhere that the modders were doing, but it never seemed to get past that.  Oh well.  Maybe for BoB.

I do believe a working night fighter radar for the BF-110 is being worked on to be put in one of the official updates in the future, but that's all I've heard about that.

ETA:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zg76JI8mbzk

Link Posted: 8/12/2010 9:05:42 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I do believe a working night fighter radar for the BF-110 is being worked on to be put in one of the official updates in the future, but that's all I've heard about that.

That might or might not work, hard to say.  The best the Germans had on a plane at any point during the war was centimeter-wave radar.  P-61As had millimeter wave and an improved version with even better resolution was fitted to the B models.  The pilots also had Gen 0 night vision goggles, which are a completely different can of worms to add.

Original plans were to do the P-61B as an AI airplane, since the AI already has radar and night vision.  The cockpit wasn't remotely feasible to build within Oleg's art specs, and they wouldn't cut me slack to break their poly or texture limits, so that was that.  I don't have the time or even really the inclination these days to go back to IL-2 modeling, it's very time intensive and there are some bad memories from those years that I finally put behind me.
Link Posted: 8/12/2010 9:28:02 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

That might or might not work, hard to say.  The best the Germans had on a plane at any point during the war was centimeter-wave radar.  P-61As had millimeter wave and an improved version with even better resolution was fitted to the B models.  The pilots also had Gen 0 night vision goggles, which are a completely different can of worms to add.

Original plans were to do the P-61B as an AI airplane, since the AI already has radar and night vision.  The cockpit wasn't remotely feasible to build within Oleg's art specs, and they wouldn't cut me slack to break their poly or texture limits, so that was that.  I don't have the time or even really the inclination these days to go back to IL-2 modeling, it's very time intensive and there are some bad memories from those years that I finally put behind me.

Heck, I can imagine. I remember getting Pacific Fighters when it first came out and thought the US plane-set was, well, rather barren.

Doesn't sound like much of a fun job.

If there was such a stink by Grumman, how did the Wildcat, Hellcat etc make it?

Link Posted: 8/12/2010 9:30:04 AM EDT
[#32]
I have a dozens pics on my old hard drive from the IL-2 series. There was tons of downloadable skins for the planes which greatly improved their look. Lots of desktop material. The only screen-cap I currently have access to is an old desktop snap-shot still on my PB account.

The IL2 series is hands down the best WWII era flight sim out there even though it is somewhat dated. Anyone who is interested in flight sims and hasn't played it should definitely pick up IL2:'46. Over 200 flyable planes from pre-war bi-planes to MiG-15s, Ta183s(with wire-guided missiles) and P-80s. Dozens of maps to fly on from France to Pearl Harbor. The AI is pretty good. I have had many a one-on-one 15-20 minute dogfights against Fw190s and Me109s while piloting a P-51D. I even remember feeling somewhat exhausted after some of them.
Link Posted: 8/12/2010 10:09:03 AM EDT
[#33]
I loved that game, but was terrible at it. I should reinstal it, but I don't plan on going on line at all, I had enough trouble getting airborn let alone dogfighting.
Link Posted: 8/12/2010 10:34:12 AM EDT
[#34]
I really need to find a stick for my PC, then I may break down and pick up a copy. I have IL-2 for the 360, but I never got very far, and last I looked, they blew off patching the buggy/glitchy issues for the 360, but apparently they did patch the PS3 version.
The idea of hunting Mosquito's at night with an HE-219 would be a blast.
Link Posted: 8/12/2010 10:36:18 AM EDT
[#35]
I still play the Pacific Fighters Expansion all the time...

Nothing like a good ol' dive bomb run on Okinawa and some dogfighting with Ki-61s
Link Posted: 8/12/2010 10:44:36 AM EDT
[#36]
I love IL-2 despite the antiquated graphics.  AI is an issue though... my BF-110 campaign was thwarted by a mission where all my wingmen would fly into a mountain on takeoff.  My Pacific Marine F4F campaign also tanked because my wingmen decided to leave me dogfighting a dozen Zeros while they all went back to base.
Link Posted: 8/12/2010 10:48:26 AM EDT
[#37]
If you want to REALLY make the game worth it, find and download Ultrapack 2.01. It updates the game graphics wise, adds tons of content, and freshens up what I agree is the best ww2 air comabt sim still going ten years later.

The latest rev of Ultrapack has a mod enabler, the best online dogfight server, and even has a command line updater so you don't have to monkey around with it too much. I've recently been doing ground attack missions with B-25s, and boy is that some destructive firepower. Looks great too!
Link Posted: 8/12/2010 12:39:05 PM EDT
[#38]
More

Link Posted: 8/12/2010 12:45:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Hmm....those looked like CFS3 at first glance...digging for my CDs right now...
Link Posted: 8/12/2010 1:05:45 PM EDT
[#40]
I have heard of this game before but never really looked into it.  I have CFS3, and I never liked it, the graphics were good, if you set them that way, but it always seemed to be glitchy on my computer......

(forgive me, I'm not computer tech savvy) I run Vista with a Core 2 Duo processor on this machine, I'm not sure of what graphics card and hard drive space needed on this, or what i have for that matter, I do have a decent Microsoft stick though I used with CFS3, but it is a newer machine, maybe two years old.  Would I have any trouble running the disk version of this, I may pick it up from Amazon, since it's so cheap.....

Link Posted: 8/12/2010 1:16:39 PM EDT
[#41]

Looks like fun, I haven't played a flight sim in a long time. Then again I don't really recall there being too many good flight sims lately, mostly FPS.

Link Posted: 8/12/2010 1:19:28 PM EDT
[#42]
I was a beta tester for Il2 and  "Pacific Fighters" and later sequels !

I was also an avid player on HL and virtual campaigns like VEF .. (I was FZG_Immel, for those who could happend to be there by the time)

God, I loved this simulator !

btw :

original well known picture :

in game screenie (before the sim was modded) with a little toshop work:

Link Posted: 8/12/2010 1:20:54 PM EDT
[#43]
This any good on 360?  My PC couldn't handle it if I tried.
Link Posted: 8/12/2010 1:26:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
This any good on 360?  My PC couldn't handle it if I tried.

this is not simply a "game" but a flight sim, with complex flight models (maybe the better they made for a public prop flight sim).. the only things it doesnt have is complex and clickable cockpits..

to "fly" it nicely you'll need a joystick, a rudder pedal, and a throttle, at least..   It would do any good in a console..
Link Posted: 8/12/2010 1:26:58 PM EDT
[#45]
Sorry for the tiny sizes. These were back when I thought 1024x768 was huge!

You better believe I landed that sumbitch!

Not my rockets, fired by a guy chasing me

Gathering of Aces

Oops

Almost an exact duplicate of the skin on the P-51 from Microsoft CFS1

Mistel

Normandy

Bastard!

F$#%^ing vulcher!!

Taking part in a mission

Thats all I got for now...is there a way to get the img code for a bunch of images on flickr at once?
Link Posted: 8/12/2010 1:39:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I have heard of this game before but never really looked into it.  I have CFS3, and I never liked it, the graphics were good, if you set them that way, but it always seemed to be glitchy on my computer......

(forgive me, I'm not computer tech savvy) I run Vista with a Core 2 Duo processor on this machine, I'm not sure of what graphics card and hard drive space needed on this, or what i have for that matter, I do have a decent Microsoft stick though I used with CFS3, but it is a newer machine, maybe two years old.  Would I have any trouble running the disk version of this, I may pick it up from Amazon, since it's so cheap.....

If it looks cool and you have to ask.......

Link Posted: 8/12/2010 1:40:14 PM EDT
[#47]
How about a video?

This is from when I used to play Pacific Fighters

Clicky

Link Posted: 8/12/2010 1:41:34 PM EDT
[#48]

i looked at this game way back when, but stuck with fighter ace all through the years.

Now I see FA is discontinued.

Maybe it's time to try something new.

Link Posted: 8/12/2010 1:45:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Been playing sims a very, very long time. Since the original Flight Simulator and SWOTL and even before. Played almost everything since as well.

I got busy with post college work about the time IL2 came out and missed it all. Finally got back around to sims over this past year and was able to pick it up. LOVE it. Wish the graphics were a little bit better but sheesh, who cares? The models are excellent, the level of customization is better than you can imagine, and they have had the time to work most bugs out.

However, the graphics bug bit me and I got a hold of Wings of Prey. Is it an IL2 killer now?? No. Could it be in the future?? If they fix the bugs and expand it like they say they are then yes. But not charging for every last plane, mission, etc.

It is still pretty buggy in parts and they have to balance the planes out a lot more (the Mustang? Completely nerfed. The La-7? Unbeatable (at least when I fly it)) but it has potential if they stick with it.

VERY pretty. The best looking, IMO, by far. The damage models and smoke and oil are badass. Hit an oil line or the oil cooler and then fly through the smoke and you'll get oil droplets. It's awesome to watch individual pieces fly off the plane and it is one of the only games where you stand a real chance of hitting the pilot. Not to mention the tracers, ground detail.........everything. Looks awesome. Now I can't wait to go home and play it.

Token pic (not mine):

Link Posted: 8/12/2010 1:47:26 PM EDT
[#50]

Anybody have info on Xbox servers for IL2 Birds Of Prey ?  I bought that game specifically for the online play and now it says the servers arent up.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top