Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/9/2002 12:07:46 PM EDT
Have any of you ever shot in an IDPA shoot? There is one here by Tulsa in 2 weeks and I was considering entering or maybe just swinging by to watch as we are also planning on going shooting at a different range that day as well. What was your experiences with them? Hard? Harder than it looked? Easier? Funner? Not as fun?
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 12:10:53 PM EDT
[#1]
i Have shot IDPA and IPSC. Prefer IDPA, it was fun, guys in this area are very fun to be with, they do not hesitate to help and answer questions. Go and watch, you might end up shooting.
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 12:51:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Have any of you ever shot in an IDPA shoot? There is one here by Tulsa in 2 weeks and I was considering entering or maybe just swinging by to watch as we are also planning on going shooting at a different range that day as well. What was your experiences with them? Hard? Harder than it looked? Easier? Funner? Not as fun?
View Quote

I highly recommend taking your gear with you even if you're thinking of "just dropping by".

If you see it, you'll want to try it.  

It is hard fun.  I usually find I lose more points to brain cramp, than missing.  

They sometimes throw in order of shot delivery and that sort of thing.  I always thought it detracted some from the nature of the sport, but since it does increase the intenstity/stress level, I felt it was a fair trade off.
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 1:12:04 PM EDT
[#3]
this Texas Tactical guy keeps sending me stuff... LOL  (keep it coming Mike, I'll get out there SOMEDAY) They have an IDPA match relatively close to me about once a month.  I'd like to try that sometime.   See how I do with my trusty 1911.
I'm sure if I went, I'd like to watch, but I'd like to try it myself, even if I suck!

M@
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 1:21:07 PM EDT
[#4]
By all mean's go. You'll have a fun afternoon of shooting and will learn if your carry set-up is really up to the task. It's pure fun for training.
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 1:50:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Been shooting IDPA for three years or so.  Have been helping run the matches at our club for a year.  Way loads'o fun.  Some clubs get a little goofy on their setups but if they are following the book its pretty striaght forward.  You'll need a pistol, a holster, three mags (two will do in a pinch), something to hold the mags in 9your back pocket will work) and something to conceal it all.  A hunting vest works fine.

Link Posted: 4/9/2002 4:16:03 PM EDT
[#6]
I have shot IDPA it's Ok but IPSC/USPSA matches are better. But if IDPA is the only game in town go play it, you will have a blast!
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 6:53:06 PM EDT
[#7]
I've been shooting IDPA for several years now and thoroughly enjoy it.  It has been my experience that you will not find a better group of people than fellow shooters.  The fellowship is the best part; the shooting is a great bonus.  Let me recommend that you go and expect to shoot.  I know myself and other members of our club routinely carry a spare rig(gun,holster,belt,mags and carrier,ammo) for people who "show up to watch"; fun will be had by all.  On a more serious note, any shooting discipline using scenarios is designed to apply artificial pressure in order to improve your shooting and decision making skills.  You will learn valuable tactics, become a better shooter, and have a great time doing it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top