Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/9/2002 9:40:27 AM EDT
Hey Goatboy!  What about a gender issues forum?
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 9:49:09 AM EDT
[#1]
[>Q]
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 9:50:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 9:50:52 AM EDT
[#3]
surely, you jest!

with all due respect, the last thing i want to do it bring even more attention to the differences in our plumbing, especially when those differences are completely irrelevant to shooting (which is what brought us here to begin with).

we have a Womenz Forum that focuses on the female aspects of shooting more in depth.  (and it needs some serious input lately.  we seem to have lost some of the posting females.)  that's about as far as i'm willing to take the differences.
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 9:51:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Sorry, it would be a [b]SEX[/b] forum, not gender.  Gender refers to the orientation of words, such as he -vs- she.  What you are looking for is a forum for SEX based issues.

Gender - a subclass within a grammatical class (as noun, pronoun, adjective, or verb) of a language that is partly arbitrary but also partly based on distinguishable characteristics (as shape, social rank, manner of existence, or sex) and that determines agreement with and selection of other words or grammatical forms

Sex - either of the two major forms of individuals that occur in many species and that are distinguished respectively as female or male
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 9:53:34 AM EDT
[#5]
I thought you guys were suppose to brown nose. SHE / IT / HIM has Miss in the name; I guess Padre scared you... [:\]
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 9:59:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 10:02:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Thank you for the assistance, fight4yourrights, aka, G. Gordon Liddy!!  [:D]
View Quote

Yep, that's the man that correct me.  Gman!
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 10:03:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Okay then, what about a SEX forum?
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 10:06:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Sorry, it would be a [b]SEX[/b] forum, not gender.  Gender refers to the orientation of words, such as he -vs- she.  What you are looking for is a forum for SEX based issues.

Gender - a subclass within a grammatical class (as noun, pronoun, adjective, or verb) of a language that is partly arbitrary but also partly based on distinguishable characteristics (as shape, social rank, manner of existence, or sex) and that determines agreement with and selection of other words or grammatical forms

Sex - either of the two major forms of individuals that occur in many species and that are distinguished respectively as female or male
View Quote

actually gender is in fact a perfectly acceptable word to distinguish between male and female forms.  gender no longer means JUST a gramatical indication of the form of the word to use.  in the social sciences circles, it's used in a broader sense than just maleness/femaleness.  it encompasses more than just the plumbing of an individual.
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 10:07:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ah, the shear thought of that..........

with the way the AR15.com dogs drool when a female posts [i]anything[/i]............it would be wild.
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 10:07:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

post your reasons for wanting one, please.  i'd like to see some justification for having one.
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 10:08:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
actually gender is in fact a perfectly acceptable word to distinguish between male and female forms.  gender no longer means JUST a gramatical indication of the form of the word to use.  in the social sciences circles, it's used in a broader sense than just maleness/femaleness.  it encompasses more than just the plumbing of an individual.
View Quote

Acceptable - yes, you are correct.  This is very indicative of the degradation of our language.
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 10:37:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
In the eeevul AK section, there is "The Lounge."
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 10:41:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Acceptable - yes, you are correct.  This is very indicative of the degradation of our language.
View Quote

partially, but i think it's also indicative of the growing knowledge of what makes a man a man and what makes a woman a woman.  men are inclined towards certain characteristics.  likewise, women are inclined towards certain (usually opposing) characteristics.  however, the line is not a firm one and there is a lot of crossover.  this is the root of gender studies, looking beyond the mere physical traits of man and woman.

and don't think that just because a lot of liberals are using gender studies to further the homosexual agenda, that there's no substance to the idea of gender studies.  it, like anything else in this world, is just a tool to be used, for good or bad.  

edited to add for clarification:  sex refers strictly to the physical traits of male and female.  gender refers to everything else that defines man and woman.
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 11:15:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Gender/sex seems to be quite an issue here in light of last week's posts.  Why not honor and lift up the diversity that exists among us by creating a gender/sex issues forum on this male patriarchal neanderthal oppressive board?

We could call it "Womyn With Weapons".  It would help to include the disenfranchised womyn who have been excluded from or defamed and ridiculed on this board.  It would also serve as a forum where we could discuss our progressive victimization at the hands men.  And since we're being inclusive it is only appropriate that men be prohibited from posting in the "Womyn With Weapons" section.  If someone wants to be heard he/she/it can post in the "General Discussion" forum.  So, it wouldn't be sexist - like everything else in this world.
Girlz unite!
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 11:24:39 AM EDT
[#16]
There is no reason to even HAVE special "Women's Forums", as they always degenerate into several predictable categories:

1.) Men asking relationship advice from our ladies here
2.) Which purse should I use for concealed carry?
3.) How many chauvinist pigs do I have to pistol whip to get some damned respect at the range?
4.) What should I get my wife for Xmas/birthday?
5.) Does this new leather holster/jacket/belt look good on me, and will it attract chicks?
or
6.) How can I get my wife/girlfriend to either come shooting with me, or at least shut up about all the guns I buy?

Bah!!
We truly can talk about these things in regular non-gender specific forums, I believe.
The more we become seperate, the more divided we become.
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 11:25:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 11:31:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Hey Goatboy!  What about a gender issues forum?
View Quote

[rolleyes]

There is a women shooters forum, if that is the issue you are having.
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 11:36:14 AM EDT
[#19]
"womyn"
Isn't that the leftist, commie bitch code word for "women"?
You know, the word they use so they don't even have to *acknowledge* men at all?
The "man-hater" code word?
Pffft.
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 11:36:43 AM EDT
[#20]
This is a joke... right?[>:/]
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 11:40:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Why not honor and lift up the diversity that exists among us
View Quote

I think you belong on democratic underground where they love to point out the differences between everyone rather than the things that unite.

creating a gender/sex issues forum on this male patriarchal neanderthal oppressive board?
View Quote

Yes, you definitely don't belong here.  If you feel oppressed please leave.  Go play the victim on DU.  Neanderthal?  At any time I would gladly put up my intelligence against yours and we could find out just who has the most evolved brain.
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 11:44:13 AM EDT
[#22]
I think that you all suffer from self-esteem issues.

I have some herbal tea and aromatherapy candles that could help you re-align your chakras.[:D]
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 11:46:43 AM EDT
[#23]
CAN WE HAVE A FORUM WHERE HANNAH CAN JUST "RAGE" ON ANY SUBJECT THAT COMES TO MIND?

We can pick a topic that ticks Hannah off and watch the fireworks. I feel a little anger in this topic.
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 11:47:25 AM EDT
[#24]
I want the four minutes back that I lost reading this thread.
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 11:48:18 AM EDT
[#25]
Hannah is an angry angry lady who could benefit from the magickal powers of crystals.
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 11:52:19 AM EDT
[#26]
Hannah is an intelligent woman who has more IQ points in her little finger than you do in your entire liberal carcass...[:K]
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 11:52:22 AM EDT
[#27]
Actually, Noddah, I feel a great respect and loyalty to our gentlemen on this board, and trust me, I can spot a man-hater from a long ways off.
It is a disservice to our *good* women here to allow feminist crap to be spewed at our *good* men.
(carefully retracts claws, and smooths fur down)
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 11:52:25 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 12:04:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 12:05:36 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm kinda looking forward to Schnert's take on all this!  [:D]
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 12:12:11 PM EDT
[#31]
*sniff*
*sniff*
Do I smell barbecued [:K]..?
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 2:35:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I think that you all suffer from self-esteem issues.

I have some herbal tea and aromatherapy candles that could help you re-align your chakras.[:D]
View Quote

Isn't a [i]chakra[/i] an old Sikh throwing weapon looking something like a sharpened Aerobie? Xena uses one, I believe. I never knew they had to be aligned.
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 2:48:50 PM EDT
[#33]
[:K] [50]

Tyler hates trolls.
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 2:53:50 PM EDT
[#34]
McUzi?

Or is it Captain Obvious?
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 2:58:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 3:31:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Gender/sex seems to be quite an issue here in light of last week's posts.  Why not honor and lift up the diversity that exists among us by creating a gender/sex issues forum on this male patriarchal neanderthal oppressive board?

We could call it "Womyn With Weapons".  It would help to include the disenfranchised womyn who have been excluded from or defamed and ridiculed on this board.  It would also serve as a forum where we could discuss our progressive victimization at the hands men.  And since we're being inclusive it is only appropriate that men be prohibited from posting in the "Womyn With Weapons" section.  If someone wants to be heard he/she/it can post in the "General Discussion" forum.  So, it wouldn't be sexist - like everything else in this world.
Girlz unite!
View Quote

"That dude looks like a lady...!"

[img]http://www.the-hive.com/HotTowel/images/transvestite.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 3:38:45 PM EDT
[#37]
CAUTION Explanation Follows

Earlier today I decided to poke fun of the whole "let's defend the ladies because they're our equals" trend that has gripped this site.  I simply took the whole gender issues debate to its logical conclusion.

I did this to point out the ironies.

It became immediately apparent that many men rushed to the defense of the ladies in order to defend their (the ladies') equality.  

Huh?  

Miss Magnum, Hannah Reitsch, Tatjana, ARLady etc. don't need our help.  Hannah's welcoming first words to me were "Stuff it newbie!"  A lady like that can handle her own.  BTW, thanks Hannah, I deserved it!  Tatjana's posts come complete with a picture of her in warpaint and a steelpot.  I'm betting that she can handle her own.  Heck, I'd love to replace my TM's with hotline to ArLady.

The ladies are our equals and they can handle themselves.  Or they better be able to if they go posting pics of themselves in combat togs!  

They haven't asked for special treatment, so why extend it to them.  What special treatment?  Just ask yourselves this question: When was the last time someone came to the rescue of Eric the Hun?  We didn't have to.  He can defend himself.  Get the point.

As for the New Age crap, heck I just threw that in for fun!
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 3:42:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Julia, you might want to check your email.
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 3:52:35 PM EDT
[#39]
That said and out of the way, *WELCOME!* [newbie]
[beer]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top