Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/8/2002 3:59:06 PM EDT
 I am so glad I live in the Great state of Indiana where 90% of the counties DO NOT ever switch our times .

There is always a bill brought up in the IN general assembly to try to get the votes to change but It always gets tabled or voted out .

Truthfully how many of you guys who do change like it or even think it"s worthwhile ?

How do you save daylight anyway ??
Put it in a Jar ? Can or what ?

Spring forward and Fall flat on your face .
What a bunch of crap .
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 4:15:28 PM EDT
[#1]
What?? You disagree with the government!

I'm shocked.

The main purpose of Daylight Saving Time (called "Summer Time" many places in the world) is to make better use of daylight. A poll done by the U.S. Department of Transportation indicated that Americans liked Daylight Saving Time because "there is more light in the evenings / can do more in the evenings." A 1976 survey of 2.7 million citizens in New South Wales found 68% liked daylight saving.

Daylight Saving Time also saves energy. Studies done by the U.S. Department of Transportation show that Daylight Saving Time trims the entire country's electricity usage by a significant, but small amount, of less than one percent each day with Daylight Saving Time. We save energy in both the evening and the morning because we use less electricity for lighting and appliances. Similarly, In New Zealand, power companies have found that power usage decreases 3.5% when daylight saving starts. In the first week, peak evening consumption commonly drops around 5%.

Energy use and the demand for electricity for lighting our homes is directly connected to when we go to bed and when we get up. Bedtime for most of us is late evening through the year. When we go to bed, we turn off the lights and TV. In the average home, 25 percent of all the electricity we use is for lighting and small appliances, such as TVs, VCRs and stereos. A good percentage of energy consumed by lighting and appliances occurs in the evening when families are home. By moving the clock ahead one hour, we can cut the amount of electricity we consume each day.
View Quote

Av.
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 4:21:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I agree, Daylight Savings Time blows dead bears, and is utterly worthless.
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 4:23:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm in Arizona where the whole state doesn't switch over. I occasionally hear how backward we are out here for not going along with the rest of the country.

Answer me this one: Here in the desert were it gets well over 100 degrees regularly over a four month period, and where the sun is so hot ground temperatures can reach 140 degrees, why in heaven would we want the day to last longer than it does now?

DST is silly but Uncle Suger had deemed it necessary. You all listen to your uncle now.
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 4:26:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Sorry to raid your thread Ranman....but this has to be done!

Marvel...it all depends...

Did the Bear die as a result of a hunters actions and is now part of a scrumptious Bear sausage meal for the hunter and his family.  With his pelt gracing the floor of the family room in front of the fireplace.

OR!!

Was the Bear shot by game wardens after it dragged a 12 year old boy scout out of his tent on a camping trip in Algonquian Park and mauled him..

Enquiring minds NEED to know.
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 5:34:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'm in Arizona where the whole state doesn't switch over. I occasionally hear how backward we are out here for not going along with the rest of the country.

Answer me this one: Here in the desert were it gets well over 100 degrees regularly over a four month period, and where the sun is so hot ground temperatures can reach 140 degrees, why in heaven would we want the day to last longer than it does now?

DST is silly but Uncle Suger had deemed it necessary. You all listen to your uncle now.
View Quote

I don't really think DST makes the day LONGER, it just "shifts" the daylight hours so they coincide better with our active period. If it's hot for an extra hour at the end of the day, it's also cool for an extra hour at the beginning of the day since the sun rises an hour later. The first and last hours of daylight are going to be the same temperature, regardless of where they fall on the clock. Few people really need the sun at 330am, so why not move the clock ahead so it rises at 430am and sets at 2130 instead of 2030?
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 5:40:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Crap, am I the only one who loves DST?  I love having the extra hour of light to take the dogs to the park or play tennis or whatever.  I look forward to it every year.
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 5:46:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Few people really need the sun at 330am, so why not move the clock ahead so it rises at 430am and sets at 2130 instead of 2030?
View Quote

Why not just leave the clocks alone and get up an hour earlier?
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 6:21:58 PM EDT
[#8]
We shouldn't even have time zones.  24 hour clock on Zulu (Grenwich Mean Time).  Who says that the sun rising, you waking up, and the numbers 5:45 a.m. all have to coincide?

(edited to add it's just a bunch of voodoo superstition BS)
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 6:37:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Ranman -
Minnesota by birth - Arizona by choice!
When I lived in MN DST was great, then I moved to "God's real country", Arizona - where there is no DST and state land for shooting is abuntant.  
DST? I don't need it, and I don't miss it!  
Here I don't have to screw with the clocks twice a year, and the sun decides when we need to do  things.
TB
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 6:48:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Time-of-day is relative to your current longitude and latitude.  I think local time should be always quoted in that context.  Noon is whenever the sun is at its apex at your location and midnight is the opposite.  Sure, the guy standing a few feet to your east would be at a *slightly* different time of day, but that's what we've got computers.

Of course, we still don't lose the need for an absolute time standard like GMT, but when I look at my watch, I want it to tell me the local time -- in percent.  If (where I'm standing right now) sunrise is at 6:30am absolute time and sunset is at 7:15 pm, then 3:45pm is really 72.5% Day.  Dang it.  That's what I want to know.

[u]Example:[/u]  [i]What time is it?[/i]  It's [b]72.5% BDT[/b] (BlammO Day Time).  I gotta be in bed by [b]42% BNT[/b] (BlammO Night Time) or I'll be too tired to milk the chickens in the morning.

Come on!  Who's with me! [;D]
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 6:52:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Ranman -
Minnesota by birth - Arizona by choice!

TB
View Quote

god, i thought smart people posted here. [:D] i hate that state.  well, phoenix anyway.  why can't you guys get rid of mccain??????
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 6:56:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Crap, am I the only one who loves DST?  I love having the extra hour of light to take the dogs to the park or play tennis or whatever.  I look forward to it every year.
View Quote

I'm with you on this one.  It's great to have the extra light after work. We have a swimming pool, and use it lots til dark. In the fall, I can get in an hour or two of bowhunting.
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 6:56:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Get up earlier, or later, as the case may be.

DST sucks.

Tate
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 6:59:21 PM EDT
[#14]
ARlady -
Couldn't agree more!
I absolutely despise Phoenix, you couldn't get me to live there.
I live up north in the mountains.
I also agree about McCain, I used to support him because I thought he was "one of us".  No more the man has got to go!!!
Terry
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 7:01:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I live up north in the mountains.

Terry
View Quote

oh, you lucky bastard!  

could you be more specific?
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 7:16:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I agree, Daylight Savings Time blows dead bears, and is utterly worthless.
View Quote

Not if you're waiting for my Bus...[;D]
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 7:47:38 PM EDT
[#17]
If the world was flat, we wouldn't need Daylight Saving Time.

Think about it.

coyote3
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 8:01:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Think about it.

coyote3
View Quote

Shhhhhh!  If people find out about [i]that[/i], there will be no need for BlammO Day Time and BlammO Night Time!  [:(!]
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 8:06:24 PM EDT
[#19]
i dobnt like it. i do belive it had its time of usefullness. in the day where it took more energy to get stuff done in the dark, it saved energy. now, we do stuff day and night anyway, its a solution to a problem that hasnt existed for many years.
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 8:08:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Sorry to raid your thread Ranman....but this has to be done!

Marvel...it all depends...

Did the Bear die as a result of a hunters actions and is now part of a scrumptious Bear sausage meal for the hunter and his family. With his pelt gracing the floor of the family room in front of the fireplace.

OR!!

Was the Bear shot by game wardens after it dragged a 12 year old boy scout out of his tent on a camping trip in Algonquian Park and mauled him..

Enquiring minds NEED to know.
View Quote

JESUS H CHRIST!

Now you want to accuse hunters and game wardens of being heartless bear murders.  Next thing you'll tell me is you actually like the taste of dead bear.  [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 8:16:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Few people really need the sun at 330am, so why not move the clock ahead so it rises at 430am and sets at 2130 instead of 2030?
View Quote

View Quote

And then what? Sit around for an extra hour before going to work? Or should everyone go to work an hour earlier, schools start an hour earlier, stores open an hour earlier, TV shows come on an hour earlier, etc, and then get out of work or close the store an hour earlier? Seems to me like it's a lot simpler to just change the clock to maximize the amount of daylight we have during our waking hours.
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 8:20:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Dead bear is quite tasty. It tastes like veal.
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 8:20:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Think about it.

coyote3
View Quote

Unless the flat world rotated about a line bisecting it. [:D]
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 8:24:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Dead bear is quite tasty. It tastes like veal.
View Quote

Naaaah.... It's gotta taste like chicken, right? [;)]
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 8:24:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
in the day where it took more energy to get stuff done in the dark, it saved energy. now, we do stuff day and night anyway, its a solution to a problem that hasnt existed for many years.
View Quote

You don't think it saves energy if streetlights, klieg lights on roadwork sites, lights in homes and businesses, etc, are used 1 hour less per day? Get up an hour later or go to bed an hour earlier (meaning you use 1 hour less of electricity to power your lights every day) and see if you don't save money.
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 8:34:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
We shouldn't even have time zones.  24 hour clock on Zulu (Grenwich Mean Time).  Who says that the sun rising, you waking up, and the numbers 5:45 a.m. all have to coincide?

(edited to add it's just a bunch of voodoo superstition BS)
View Quote

When I first read this, I thought it was so dumb! But, if you think about it, it makes perfect sense! What's wrong with a universal time, GMT, for example

Just because the extreme North and South of the equator have problems, why should everyone else have suffer all this DST shit?
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 8:56:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Think about it.

coyote3
View Quote

Unless the flat world rotated about a line bisecting it. [:D]
View Quote

True,true.

coyote3
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 8:58:04 PM EDT
[#28]
I have no problems with the daylight saving time. In this state, it is useless.
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 8:58:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Daylight Savings Time isn't worth a bent dick...

Sorry - had to get that out.  I grew up in IN as well (Lafayette, for those of you who are curious.  LJHS '89,) and I never could figure out wy Gary and Hammond bothered with that pain in the ass known as DST.  They did it to keep up with Chicago?  Fine - give Gary and Hammond to IL anyhow and let the rest of us get on with it.

I came to KA courtesy of the Air Farce, and wondered why an organisation that thinks in RaDay (GMT and Julian Dates) and logged its activity in Simplex time (HH.hh instead of HH:MM!) needed to bother with DST - and why did anyone else bother anyhow?  I still think in Zulu, and would like to find a genuine 24-hour movement-based watch (only goes around once per day...)

One more small logical flaw - I am basically nocturnal.  It's not a grave shift thing - it's just the way I am.  Always have been - since about two years old.  Hated school, hated having to be there at 0700 (would rather have gotten there at 1900...)  Why in the nethermost depths of Hell should I be concerned with saving daylight, when I prefer to sleep through it anyhow?

Now that we are moving toward a full global economy, it is time to A) abolish DST (seriously, I don't recall any other countries bothering offhand...) and B) go to co-ordinated time standards based upon Zulu/GMT.  Shift local hours of operation according to incidence of daylight, but 1200 noon is 1200 noon - EVERYWHERE.  There would be no figuring out what time it is somewhere else, just KNOW.  Besides, if time zones are so damn useful, why are there some with xx:30 corrections?  This sounds like dangerously bad logic to me...

As far as me goes, I still think and operate on a 24-hour clock centred on GMT (0000-2359.)  All my computers are set on GMT, and DST option is DISABLED.

FFZ
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 9:44:59 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
When I first read this, I thought it was so dumb! But, if you think about it, it makes perfect sense! What's wrong with a universal time...
View Quote

DITTO stcyr, I concur 100%!!!  

We (pilots) DO use universal time. Can you imagine how confusing it would be for us if we didn't use a universal base time system (GMT = Greenwich Mean Time -= Civilian, & Zulu = Military)?  

It's already bad enough.
At Midway I have subtract GMT-6 (Zulu) CST-6 (Sierra) for half of the year, & GMT-7 / CST-7 for the other half. That's before my tires even leave the runway!
Going east or west on a long flight is when the fun starts.
All because of the reasons already mentioned, people are stubborn & too lazy to think.

[i]
================================================

There's two basic truths that tie all civilized people.

1. -- 99% of all drivers in the world know they're above average drivers!

2. -- Nobody knows exactly, & completely WTF Daylight Savings Time is good for![/i]
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 10:36:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Since all the cryin, and blame to the Govt for it....Who knows (without a web search!) WHO invented DST ????

Hint-- NOT in our lifetime......Not even in us OLD guys lifetimes.....
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 11:52:12 PM EDT
[#32]
CavVet:
Since all the cryin, and blame to the Govt for it....Who knows (without a web search!) WHO invented DST ????
View Quote

No google, huh........

I [b]think[/b] Benjamin Franklin came up with the idea of "saving daylight", suggested it, even wrote a book about it.
His idea was ignored.

Right after the Civil War, the US railroads tried it for a few years. Not to save daylight this time, just to save headaches (Also because they could!).
They (railroads) are the ones who finally pushed a uniform time scale through.
Until the late 1880s, almost every town in the US set their clocks to 12 noon when the Sun was (more or less) directly overhead.

I'm pretty sure it was seriously enforced in the US for the first time during W.W.I.
Mostly by factories, & this time it WAS to "save light" (& electricity, power, etc.). It lasted about two years - most people hated it, & it was repealed.

Same thing happened for the same reason in W.W.II, & was dropped within a few years again.
BUT not by all towns or states this time, there was a spotty patchwork of towns all over the US who used it when they felt like it.
In 66:(?) the government really started pushing for DST HARD, & most of the country fell into line (Even my state IN [i]partially[/i] caved in around the mid seventies).

Link Posted: 4/9/2002 12:46:37 AM EDT
[#33]
Here's another vote in favor of Daylight Savings Time.

Guess I just like to see the sun during a usable part of the day.
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 12:59:01 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Next thing you'll tell me is you actually like the taste of dead bear.  [rolleyes]
View Quote

You ever try to eat a live bear? [:)]
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 4:24:10 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Next thing you'll tell me is you actually like the taste of dead bear.  [rolleyes]
View Quote

You ever try to eat a live bear? [:)]
View Quote

HOT TEA!!!!

HOT TEA!!!

Damn do not laugh with hot tea in your mouth!!!
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 4:43:44 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I don't really think DST makes the day LONGER, it just "shifts" the daylight hours so they coincide better with our active period. If it's hot for an extra hour at the end of the day, it's also cool for an extra hour at the beginning of the day since the sun rises an hour later. The first and last hours of daylight are going to be the same temperature, regardless of where they fall on the clock. Few people really need the sun at 330am, so why not move the clock ahead so it rises at 430am and sets at 2130 instead of 2030?
View Quote

The answer of course is that the sun DOESN'T rise at 3:30AM here in the south. What happens is that, by shifting the clock, people are doing business in the heat of the day, and all the alleged eletricity savings for lighting are eaten up by much more expensive air conditioning costs. (Many businesses simply shift their open hours to return things to normal.)

Nobody in their right mind wants to be out shopping after noon anyway, it's just too darn hot. And by shifting the clock, we delay the cooler evening period until bedtime. Further, I have to go to work in the dark, and try to go to sleep when the sun is still up.

So it may work for the yankee states, but here in the south it's a net loss. This doesn't take into account the damages and danger caused by Sleepy, and Dopey driving around half asleep for the 6 weeks it takes to get used to the clock shift.
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 4:48:16 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

And then what? Sit around for an extra hour before going to work? Or should everyone go to work an hour earlier, schools start an hour earlier, stores open an hour earlier, TV shows come on an hour earlier, etc, and then get out of work or close the store an hour earlier? Seems to me like it's a lot simpler to just change the clock to maximize the amount of daylight we have during our waking hours.
View Quote

If you're worried about not "wasting" that hour of daylight in the morning, what you do with it is your problem. [;)]
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 5:02:32 AM EDT
[#38]
If there were no DST, those people who tell us "change the batteries in your smoke detectors when you change your clocks" would be unemployed.

DrMark
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 5:09:42 AM EDT
[#39]
As a farmer, my Grandpaw made the definative statement on day-light savings time.

"[b]How in the hell am I supposed to make that cow come to the stall to be milked a hour earlier? She don't know we've changed the time and I just end up sitting there waiting till she comes[/b]." He never changed his watch or clocks.

He was right, it's a stupid concept, you don't get more daylight, while true you do get longer days toward spring/summer, the amount of daylight doesn't increase because of DST. I never change my watch, (on my wrist) as others have stated I just go to work an hour earlier but since I'm up before dayight anyway it's a moot point.

Mike
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top