Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/8/2002 3:42:08 PM EDT
[url]http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs.cmu.edu/user/wbardwel/public/nfalist/center_v_treasury.txt[/url]

This is a 1997 Court Case where the court ruled that the Brady Bunch could use the FOIA (Freedom of Information Act) to obtain required firearms sales records (multiple handgun sales form) ostensibly for "research." Even though, in this case the Brady Bunch decided to not ask for names, they did get the Serial Numbers and FFLs names.

But, from what I read near the end, the court wouldn't have had a problem if the Brady Bunch asked for the names. I wonder how long before they decide to ask for the 4473s and start compiling a database of their own. I guess it is just the government who "can't see" these records.
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 3:56:16 PM EDT
[#1]
James Robertson is a Clinton appointee.
He was a partner at Wilmer, Cutler & Pickering, the liberal dem law firm.
He was the co-chair of the Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights Under Law, and president of Southern Africa Legal Services and Legal Education Project, Inc.
When the liberals say jump, he is already in the air.
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 4:01:09 PM EDT
[#2]
(b) The interests of gun buyers. Plaintiff asks only for the serial numbers of guns sold and has expressly requested that the names of buyers be deleted. The privacy interest with respect to buyers, accordingly, arises only if they can be identified by the public release of gun serial numbers. It is undisputed that only six states maintain public lists of gun serial numbers and owners. Plaintiff's FOIA request involves only one of these states: Alabama -- and in Alabama, the database is not computerized.    Polston Decl. at P 20. The privacy interests of gun buyers in the release of multiple sales reports is thus vanishingly small.
View Quote

Since the antis would have to file a state FOIA request to find out where the buyers live, they have no rights at all to privacy.
Nice, liberal butt kisser. Let's change that a little, only instead of gun owners let's make it women who have had an abortion.
I really hate liberal judges, no kidding, no joke, they will be the ruin of the republic.
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 4:25:41 PM EDT
[#3]
a little off the topic, but I've come to the conclusion that sara brady, who was once quoted as saying "we don't want to ban all guns..." really doesn't want an end, and neither does the NRA (of which I am a member). the reasion: MONEY. If there were no more guns to be banned then she would loose her meal ticket. I have no idea what the brady's make, but i'll bet its a whole lot more than many of us combined. What would really happen to the NRA if anti-gun legislation suddenly went away? Don't get me wrong. I support the NRA, ILA, state and local action orgs., just makes you wonder how hard it would be to get yourself a "non-profit" status and beg people for money to support the communist plot of your choice?[soap]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top