Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/8/2002 2:12:07 PM EDT
Anyone know of any sources in the Mid West? I'll be pulling it with a Jeep Wrangler. Anyone see any problems with that other than modifying the hitch in the Jeep??

Aviator  [img]www.milpubs.com/aviator.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 9:22:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Yea, time in the Big House. Those trailers are Federal Property and seldon sold. If you do find one make sure you get *all* the correct paperwork, like the pink, before you pay for it. The ones I've seen were in great shape but had a shady history. No way to register them.
Seller's wanted ~$300 each for the Humvee model trailer. Price would have been three times that with papers.
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 9:25:25 PM EDT
[#2]
You wouldn't understand, it's a Jeep thing.
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 8:39:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
You wouldn't understand, it's a Jeep thing.
View Quote

[:D]

Link Posted: 4/10/2002 4:16:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Modifying the hitch is simple.  Use a standard receiver and get a pintle-type insert.  That way you can still pull stuff you have to rent with a 2" ball insert.  

Try Jeepacres, (219)654-8649 in Indiana.  They may not have any trailers, but may have a line on some.  That's the only one I know of off the top of my head.  You can search the net yourself and probably find dozens more.

Join MVPA, or at least check out some of their meets.  Makes finding that sort of thing much easier.  

Check with your local laws though.  Oddly enough some states don't allow the pintel-type hooks for towing trailers on personal vehicles.  I don't know why as it's better than a ball hitch, but whatever.  

Also if it's for a civillian Jeep, you may just consider making one.  If you build it wo it will take the same rims and tires, it may come in handy off road.  It would also let you build in things like air-compressor, etc.

Ross  

Link Posted: 4/10/2002 4:28:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 4:44:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Aviator,

In addition to the possible ownership problems discussed above, almost any military trailer will be extremely heavy for its weight class, in other words have a high gross to payload weight fraction.

Why do you want a military trailer vs. the light and cheaper civilian trailers.  Especially since you're pulling it with a Jeep Wrangler vs. a 1 ton dually or equivalent.

Having said that, there is a guy here in Madison, AL that I believe has for sale military trailers or at least knows where to get them.  If you want me to check it out, let me know.

Thanks,

Merlin
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 5:19:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Merlin,

Thats a good point. The reason I am trying to find a military one is that I'll be using it to take my gold mining equipment out into the mountains. It has to be a real sturdy trailer for some of the roads / goat trails that I'll be driving it on. I think they would be more rugged, the pintle hithce is much more articulated as well. I would be curious as to what they are going for.

Link Posted: 4/12/2002 4:49:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Aviator,

In your case, then a military with a pintle hook will work very well: the pintle is designed to take a lot of articulation.

Another thought:  If you do go with the pintle arrangement, I recommend that you get the combination pintle hook/trailer ball hitch on your Jeep.  That way you will be able to pull normal trailers with your Jeep in addition to your "Gold" trailer.

The combi trailer hitches can be gotten from Northern Tools and Tractor Supply, among others.

For the trailer, have you tried that military truck company that advertises in the Shotgun News?

Good luck.

Merlin

Link Posted: 4/16/2002 4:16:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the help guys. I found this beauty in North Dakota for only $500. May sound like a lot, but I found that those little suckers go for up to $1,200 due to them being considered "collectable" .

[img]http://www.milpubs.com/images/ug5.jpg[/img]

It needs a little work, but in general I am told it is serviceable. It is road legal and has a form 97.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top