Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/3/2010 5:19:44 PM EDT
So, I'm a few weeks from finishing reclass for 68W school @ Ft. Sam. I'm a prior 88M in the reserves.

I've got my tentative orders on AKO for Ft Riley. That's great, except I know NOTHING about KS. I've driven through there once on my way from TX to SD for the Sturgis Rally.

Anyone able to give me some info for 1ID? I understand a lot of units went to Iraq, but I'm getting wind there might be more movement in the next few months.

Anyways, if anyone has any experience with Ft. Riley, or 1ID, or even some newbie tips for a Combat Medic, I'd really appreciate it.

IM me if it's really an OPSEC issue. I'd post this in the mil forum part, but I never got my tank =P
Link Posted: 8/3/2010 5:27:00 PM EDT
[#1]
You will learn about Aggieville in Manhattan, KS.  
Link Posted: 8/3/2010 5:30:49 PM EDT
[#2]
my brother is a councilman in town of Riley and is a System Administrator for the Close Combat Tactical Trainer at Ft Riley.
Link Posted: 8/3/2010 5:39:31 PM EDT
[#3]
I've been at Riley for about a year now. If you are a city boy, you're going to hate it. This is rural farm country so there isn't a whole lot to do for city dweller types.

If you enjoy hunting, fishing, 4-wheeling, or any other "redneck" type activities, you will love it here. Good gun laws and relatively easy to get CCW. I personally love it here, mainly for the fishing.  

As far as deployments go, 1ST BDE was set to deploy in November but that got hacked. 2ND BDE is supposedly in the shoot for early next year but who knows. 3BDE is at NTC right now. If you end up with 1ST sustainment BDE, you will most likely head to Kuwait for a year.

Basically, nobody really knows shit here right now. The drawdown in Iraq is causing alot of deployment orders to get cancelled. There are all sorts of rumors about Afghanistan but nothing confirmed yet.

Lot's of people bitch about Riley but I think it's just fine. Then again, I spent 4 years on Recruiting so ANYWHERE is an improvement!
Link Posted: 8/3/2010 5:39:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Also, my wife is a 68K, (Medical Lab Tech) reserve side..

Think there are any jobs in her field out there? Or should i have her start dropping applications at the local subway?

I've heard we're really close to KSU, which is good for my education, if I stay stateside long enough to enjoy it.
Link Posted: 8/3/2010 5:42:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I've been at Riley for about a year now. If you are a city boy, you're going to hate it. This is rural farm country so there isn't a whole lot to do for city dweller types.

If you enjoy hunting, fishing, 4-wheeling, or any other "redneck" type activities, you will love it here. Good gun laws and relatively easy to get CCW. I personally love it here, mainly for the fishing.  

As far as deployments go, 1ST BDE was set to deploy in November but that got hacked. 2ND BDE is supposedly in the shoot for early next year but who knows. 3BDE is at NTC right now. If you end up with 1ST sustainment BDE, you will most likely head to Kuwait for a year.

Basically, nobody really knows shit here right now. The drawdown in Iraq is causing alot of deployment orders to get cancelled. There are all sorts of rumors about Afghanistan but nothing confirmed yet.

Lot's of people bitch about Riley but I think it's just fine. Then again, I spent 4 years on Recruiting so ANYWHERE is an improvement!

Thanks Leather,

my wife is from small town VA, I'm from AZ, I think I'll enjoy it.

I read CCW was shall issue,  hows the open carry around there? Arizona was pretty much a free for all.

Appreciate the news on deployments, I guess I just show up and roll the dice!
Link Posted: 8/3/2010 5:44:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Queers & steers
Link Posted: 8/3/2010 5:44:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Think there are any jobs in her field out there? Or should i have her start dropping applications at the local subway?

I've heard we're really close to KSU, which is good for my education, if I stay stateside long enough to enjoy it.

Ask away
Link Posted: 8/3/2010 5:45:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ask away

Why? Do you manage a subway in the area? =P
Link Posted: 8/3/2010 5:48:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ask away

No, but I am a KSU student and pretty familiar with the area. Outside of KSU and the hospital in Salina which is pretty good size I don't know of any large medical related jobs around here. The college kids are like a sponge for the lower level jobs so you probably won't get hired at subway.
Link Posted: 8/3/2010 5:50:31 PM EDT
[#10]
The most important thing to know about Ft. Riley is that when Col. Custer rode out and headed north for the Black Hills and his fate at the Little Big Horn he said "don't change anything until I get back".................they haven't.

Personally, I hated being stationed at Ft. Riley.  If you live off-base head to nearby Manhattan, Kansas and stay away from Junction City.  Manhattan is the home of Kansas State University and the college town atmosphere is much more pleasant than the Army town crap in Junction City.  There's nothing else close to Ft. Riley, Kansas City is 3-4 hours away.

They used to spend a hell of a lot of time out in the field for a stateside unit and would go to Germany every year for war games.  Sorry to hear of your misfortune, but good luck to you though and thank you for your service.
Link Posted: 8/3/2010 5:52:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Great place for hunting and fishing.  Topeka is a decent size city thats about an hour away with plenty of stuff to do.  We always used to go there on the weekends.  Junction City (J-town or Junktown) is a shithole.  It wasn't a bad place to be stationed at, the post wasn't bad and they have some nice gyms on post.  Ft Riley is really spread out and its a pretty good sized post.
Link Posted: 8/3/2010 5:53:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The most important thing to know about Ft. Riley is that when Col. Custer rode out and headed north for the Black Hills and his fate at the Little Big Horn he said "don't change anything until I get back".................they haven't.

Personally, I hated being stationed at Ft. Riley.  If you live off-base head to nearby Manhattan, Kansas and stay away from Junction City.  Manhattan is the home of Kansas State University and the college town atmosphere is much more pleasant than the Army town crap in Junction City.  There's nothing else close to Ft. Riley, Kansas City is 3-4 hours away.

They used to spend a hell of a lot of time out in the field for a stateside unit and would go to Germany every year for war games.  Sorry to hear of your misfortune, but good luck to you though and thank you for your service.

I don't know what road you took but it's a little less than 2 hours straight down I-70.
Link Posted: 8/3/2010 5:54:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ask away

No, but I am a KSU student and pretty familiar with the area. Outside of KSU and the hospital in Salina which is pretty good size I don't know of any large medical related jobs around here. The college kids are like a sponge for the lower level jobs so you probably won't get hired at subway.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll have her look at the local hospitals in the area.
Link Posted: 8/3/2010 5:54:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Only experience with Ft Riley was on my way to Ft Carson...

Driving along...just cruising past fields and cows...all of a sudden...helicopters on the side of the road. WTF? Oh...Ft Riley....then more fields and cows...

If you're young and single...Manhattan will be your friend.

ETA: I see you're married. Good luck out there

Link Posted: 8/3/2010 5:58:44 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm stationed at Fort Riley, been here for going on 2.5 years, and with a deployment this fall it will be 3+ years before I'm out of here.

I personally love this post, tons to do, great services

Ask away and I'll answer whatever I can, or point you in the right direction.  IM me if you know you what unit your going to, I can probably get you set up with some email addresses or phone numbers (I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess your coming to my unit as we have priority fill)  Any help you need let me know.
Link Posted: 8/3/2010 6:01:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know what road you took but it's a little less than 2 hours straight down I-70.

Really, I was born and raised in Kansas City and it seemed like it was a lot further.  My girlfriend was in KC, so it probably just seemed further.

Link Posted: 8/3/2010 6:01:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

You obviously haven't been here in a while. Brand new PX, Commisary, and housing Units popping up all over the place. They have dumped an ass load of money into Ft Riley in the past few years and it's set to continue for the near future. It's still not paradise, but it's a far cry from the old days.

We don't spend any more time in the field than any other Unit I've been to. But when we do go to the field, we usually spend time at one of the 8 MOUT facilities that have been built in recent years.

You are absolutely right about Junction City, though. Still a shit hole full of white trash and thugs. If you're gonna live off post you need to head out towards manhattan.

As far as CCW goes, Military has to be here for 6 months befor applying. Then you have to take a one day class and submit the application which can take as long as 4 months to get back. In all it will cost you about $240 to get a CCW, depending on how much the instructor charges.
Open carry is legal but many buisnesses have gun buster signs in the window, not many people open carry here.
Link Posted: 8/3/2010 6:01:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Much of that has been publicly firmed up, here is whats official.

2/1 ID is set to deploy Oct/Nov
1st BDE just returned from NTC
2/1 heads to JRTC next month

behyond that, I'm not sure what has been officially stated and what hasn't so I'll leave it to your unit to let you know
Link Posted: 8/3/2010 6:04:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really, I was born and raised in Kansas City and it seemed like it was a lot further.  My girlfriend was in KC, so it probably just seemed further.

Same, only I still live in Olathe and go to KSU, I have driven it probably 80 times in the last 2 years. It's not bad at all.
Link Posted: 8/3/2010 6:05:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Sorry to hear you had a bad expierience here, if you don't mind my asking what years were you here?

Everyone told me I would hate Riley, but I really enjoy the post.  Free ranges for privately owned firearms out to 1,000 yds, multiple indoor pistol ranges, a major city only 2 hours away, and colorado and great skiing is only 8 hours drive or a short flight from manhattan to Denver.

They are pouring money in and improving the post, JC has crappy parts, but that is pretty standard at any post.  Manhattan is alright, but the wide open spaces and great hunting and fishing are what I love.
Link Posted: 8/3/2010 6:08:56 PM EDT
[#21]
On the firearms note, I have an AR and a Ruger P90

I'd prefer to keep them in my home, not in an armory. I'm sure that precludes me from base living (I was reserves before, this'll be my first duty station)

How are they about coming on post to fire at the ranges? I know Gordon was no hassle about it.
Link Posted: 8/3/2010 6:11:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I'd prefer to keep them in my home, not in an armory. I'm sure that precludes me from base living (I was reserves before, this'll be my first duty station)

How are they about coming on post to fire at the ranges? I know Gordon was no hassle about it.

If you want to shoot on post it has to be registered with the provost marshall (not hard at all to do) it is checked at the ranges.  Other than that they are not bad, I've had no issues in the time I've been here, and the guys who run the range are a great group of folks, who love to shoot and know their guns
Link Posted: 8/3/2010 6:15:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry to hear you had a bad expierience here, if you don't mind my asking what years were you here?

Everyone told me I would hate Riley, but I really enjoy the post.  Free ranges for privately owned firearms out to 1,000 yds, multiple indoor pistol ranges, a major city only 2 hours away, and colorado and great skiing is only 8 hours drive or a short flight from manhattan to Denver.

They are pouring money in and improving the post, JC has crappy parts, but that is pretty standard at any post.  Manhattan is alright, but the wide open spaces and great hunting and fishing are what I love.

Actually, I'm glad to hear that they are making it better and that you are enjoying yourself there.  I came home from Vietnam to an assignment at Ft. Riley and couldn't have been more disappointed with the place.  I spent most of '73, and all of '74, 75 & half of '76 there.  After the freedoms of the war, all REMF's lifers bucking for promotions made me sick.  I was a big city boy from KC and the countrified atmosphere didn't suit me at the time.  I was a career officer by choice, but the peacetime Army at that time did me in.  

Link Posted: 8/3/2010 6:18:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Big Homeland Security Bio science lab going in at Manhattan. Might be worth a look for SO. Don't think they have broken ground yet but should be good for lots of gubmint jobs. If you like the outdoors you will like it in KS. Target rich enviroment for hunting as well as fishing. Elk herd on post.
Link Posted: 8/3/2010 6:24:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Man.. you are so on the mark it ain't even funny...
constantly in the field...
I lived in Herington because it was as far away as I could afford to drive.. lol
Good fishing on Milford res, and Eldorado... I can coach ya into some badass channel cat spots near Herington... <wink>
Tons of bunny hoppers and some pretty skinny deer. If you like upland birds, the pheasant hunting is excellent too!

Stay outta Junktown... get a big 4x4 and enjoy getting muddy, fishing and hunting... lol
Beware of the "cute little Kansas farm girl"... she can likely fuck your shit up and back a trailer straighter too...

Go redneck and enjoy...

ETA.. 1/5 HHB commo
Link Posted: 8/3/2010 6:27:54 PM EDT
[#26]
... I've never hunted before...  

I think I'm going to enjoy KS. Get a literal taste of what it's like to live out there, and an excuse to buy a freezer and put it in the garage.
Link Posted: 8/3/2010 6:41:26 PM EDT
[#27]
if you go out for drinks in aggieville watch out for the frat boys, some of them are not very friendly.
Link Posted: 8/3/2010 6:59:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

behyond that, I'm not sure what has been officially stated and what hasn't so I'll leave it to your unit to let you know

Yeah, I'm in first BDE. We were all set to deploy to Iraq in November and then they cut it down to just the HHC, BSB, and sustainment.  So basically we just went to NTC for nothing. I'm still hoping for a change of orders to Afghanistan but I won't hold my breath.

Oh well, it's off to Milford Lake for some 50 pound blue cats! Man, sure does suck being stationed here.

Link Posted: 8/3/2010 7:29:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Oh well, it's off to Milford Lake for some 50 pound blue cats! Man, sure does suck being stationed here.

there was an old man out there named Bill.. he caught an 82lb yellow cat just below the dam....
was a long time ago... '92ish....

Crappie tournaments are the fun.. lol
2 pounders are pretty common.

Link Posted: 8/3/2010 7:34:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Avoid Salina.  

Don't ask, just do it.
Link Posted: 8/3/2010 7:36:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Manhattan wasn't too bad, do they still have that micro brewery?  I think it was called Apple something.

The worst hang over I ever got in my career was from a night at the Reily bowling alley. I only spent 5 bucks of my own money, but my glass was always full.  I think it was a set up.

There was a nice running park outside the main gate.

Link Posted: 8/3/2010 7:37:04 PM EDT
[#32]
I liked Riley passing through.
K-State is a good time.
Spent 2 months there prepping for A-Stan.
Cityslicker is stationed there, you could IM him.
Link Posted: 8/3/2010 8:15:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

If you're married and living on post, you'll allowed to keep your firearms in your home.  At least that's the way it was for my sister and her husban in the Army on Ft. Hood.

Link Posted: 8/3/2010 8:34:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Get a do-rag and a Monte Carlo. Kansas is gangsta!
Link Posted: 8/3/2010 8:36:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Lots of Ticks
Link Posted: 8/3/2010 9:04:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Welcome to the area!
- Summers in Manhattan (when the students are gone) are amazing, and worth putting up with the dumb kids (KSU and .mil) the rest of the year.
- Get ready for a top shelf NCAA football and basketball atmosphere.
- More than three crotch rockets outside a bar in Aggieville....move along.
- Grab a steak and a couple of beers at the Little Apple Brewery.  Any burger at So Long Saloon is worth the drive.
- When possible, stay out of Junction.
- When drinking, stay the fuck out of Junction.
- Remember that while Manhattan loves and appreciates the military, we also put up with a lot of very dumb shit from kids with less that stellar judgement.  Same thing w/ KSU.
- Ogden and Junction are dirtier than they look, Riley and Herington are charming little towns.  Topeka is about an hour, KC is around two.
- You can get a flight to a lot of places pretty cheap (and easy) from Manhattan's airport, which is really close to the Fort.
- A KS CCW is worth its weight in gold, because that means any local gun laws (Fuck you Lawrence you cess pool piece of shit) don't apply to you.
Link Posted: 8/5/2010 3:41:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Welcome to the area!
- Summers in Manhattan (when the students are gone) are amazing, and worth putting up with the dumb kids (KSU and .mil) the rest of the year.
- Get ready for a top shelf NCAA football and basketball atmosphere.
- More than three crotch rockets outside a bar in Aggieville....move along.
- Grab a steak and a couple of beers at the Little Apple Brewery.  Any burger at So Long Saloon is worth the drive.
- When possible, stay out of Junction.
- When drinking, stay the fuck out of Junction.
- Remember that while Manhattan loves and appreciates the military, we also put up with a lot of very dumb shit from kids with less that stellar judgement.  Same thing w/ KSU.
- Ogden and Junction are dirtier than they look, Riley and Herington are charming little towns.  Topeka is about an hour, KC is around two.
- You can get a flight to a lot of places pretty cheap (and easy) from Manhattan's airport, which is really close to the Fort.
- A KS CCW is worth its weight in gold, because that means any local gun laws (Fuck you Lawrence you cess pool piece of shit) don't apply to you.

Thanks a ton for all the info.

Whats up with the crotch rocket thing though? I ride, and I ride sport, so is there anything I should know gang wise around there to avoid?
CCW info is very valuable, and I'll contact Riley to find out about firearms.
Link Posted: 8/5/2010 4:00:44 PM EDT
[#38]
watch the speed trap in ogden....

Tuttle creek has a good country music festival every year check 97 country

Junction  sucks..

Huge deer

Birds.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 10:47:42 AM EDT
[#39]
BUMP...

Any other info, anyone can pass on?
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 11:03:18 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Queers & steers

You're the one who lives in TX.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 11:04:57 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Avoid Salina.  

Don't ask, just do it.

Absolutely nothing wrong with Salina.  Nice town, low crime, etc.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 11:07:10 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks Leather,

my wife is from small town VA, I'm from AZ, I think I'll enjoy it.

I read CCW was shall issue,  hows the open carry around there? Arizona was pretty much a free for all.

Appreciate the news on deployments, I guess I just show up and roll the dice!

OC is up to individual towns, there is a list somewhere that people have made detailing the bigger cities and their laws/thoughts on it.  Basically though, be prepared to be stopped by cops if you're gonna OC in a city 25k+....
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 11:08:30 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

1 hr from KSU to Topeka.....1 hr from Topeka to Olathe.

And yeah, Junction City is the hairy armpit of KS.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 1:48:17 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where does the 1st HBCT fit into that schedule?

http://www.salina.com/news/story/note091010
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 1:55:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Good BBQ all over KS.
Jim
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 2:03:38 PM EDT
[#46]
The only thing you need to know about Ft. Riley is that Kansas sucks, and it is (or was) apparently easy  get into trouble in Junction City. When I was in the 716th there were a lot of legs who got in trouble there on a regular basis....
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 2:10:15 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
The only thing you need to know about Ft. Riley is that Kansas sucks.

OK, USA

lulz
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 2:14:24 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
You will learn about Aggieville in Manhattan, KS.  

This.

Much poon to be had in Aggieville. Just as long as you can dance to 50 Cent.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 2:15:37 PM EDT
[#49]
Manhattan, KS is one of my favorite college campus towns in the world.

Windy as hell out there on I70.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 2:17:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Ft.Riley...Damn Im sorry...1ID is over the top, with the stupid............
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top