Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/7/2002 6:20:35 PM EDT
Hey guys,
  Was looking for some info on Elk Hunting in Colarado, I figured what better place, than here.

I plan on doing a self guided archery hunt, Sometime in September. When is the best time to go as it relates to the rut and bugeling?

I live in Wisconsin, and plan on buying a over the counter archery tag. I do have a Hunter Ed card, Do I need a bowhunters education card as well? Where can I find info on the costs/restrictions of the tag? I tried the Colorado DOW, but didn't come up with anything definative. I would like to go as a self guided hunt, with me and a buddy, possibly my dad. We'd like go on public land. Can anyone point me in the right direction concerning the use of public land and what not? Any general suggestion would be helpfull as well. Thanks!

-Jared
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 6:51:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Jared,
I don't know if you've got a current big game hunting brochure, but you can download one in pdf format here:
[url]http://wildlife.state.co.us/Brochures/BigGame/index.asp[/url]

I'm not a bowhunter, but I've never heard of a bowhunters education requirement in Colorado.  As far as your other questions, if other folks here can't answer them, a quick phone call to the Division of Wildlife will probably get you the answers.

Good luck on your hunt!!
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 7:11:57 PM EDT
[#2]
If you don't have your answers by tomorrow I will ask the hunters at work...
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 1:17:22 PM EDT
[#3]
This is what I got from him:

THE END OF SEASON IS THE BEST.

HUNTERS SAFETY CARD IS ALL THAT IS NEEDED ALONG WITH A CONSERVATION CERTIFICATE, WHICH CAN BE OBTAINED AT THE TIME YOU BUY YOUR LICENSE AT NO ADDITIONAL COST.    
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 1:21:50 PM EDT
[#4]
[url]http://www.co.blm.gov/[/url]
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 1:54:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Try linking up with someone from the local RMEF chapter in the area you are going to hunt. I would also try to link up with some CO bow hunters so that they can let you in on what you need to know. You will want to go early in the rut. I am not sure when that coincides with the hunting season for archery, but if the bulls are not agressive, you will likely not see one. Try to go over a three week period, as this is enough time to get settled in and to pick up the herd/bull movements. Practice your bugeling. This is what, when combined with your stalking technique, that will get you close enough for a good shot. I would also start working out now so that you can deal with the terrain. Even without snow & cold, it will wind you quick. I have hunted elk over the past two years and love it. The learning curve can be steep. Drop me a line if you have questions.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top