Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/7/2002 4:36:59 PM EDT
I half recall a story, it may have been in one of Ayoob's many articles somewhere.

As I remember the story, bad guy sticks up gun store and shoots a cop, cops friend is a vet and IPSC some high class shooter, who fast draws his comp gun and pumps [some high number] of shots into the A zone with [some high wonder IPSC gun that makes major major].

Any help with the memory?
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 3:06:24 PM EDT
[#1]
BTT...
Anyone? This bothering me.
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 4:02:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Happyshooter,

You're referring to the 1989 shooting in a Renton, WA gun store.  The shooter, a young mentally handicapped male, walked past a Renton PD car in the parking lot, into the store and started shooting.  There was a Renton LEO in the store who returned fire with with one shot with his Glock 17.  Unfortunately, the LEO had just transitioned from a revolver and had his thumb high on his wrist and jammed his gun.  My friend, Danny M, high master IPSC shooter and a clerk who worked at the store, opened fire with three shots from his Colt Delta Elite in 10mm.  All of the hits, as reported by the coroner (also an IPSC shooter) were A hits.  All three shots exited the body, which caused the local paper to report, erroneously, that the shooter had been shot 7 times (4 in, 3 out).

This has been reported in the Ayoob Files in the American Handgunner magazine and I believe is also on the Darwin Awards site.

The sad thing was that the young man had never been in trouble with the law before and his parents had no clue as to why he wanted to go into a gun store and start shooting.  As reported, the man was mentally handicapped and was making great progress in becoming independent.  There was no civil suit as far as I know (I moved to north Alabama in the summer of '90 and lost touch with Danny).  The Renton Police Chief awarded Danny a medal for saving the cop's life.

Ayoob also reports that this was this was the first reported shooting of a human being with the 10mm.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Merlin
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 6:34:29 AM EDT
[#3]
That's it, thanks. I had a slight memory of reading it, and the fact I could not remember more was bugging me.
You always remember Ayoob's writing style, he just writes a little off.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top