Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/7/2002 12:29:05 PM EDT
I have a couple of rabbits in the freezer from the last time I went hunting.  I’d like to cook them up soon. Does anyone have a tasty rabbit recipe that they are willing to share ?
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 12:42:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Ye Olde Rabbit Stew Recipe

2 rabbits, young, cut in pieces

3 carrots, peeled, quartered

3 tomatoes, sliced

3 onions, peeled, quartered

1 turnip, peeled, quartered

4 tablespoons lard

2 tablespoons flour

water, boiling

seasonings to taste

Fry rabbits, carrots, onions and turnips in a frying pan with the lard. Empty contents of frying pan into a stew pan. Sprinkle with flour. Mix well. Cover with boiling water. Add tomatoes and seasonings. Cover and let cook for about 45 minutes. Then serve.
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 12:46:30 PM EDT
[#2]
or, if you would like the full list...

http://www.bowhunting.net/susieq/rabbit.html
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 2:09:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, search the web for hundreds of recipes.
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 3:21:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Anyone else remember the Bugs Bunny episode about this?
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 3:35:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 6:18:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Like waldo said they are much like chickens(young ones better and tame ones fatter) But unlike chickens you get four legs and thighs!  Pressure cooking also makes allmost anything eatable!   For taste pressure cook them, strip the meat add shrimp-par-boil make a cajion  bugs-creol, bugs jambali..   rice,carrots every thing but the kitchen sink!  yummm   bob cole
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 7:12:54 PM EDT
[#7]
fwiw - I've had good luck grinding or chunking the meat and making chili - came out great.

Tate  
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 7:23:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

You can usually get good results just pan frying it like chicken. My Grandmother used to soak them overnight in a little milk. Don't soak them in salt water, it just makes the rabbit dry and tough.
The old tough ones you can pressure cook, then bone the meat and make rabbit and dumplings.

Rabbit, keeps ya hoppin ;)
View Quote

Yes, Yes!...roll in flour, alittle salt and pepper, and into the frying pan.  GOOD stuff!
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 7:27:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Ive always liked sprinkling seasoning salt and wrapping them in bacon. then smoke them in a charcol smoker. Same recipie for pheasant too. Comes out great
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 8:14:32 PM EDT
[#10]
I wouldn't know.  The last rabbit I had was boiled in a rusty can.

It was chewy.  Maybe I should print out some of those recipes...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top