Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/7/2002 7:33:36 AM EDT
Check out the new Guns & Ammo on pg. 14.  Apparently, the US has contracted Metal Storm Limited to build this new weapon. they have a prototype that shoots 60,000 rpm (pic). It'll shoot 9mm, and maybe grenades later. They want to build a new 288 barrel version that will shoot a million rpm. Pretty interesting.
[img]http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/69460f7f/bc/marks+photos/Metal+Storm.jpg?bcShMA9Aqnsh9Ex3[/img]
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 7:36:21 AM EDT
[#1]
There is a handgun version as well.

The bullets are in series and are fired electrically.

[url]http://www.metalstorm.com/[/url]

You can buy their stock on NASDAQ
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 7:42:12 AM EDT
[#2]
This sounds like the CWS2000 project.  It was supposed to shoot 1M rounds in a minute covering 7000 meters X 4000 meters.  It was to be an area air defence weapon for Soviet saturation attacks.

I want to know what poor bastard is going to reload this thing while under fire.

Does it come with a speed loader?  To bad it will never be civilian legal (or afordable to shoot).

Load faster private Pile! Faster!
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 7:45:59 AM EDT
[#3]
The article says it may be used in place of land mines. It looks like its pretty small and portable so I would guess you would discard it after it blows its load.
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 7:47:17 AM EDT
[#4]
And, it would only take Lake City three months to produce enough ammo for the next volley.
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 8:29:53 AM EDT
[#5]
When will the Civilian version be available? [heavy]

The handgun looks interesting, I hope it doesnt become a LEO MIL only weapon.
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 9:48:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
When will the Civilian version be available?

The handgun looks interesting, I hope it doesnt become a LEO MIL only weapon.
View Quote

A ten-round semi-auto version would probably meet the requirements of current U.S. and Canadian law...

This type of firearm is very interesting.  However, at least two issues that I see with it are:
1) How do you reload?  Do you just throw in a new barrel full of loads?  Can you reuse the barrels?  How sturdy and stable is the uncased propellant? Can the loads be handloaded?
etc. etc.  
2) The way the firearm works:
The first round you fire is close to the muzzle end of the barrel.
The last round you fire is at the other end of the barrel.
Does muzzle velocity and therefore point of impact change from the first round through the last round?

Still, exciting stuff!  Potential advantages for a pistol:
a) Fewer moving parts, which could translate to greater accuracy.
b) The electrical trigger should be lighter and smoother, one of the best things that you can do to a firearm to improve accuracy.
c) Lighter weight, without the magazine and cartridge cases.  (This might be nullified by having to have a longer barrel to accomodate the ammunition).
d) The handgrip, no longer containing a magazine, can be made as ergonomic as desired, perhaps even detachable and customizable.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top