Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 3/23/2001 5:37:40 PM EDT
gunshop.I sometimes help out at the local gun shop and I hear some real whoppers.Man I really have to bite my tounge in some cases,I dont want to run of the peoples customers.However if a antigunner comes in or my favorite.Yhe guy who only thinks certian firearms (example,not his) should be banned.It OPEN SEASON on them.He says we dont need there kind of bussiness.Any "BS" strory from  the range or gunshow also.I have a few I'll tell you later.
Link Posted: 3/23/2001 5:39:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Why the hell is this going to page 4?
Link Posted: 3/23/2001 6:03:12 PM EDT
[#2]
here`s a couple i can think of; most recent "my dad`s a local cop,i`ve shot his glock, i`m going for my permit now, and i want a pistol that will take out a guy`s knee, but i don`t want to kill anybody!" felt bad for the clerk, the place was busy and he was trying to wait on customers.(me for one)....a well dressed, apparently educated couple came in and started asking simple but not unusual questions about handguns. the man wanted to handle some of the examples, and when the clerk asked what type of permit he had, the man states "oh yeah, how do you get one of those things?" (permit)...turned ugly real fast....another time, a guy was yelling across the store, to one of the clerks what a GREAT trip he had,how many dahl sheep he got,elk etc. may have been true, but what a BRAGFEST...last one is when people come in and are basically clueless, and as soon as the clerk sees this (some of them) the $ lite-up and the B/S starts. people should stay out of shops till they know SOMETHING!!![puke]
Link Posted: 3/23/2001 6:10:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Oh, I've heard a bunch.  "We can't sell you the Black Talon bullets we have, they've been outlawed." "Oh, don't worry about the LE/Military Only" mark on that Colt Tactical Carbine. That just means that Colt can only sell it new to the cops, but if a cop sells it to me, I can sell it to anyone...just like those LE Only magazines."  "Yeah, this here FAL (a Century Arms STG58) was made in Austria, it's a Steyr."
Link Posted: 3/23/2001 6:33:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I dont know...  Maybe that guy posting that the mini14 kicks the AR's ass....  Thats a streatch
Link Posted: 3/23/2001 7:54:03 PM EDT
[#5]
"I did not have sexual relations with that woman, Monica Lewensky"  heh

Aviator
Link Posted: 3/24/2001 5:53:46 AM EDT
[#6]
"Those handguns there (points to the Glocks) have the porcelain barrels!" "AND you can get them through metal detectors with the plastic frame!" [b] What a LOAD!!!!!!!!!!![/b] [:D] Milldude

PS-After hearing that BS on DIEHARD2, I couldn't bring myself to finish watching the movie. [puke]
Link Posted: 3/24/2001 6:02:06 AM EDT
[#7]
biggest BS story, .........huh.......once i heard of this thing, it was like that '94 AW ban or sumthing
Link Posted: 3/24/2001 6:09:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/24/2001 6:11:09 AM EDT
[#9]
This wasn't in a gunstore but in the head office of the football team I played for in college.  I was talking to a buddy of mine about a ride along I'd done with the campus police for fun and another guy comes in and stars listening.  As soon as I finish this other guy jumps in and starts going on about how he used to do ride alongs in California.  Here's where the BS really gets deep. If you guys have hip waders,  get em' out now;

So then he starts going on about how he was on a ride along one night and they get called to some sort of hostage or emergency deal.  They get there and a guy is barracaded in a house.  Well they can't get him to come out and they decide to go in and get him.  But the hapless cops cannot figure out how to get the door open so they put the call in to our hero Behunin (the name has not been changed to not protect the stupid).   Behunin is 6'8" and about 330lbs (we were offensive lineman) and they decide Behunin is the perfect door breaching implement.

So they get Behunin and strap a vest on him (the cops just happened to have a XXXXXL vest laying around in the trunk I guess).  Then the give him a gun and tell him to knock the door down for them.  Our hero goes to the door, rams into it and it crumbles under his girth like paper.  He flies through it yelling "FREEZE!" and stumbles on something and dives across the floor. The other cops come charging in after him, leaping over him and detaining the suspect who was pointing a fully automatic shotgun at them and trying to kill them all.    One of the cops hits the crazy, well armed home owner and they both fall down,  dropping their guns.  Our hero Behunin jumps up and runs over there and Sumo's our poor suspect into submission,  saving the cops,  rescuing innocent victims and ruining doors.  He thinks they were going to give him a medal or something but he had to show up at summer camp so couldn't go.

My  buddy and I (also a shooter with lots of experience) just sat there with our jaws on the floor wondering when the BS was going to stop.  Even the football secretary, who has never even seen a real gun knew it was BS.  As soon as Behunin finished,  my buddy just looked at me and we both burst out laughing.  We couldn't quit for about five minutes.  I laughed at that damn guy EVERY TIME I saw him for the rest of the year.  Then he quit and moved to cali again. (to fight crime I guess)

Anyway, it wasn't a gun store but it was the single biggest line-o-bs I ever heard.

Crash
Link Posted: 3/24/2001 6:17:11 AM EDT
[#10]
1) .38 Specials wound as well as 7.62mmx39mm
2) .30 Carbine ammo wouldn't penetrate Chinese winter coats in Korea.
3) 9mm Para wouldn't penetrate Russian greatcoats in WWII.
[pyro]
Urban Combat Legends
Link Posted: 3/24/2001 6:26:28 AM EDT
[#11]
A gun shop dealer once tried to sell me 30 rd USA brand mags as USGI aluminum.He did'nt get far.Same one tried telling me Hesse and Spirit Arms made pre-bans.
Link Posted: 3/24/2001 7:44:37 AM EDT
[#12]
You all know the gunshow dealer with all the rusty M1's, 1911's & the like ( always has a whole bunch of really RARE weapons & lots of moldy rotten leather shit ), Anyway, this dude in all his infinite wisdom was trying to sell a looker a beater Garand that he claimed was a prototype. The thing had been blasted so bad that only 2 numbers were visible, and it had all the characteristics of about a 4 million range production. The only part even close to being WWII was the smooth buckle web sling.
I may get to see this historian tomorrow at the CR show.
Oh, I just thought of another good one. I once had a show dealer in San Jose ( mid 1980's) tell me I shouldnt be seen trying to sell my little H&R .22 wheelgun at the show, because it was the same model used to shoot Reagan.......O-KAY.
Link Posted: 3/24/2001 8:10:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Had a guy at a gun show here in ca try to tell me that a wood stock no pistol grip mini14 was going to be banned under sb23 and was asking 600 bucks the rifle had no evil features and was used.
Link Posted: 3/24/2001 8:12:24 AM EDT
[#14]
I was told by a guy that standard 22LR loads from a marlin model 60 bounced off tukeys at 20 yards.

I think mine tops them all.
Link Posted: 3/24/2001 8:15:57 AM EDT
[#15]
BTW, that wasnt in a gun shop though
Link Posted: 3/24/2001 8:38:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I was told by a guy that standard 22LR loads from a marlin model 60 bounced off tukeys at 20 yards.

I think mine tops them all.
View Quote

I still have my Marlin 60 and in about '79 I shot a buzzard from my side door at about 100 yards (I was 14, I'm old now and the memory is not so good).  The thing fell over, stood up and flapped it's wings a couple times and flew away.

I got a YERY intense lecture from my aunt while  I was telling my uncle about this.  It turns out that buzzards are protected.

Anyway I do believe it would kill a turkey at 50 yards and only a fool would shoot at one farther away.

Or a 14 year old I guess...
Link Posted: 3/24/2001 9:21:11 PM EDT
[#17]
SS109, the one about the winter coat and the .30 Carbine is true at even less than 50 yards according to some DOD material I read many more years ago than I care to remember (when I was in the military).  You are saying it is not true?  Curious.  Where can I get material on that, because I, perhaps foolishly, believed it.
Link Posted: 3/24/2001 9:32:36 PM EDT
[#18]
"...and I have my permit to buy any pistol I want because my dad was in DC swat..."

Florida requires no "permit" to buy a firearm.

"the .30 Carbine is a sissy round that can't even penetrate a Koreans winter Jacket..."
SS109 and I are on the same page with these stories. Total bU*1s*it.

Regarding ArmaliteFan's initial question regarding Antis in a gun shop, I have a pretty good example. My local gun shop is also a Knife dealer like many gun shops. The very day I went in to pick up a SAR-2, there were a couple there from gods-honest merry-ole-England there buying knives. The guy was a "collector".
The woman pipes up "...isn't this terrible, all of the guns and that..."

I kinda went off on them, and they were your typical timid Brits.
"Oh, no. You just don't understand. We don't have these things in our country."

"Yeah, well, maybe that's why we kicked your ass in the 18th century, or have had to bail you out of two big ones in the 20'th" was all I could come up with.
Link Posted: 3/24/2001 9:45:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/25/2001 12:10:23 AM EDT
[#20]
OK here is one for McUzi and SS109
Older gentleman comes into gunshop.Spies a M1 carbine on the rack.He says he had one in WW2 and hated the thing.Well im always up for a good war story,my uncle was caught on Battan and and had a few of his own.Anyway this guy says how he got into a firefight in the jungle.
A Japanese soldier pops up at 100yrds. and he starts firing but the guy wont go down.On the 30th shot he finally falls dead.When he and his friends inspect the body they found not one bullet pierced the skin! It had just beat him to death.Also he had hit him 29 times out of 30.
Now what i wanted to know was how did they know he had been hit 29 times.Did they undress and count the bruises?From my uncles accounts you couldnt see a 100yrds.Evey one in the store was rollin.
Link Posted: 3/25/2001 1:24:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Listened to an inbred in a shop tell how his best friend had a .410 single barrel and how he would load it with .44 magnum rounds and "it would shoot straight as an arrow"

Dealer (not where I usually shop at home) selling SKS's - I ask if they are chrome bores (easy to spot - knew it wasn't) he says "they are chromed they just dont polish them out all the way"

Idiot looking at 1911's through the glass says that ".45 acp has one heck of a knockdown power up close but you can catch a bullet in your hand at 80 yards"

A savant at local K-mart looking at guns wants to see a .22 magnum so he can kill a deer.

Link Posted: 3/25/2001 6:09:31 AM EDT
[#22]
The guy looking for the 22 magnum might know what he is looking for.  A friend of mine was talking to an old native onetime, who asked, "do you know how to kill a moose with a .22?  Sure, shoot it behind the ear.  No - shoot it in the knee, so when it goes into the brush to die, the fish and game airplanes can't see you."  Well, OK, but not my style.

...The guy who claims his SKS will shoot 1" at 300 yards, with chinese ammo - the old stuff you can't import any more.  I was polite and told him he has a one in a thousand rifle with a very carefully chosen lot of ammo.  It did not have to be said.

...The 1600 yard shot everyone has heard of second hand.

Anymore, I am not too quick to call BS.  There are too many guys who have been there, done that.  
Link Posted: 3/25/2001 6:25:16 AM EDT
[#23]
I was working for the Forest Service.  I got talking to this indian who was on a fire crew that was stationed at the district I was on for a few days.  Told me he was a cop on his reservation. Also told me he once neck shot a deer at 400 yards offhand with an unscoped AK-47.  Just to see how much he knew I asked him if it was milled or stamped. He didn't know. I asked him what caliber. He didn't know that either.  
Link Posted: 3/25/2001 6:29:35 AM EDT
[#24]
Topic - What's the biggest "BS"story you ever heard in a gun shop?

The guy who owned it put less than 100 rounds through it.
Link Posted: 3/25/2001 8:04:01 AM EDT
[#25]
LOL!
I loved the story of the Jap who was bruised to death with a M1 Carbine!
There are some I believe however. Cole Younger had 16 bullet holes in him after the Northfield raid and survived. I once shot a rat climbing a wall five times with a .22LR before it died. It ponly stopped climing on the fifth shot.
Link Posted: 3/25/2001 9:21:54 AM EDT
[#26]
All my guns are perfect.
-Todd Bailey
Link Posted: 3/25/2001 9:25:05 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
All my guns are perfect.
-Todd Bailey
View Quote

Ha ha!  That's a great one!

How about this one:

My SW5s are better than real HK94s.
-also by todd bailey
Link Posted: 3/25/2001 4:37:06 PM EDT
[#28]
An old farmer in the local resturant "swears" that the extent of his "deer huntin`" for years,  was to "hit em` in the head" with the 22lr he kept in the barn for just that purpose..(get em while thier eatin` corn right out the back window...only got to walk a couple feet to drag em` in!..)....the natives on the local "rez" buy up all the sks`s the local guy can supply (along with other odd items) and the cheapest bullets to go with them. whether or not any get lucky @ 400 yds???...deer meat ALL YEAR LONG....[sniper]
Link Posted: 3/25/2001 6:04:56 PM EDT
[#29]
About that .22 bouncing off a turkey.  I've had .22 CCI rat shot (pepper shot, whatever it's called these days) bounce off a [i]pigeon[/i] at about 3 yards.  I thought he was super pigeon or something.  A .22 short took care of him, though.

Norm
Link Posted: 3/25/2001 6:05:21 PM EDT
[#30]
The one where the guy gets shot with an m-16 and it goes in his shoulder and comes out his foot.
Or my favorite where a guys says he was a marine commando. I've never heard of one so I ask what his MOS was and he didn't know what that meant. So I ask what his ETS was and he didn't know that either.
I think my favorite was the one where the guy hits a deer at 500 yards with the gun sighted in at 100 yards and he hits it by holding high on his shoulder. Oh of course the deer was moving.  
Link Posted: 3/25/2001 6:09:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Most of them have to do with the ability of a fellow shooter to shoot 2" groups at 500 yards, standing, no rest of any kind to support the rifle, hung over, forgot prescription glasses, and oh yeah - IRON SITES.

Me I can't even SEE a typical paper target at 500 yards without a scope/binoculars, and I have good vision and don't wear glasses.

And it's worse on this board because no one has to look you in the eye when they claim they shot "1 1/2" ten shot group at 200 meters with thier AUG with a "Circle Of Death" reticle 1.5 power Swarovski". Sound like anyone y'all know?
Link Posted: 3/25/2001 7:16:45 PM EDT
[#32]
or the guy who got his 8 pointer at 200 yards with his 12ga. 2 3/4" smooth bore 18" bbl.....[shotgun]
Link Posted: 3/25/2001 9:30:43 PM EDT
[#33]
This is not really a BS story but it was pretty funny. A guy came in trying to act a like some kind of expert. I ask "can I help you?" and he says "I want one of the old army style .45's" I said "you mean a 1911?" He said "No, I don't want one quite that old, I want one that's a little newer". Another "Expert" says "the .50 BMG is the most over rated round ever made, you can't hit anything with the damn thing" I said "so Hathcock must have just lucked up when he made the shot at 2500 yards" He said "he couldn't beleive that" and that he had never heard of such.
Link Posted: 3/25/2001 11:27:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/25/2001 11:54:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Well,
I don't know about chinese winter coats but I know my little M1carb will shatter a concrete block at 100yrds.
My favs got to be the 100yrd beating with the 30carbine LOL
Link Posted: 3/25/2001 11:59:34 PM EDT
[#36]
refer to the post made by Jarhead_22

he gave a hilarious link by the CO of the Mall ninja dojo.

http://www.hk91.com/boards/Forum2/HTML/001283.html

I have to point out that Jarhead originally posted this link, it is hilarious and I hope you enjoy.
Link Posted: 3/26/2001 6:22:08 AM EDT
[#37]
This s an oldy but goody, a woman became pregnant by a bullet. On the frontier, Indians were attacking, she was standing on the porch.
An Indian shot a rifle, which shot a calvary soldier in the gonads, the bullet passed through and hit the woman in the abdomen. She gave birth 9 months later.
I have also heard this story with an arrow instead of a bullet. They must have been hollowpoints.
Link Posted: 3/26/2001 7:47:30 AM EDT
[#38]
The Aleut have a traditional way to take a Polarbear.

They cut a 4 foot diameter hole in the ice.

They take 3 cans of peas and line them all up on the edge of the hole.

When the Bear comes to take a pea they kick it in the icehole!!!

Hunter out...
Link Posted: 3/26/2001 8:27:05 AM EDT
[#39]
Uhhhh....no polar bears around where the Aleut live ;)

The biggest BS story I head was from this weird guy at college named James.  He looked like and had a personality very close to Neuman on Seinfeld.  He always dressed in black suits, was a Satanist/sorcerer, and would talk about how he was an international arms dealer over summer vacations, supplying weapons to terrorist organizations.  Needless to say, he knew jack shit about guns when asked specifically what he sold, or whether he could get some for me.
Link Posted: 3/26/2001 9:18:47 AM EDT
[#40]
Athabaskin?

Oh wait was supposed to be a BS story lol

Hunter out...
Link Posted: 3/26/2001 9:51:07 AM EDT
[#41]
garden weasel
believe it or not i have run into numerous guns that if they had 1/2 a box of 50 fired through them it was alot.
i also have called on a few ad's for guns. when looking over the gun they usually have the mini-van out front with toys all over the place, etc.
one time the guy says he fired 2rds to see how loud it was!!!. he then produces the receipt of his purchase and incl on it is the box of ammo (price and name of store still on it) with 2rs missing!! said with the kids and all his wife wanted him to sell it before an "accident" happened. oh yeah it was a s&w 640.
Link Posted: 3/26/2001 9:56:54 AM EDT
[#42]
At a gunshow near Savannah while I was stationed in GA about '95:

Woman complained someone had burnt a hole in her jacket while examining a laser sight. She told the dealer she felt [b]"great pain"[/b] from that lttle red-dot.

To black&green-The .22lr is the preffered method of taking after-hours whitetail around here. I have 'witnessed' the practice several times myself. So have the Game Enforcement Officers. One headshot puts deer down quietly without a fuss.
Link Posted: 3/26/2001 12:20:28 PM EDT
[#43]
I love the idiot kids who seem to believe that "snipers" can pull off these amazing feats of skill, something like shooting a quarter at a distance of 1 mile.

Ran into a kid this evening who was talking to some SWAT snipers at a local gun range and they told him they could hit a quarter at a distance of a mile.  I just laughed and laughed, tried to explain to this kid the downright imposibilities of doing something like that, started to explain the concepts of MOA and typicall accuracy concepts to him.  Let's see, 1/10 MOA equals 1 inch at 1000 yards and a mile equals 1760 yards, a rifle capable of holding 1/10MOA would be doing a little less than a 2 inch group at one mile and yet a quarter doesn't pose much challenge to the shooter.  Besides?  What kind of optics are they using to be able to see this quarter at a distance of 1 mile?

I try to help people become a little bit more informed but sometimes no matter how hard I try they don't believe me.

What can you do?  LOL!

There are a couple variations of this theme, always revolves around snipers or something similar.  I think part of it is due to a group of actual professionals who get a kick out of telling a couple lies to a group of gawking uninformed people so that way the story teller can goto his buddies and they can all get a couple laughs together.  The others are idiot posers that think that this level of skill is actually possible, on demand.

I've seen some damned amazing groups, one guy I talk to has sent me a photograph of a 3 shot group fired at a distance of 400 yards that measures .46 center to center and witnessed, now that's some damned fine shooting.  As for being able to do it again?  This guy is the first to admit it was a pretty damned lucky group, to think you'd need to be able to shoot that tight at 1760 yards to hit a quarter at 1 mile's distance.  BAH HA HA HA!
Link Posted: 3/26/2001 12:42:49 PM EDT
[#44]
I don't have the exact references, but I have read in several publications over the past many years, a possible explanation to the .30 carbine failure legends.  I cannot remember which gunwriters, but i read the following scenario.  Most of the horror stories are of Korean war rather than WW2 era.  There were a lot of M-2 carbines in Korea.  The M2 has awful muzzle climb on auto. GI's(at least when they're telling war stories) NEVER miss.  Therefore the .30 carbine cartridge must be very ineffective. Bu, since I can't recall any of the references, don't take my word for any of it.  Makes sense, though.
Link Posted: 3/26/2001 3:55:07 PM EDT
[#45]
SS109: Actually, the bullet/baby story is true.  It happened during the Civil War, IIRC it was a confederate soldier that was the victim/father due to a union soldier's bullet, the History channel talked about it for a few minutes a while back.  The victim/father even heard about it after the war, went and found the girl, and married her.

Kharn
Link Posted: 3/26/2001 4:05:54 PM EDT
[#46]
People who claim to defend the 2nd amendment (especially gunowners) but do not support the militia, because some commie ba_tard led them to believe that militia is bad!

Whan idiots do not understand, is that, not supporting the militia is EXACTLY why tyrants are taking away their gun rights, for the tyrants sees nothing by cowards, thus moves forward with even more restrictions and bans!

I know some of you do not like the truth:
"But claiming to support the 2nd Amendment and not supporting the militia, IS THE BIGGEST BULL SH_T STORY OF ALL TIMES!"

The founding fathers roll in their graves because of the now complacent attitude of Americans who do not have a clue that, they are being raped of their freedoms, by an enemy from within!
Link Posted: 3/27/2001 4:37:30 AM EDT
[#47]
Whenever I buy a gun or pistol I ALWAYS announce as the paperwork is done usualy when the store is crowded with people, "could you tell me how late the seven elevens are open till"?    oh yeah it gets real quiet....
Link Posted: 3/27/2001 6:06:12 AM EDT
[#48]
Todays expert:
This 45 Haskell is the most accurate pistol I ever shot at 100yrds.I was only there 5 minutes to see if anything new had come in on trade.The real kicker was it was a 9mm!
Link Posted: 3/27/2001 7:24:54 AM EDT
[#49]
I'll have to agree with kevin n on the 22lr stories why shoot the ceterfire rounds when a rim fire does a fine job, and not nearly as loud while your neighbors are sleeping!! along with many others. like if you get found with your ill gotten gains you only lose a cheap 22 not your good rifle.And its much cheaper by the pound with 22lr, unless your one of those shooters that wait for 5 of 6 animals to line up to be taken with one shot? been told that one a few times.

FHANTOM    
Link Posted: 3/27/2001 8:01:45 AM EDT
[#50]
Boltripper: LMAO

As to that guy being shot 29 times, like he would be stupid enough to stand there, and get shot 29 times?????

----
Although this one is NOT bs, I think it should go under here.

I was there when this happened.

We were walking along a graval road quail hunting> We saw about 12 of them in the road, in a tight bunch, the guy I was with had a double barrel just a legal lenght 12 gauge, loaded with those cheap shot shells, that are low velocity, and 7 1/2 shot. He fired BOTH barrels, about a second a part into them, a cloud of dust arose, and not one dead.

NOT ONE!

It was no more than a 15 yard shot. and NOT ONE!

We were both amazed.

With my browning gold, the next day, we went out there, I spotted one, at an HONEST 40-45 yards away, flying, I got him with the same cheap loads, One shot.

No BS!

-Green
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top