Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/6/2002 12:42:10 PM EDT
just got back it took 4.5 hours to walk thru at a fairly good pace. avg price for an ar (olympic) 750.00 bushmaster 800.00 colt 1000    stripped lowers (olympic) 120.00. sar 1 7.62x39 350.00 to 400.00 my best deals were thermold m14 mags new 24.95 and 1000 rounds loose ammo mixed korean ,isreali, guatemalan, 100.00 out the door ,SCORE!!!!!! all and all not a bad way to spend the afternoon.
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 1:25:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Not too shabby.. you know pipefitter, sometimes they call me that name as well [;D] at work.
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 6:19:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Did you happen to run into antiUSSA & Grin&Barrett??

ColtShorty

GOA KABA COA JPFO SAF NRA

"I won't be wronged,  I won't be insulted
and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do
these things to other people and I require
the same from them."
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 6:55:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I was there and ran into "ilikelegs", who drove up from Dallas. Super nice guy...

Sorry guys, I wasn't that impressed with this show.

First of all, $10 to get in the door! I bought an advance ticket a couple of days before the show for $9. Whatever happened to $5 or $6 gun show tickets?

I thought prices were outrageous. $1800-$2500 for pre-ban AR's. Chinese SKS's were priced at $240-$275. Hell, the Yugoslavian SKS is a better rifle and they were cheaper! I saw one dealer who should have been bitch-slapped for what he was trying to do. He had a SLR-100H(a post-ban AK variant with enough U.S. parts to utilize a pistol grip) that he was trying to pass off as a pre-ban and had it priced at $1100. I used to own one and paid only $525 for it. Hopefully nobody fell/falls for that scam...

Everybody and their brother seems to be a Ruger dealer these days. What's up with that?

There were a few SIG-Sauer pistols, but they were high. HK USP's were scarce. I was price checking HK USP45's or one of the new SIG-Sauer 220's with the accessory rail for a friend. Didn't see any of either model.

Lots of "gun junk" dealers. You know, the guys with a bunch of worn out parts in piles on a table.

Ammo prices were decent, but not spectacular. I paid $42 out-the-door for a 200 round battle pack of .308 Hirtenberger ammo. South African 5.56 was going for the same price for a 300 round battle pack.

The Sooner Gun Show that was here in February was a smaller show(upper level only) but had better deals, IMHO. Less crowded, too.

The Wannenmacher shows just ain't as good as they used to be a few years ago...and I've been going since 1990.

Just my $0.02...
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 7:04:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I probably spent about six hours at the show.
Spent some time with DonR and his lovely wife Kelley as well as Mark Westrom and his wife Judy - from ArmaLite.

I don't believe I've ever seen as many people wandering around but buying little or nothing.

One of the more astounding deals I was able to pass was a beater and I do mean beater SAR-48 folder for $2800.00  !!  The flash-suppressor had been removed in favor of some sort of muzzle brake and the thing had a spiral striped vertical pistol grip attached.

I've seen this show short on deals before but this time I didn't see any deals nor much quality.
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 7:34:01 PM EDT
[#5]
I went with my grandson.  We left after about 2.5 hours.  No deals that I saw.  I did buy 200 rds. of 308 for $39.00, but thats not a great deal by any means.  Parking was bad and it was very crowded.  I think I will just stick to the internet and local stores from now on.
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 9:55:36 PM EDT
[#6]
I too spent 4.5 hours humpin around. I was lookin for a Sharps reproduction rifle. There was ONE!!! Incredible. There were the real Sharps for 2,000 to 12,000 but only One reproduction rifle!!! Stuff  too pricy and it was crowded! I liked the family outers, Mom-Pop and the 7 kids with two strollers the littlest pullin stuff off the tables on to the floor and Granny pushin Gramps in the wheel chair takin up the whole freakin isle and they're there with their neighbors too! (I know waaaaaaa!) I too bought the Hurt 308 and some silver bear 7.62 x 39. haven't tried that stuff yet. Met Anti,DonR & wife and Mark with Armalite. Sgtstinger,if ya want to get in for 7 bucks go the lil GUN shows in Tulsa. You will really enjoy lookin at the crafts, beenie babies, jerky dealers, junk dealers and a few very over priced guns.[:D] At 10 bucks this GUN SHOW actually had guns to look at.[shock] Maybe some better deals will be had before shut down tomorrow. I had a pretty good time.
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 9:59:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Phoenix "Crosshairs of the West" was 9$ today. I moved down from Michigan where the State Police would not allow such an event. the State boys in Michigan will be found out like the Catholics were found out.
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 11:41:19 PM EDT
[#8]
The four of us spent a little over 6hrs. there Sat. - just got home from the 6-1/2hr. drive back home & out of the shower - 'bout ready to hit the sack. Don't think I'll do the show this way again - we went down Friday afternoon, hit Outback for a beer & steaks, then racked out at the DoubleTree so we could get into the show early. Next time I go, I'll either spend both days or just go Sunday, when the crowds are reported to be about half what they run on Saturday. I saw several Shilo Sharps, deadeye47 - mostly on the lower level. Good deals in reloading components were available from Arms & Ammo and Powder Valley(what I call a good deal is anything under full retail & no shipping or hazmat). Highlight of my day was 1-1/2hrs. spent talking about highpower shooting & slings with Les Tam from Hawaii, who makes the best service rifle slings in the world, bar none. He wrote down the specs for a sling for me, and I can't wait to get it. It was a pleasure to meet him - only bummer was that I was asked to get a digital photo of him & myself to post on another HP shooting site, but they didn't allow cameras in the show - so no pics. In some respects, this show is just like any other big show - huge crowds, and waiting in lines for anything that you really want to buy - but in other ways, it's still a pretty classy show. For instance, the numbers & quality of collectable Winchesters was very high, and there were plenty of fine double barreled shotguns to keep the scattergunners drooling. All in all, if I hadn't had to do it in part of one day, then ride all the way back out to Western Kansas, I'd probably have enjoyed it a bit more - and having some cash available to spend on some of the goodies wouldn't have hurt anything either!
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 11:56:52 PM EDT
[#9]
I spent about 6 hours in the show today.  No great prices on anything but ammo, those were about the same as I see in shotgun news or the internet, but no shipping!  Had 3 guns to sell, and awfully nice guys got a deal on my AR and G27 about 10 minutes after I walked in and I took the last one back home with me.  I saw quite a few CETMEs and SAR's for 100-200 more than I paid for mine...lol.  Made me feel better....and saw lots of preban black rifles (and postban)...the pre's were a bit high in my opinion, some decent prices on postbans, but no better than anywhere else.  Also, I don't think I saw more than a couple of whole bushmasters or olympics...:-)  Everybody and their dog is buying stripped lowers and parts kits and putting together rifles.  Almost bought one, then found out it had a pieced together upper...whew.  Glad I didn't buy it, because the highlight of my day was driving to my FFL's house, and my good buddy had along with my second CETME....a preban SP1 for a grand.  So..my day went fairly well...:-)  So...this sp1 is a 20" with triangle HG's, no forward assist, a little dinged and dirty but not terrible. Say, 90%....how'd I do?
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 12:04:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Flatlander,I saw the Shilo rifles and they are in there with the high end Real Sharps. I'm looking for a Po-mans Sharps.  There are several makers that are less than a grand and some around 700 dollars. I only saw the one and it was $630 but it was 54 cal. The guy asked if I was going to come back Sun. as he would consider coming down if he didn't sell today...I was looking for 45-70 as I already have dies and quite a few bullets for that cal. Thinking about it your right about the Winchesters though. I've never seen that many in one place before! They were very proud of them too though.
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 7:48:14 AM EDT
[#11]
deadeye47-

IMNSHO, Wanenmacher is SERIOUSLY price-gouging the "little guy" to get in the door these days, I can only imagine how bad the dealers are getting screwed. Could that be why there are/were no deals? Wholsale ammo guys do O.K. because they can absorb the extra cost through volume sales. Guys who deal only guns have to pass on the cost to the customer, who ends up getting screwed twice. Who's getting the best "deal" at the Wanenmacher show? The promoter, of course!!!

The Sooner Gun Show that was here on Feb. 23 & 24 had better prices(from most of the same dealers who were at the Wanenmacher's show, no less), the price to get in was less, it wasn't as crowded, and there wasn't much "flea market" bullshit taking up space.

As for the "little shows", I don't mess with the R.K. shows, those ARE truly a waste of time & $$$.

That being said, I'll probably continue to go to the Wanenmacher show because it's nice to get ammo for the same or less as you can find it on-line or in Shotgun News without having to pay shipping. Or, you can inspect something before you buy it...And, ONCE IN A GREAT WHILE, you can actually find a good deal.

Thus ends this observation of a gun show "junkie"...
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 10:18:29 AM EDT
[#12]
I didn't know that they're were that many damn people in Oklahoma!! [;)] Just being able to the through crowd to a table to look at something was a feat in itself.

I have to second what the other guys said. Ammo was pretty reasonable, but most everything was a little pricey.  

It was a pleasure to meet some of the members that stopped by the Armalite tables. Deadeye, we'll have to do this again, 5subslr5, you're right.  I should have brought the Hun.

I got to see some of the things that will be given away at the BRC next month at the table where antiUSSA, and Grin&Barrett were set up. You guys are gonna love this stuff!

All in all, a good weekend.
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 4:12:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Any other Tulsa gun show reports ??
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 6:08:25 PM EDT
[#14]
[u]Bring[/u] the Hun? [u]Bring[/u] the Hun?

Isn't that kinda' like saying bring 'Scooter'?

[b]subsailor[/b], if you get within an hour's drive of Dallas, and you neglect to come see us at the Market Hall Gun Show next weekend, I am gonna get downright 'Palestinian' on you, son!

I can guar-ran-damn-tee you that at least ten, count 'em, ten AR15.com members would be lined up to go to lunch with you - our treat!

So don't let DonR be dragging you off to some T & A dancehall to look at some floozies who've seen more [b]sailors[/b] than you have!

Come to the Gun Show and be royally entertained!

Besides, we gotta make plans for the First Annual BRC submarine races.

Eric The(Don'tMakeMeComeLookingForYou!)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 6:38:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 6:49:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Did you say you bought a Colt 6721 Tactical Carbine?  If so, do you mind mentioning about how much you paid?  It's my understanding that there were only 134 of them manufactured before Sept. 13, 1994.  I've seen some pretty crazy prices on those rifles.
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 6:51:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
to go to lunch with you - our treat!

Eric The(Don'tMakeMeComeLookingForYou!)Hun[>]:)]
View Quote

..."our treat" ....  I wonder if this would be considered a contratcual obligation ??

[:D]
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 7:06:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 6:03:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
..."our treat" ....  I wonder if this would be considered a contratcual obligation ??

View Quote

Nah, Eric prefers the term "Indentured servitude".  [:D]
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 6:09:08 AM EDT
[#20]
Post from 5subslr5 -
..."our treat" .... I wonder if this would be considered a contratcual obligation ??
View Quote

Only if the offer is 'accepted within the term stated, or, if no term is stated, within a reasonable period of time, thereafter.'

So, is the offer 'accepted'?[:D]

I'll give you til 1:00 PM, on Saturday, April 13, 2002.

But I am willing to extend the period of time for an additional period, if requested!

Eric The(IndenturedServant)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 6:09:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
..."our treat" ....  I wonder if this would be considered a contractual obligation ??

View Quote

Nah, Eric prefers the term "Indentured servitude".  [:D]
View Quote

DonR,
I would never want to cause trouble but the Hun called you a Palestinian last night on a lengthy phone call didn't have !!
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 6:11:58 AM EDT
[#22]
The Hun knows better!!! [;)]
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 7:11:36 AM EDT
[#23]
[b]ilikelegs[/b]:

It's ironic that you mention "Preban Arms" as being the place you bought your bayonet.

Yesterday afternoon I approached them with a stack of BRC flyers to aid in the promotion of this event, yet they balked at it and made damn sure that I was fully aware that they no longer have any use for AR15.COM...  [i]I don't know whether he was referring to the members or the owners, and frankly I could give a rats ass![/i]

They sighted the reason, being that they would have to pay an advertising fee to do business here, and felt it was unethical as hell.  The stupid dipshit [red]should realize[/red] that his 2 days at the Tulsa show cost him a hell of a lot more than that, and that bandwith certainly doesn't come cheap these days...  Basically, he expected to earn a living, without supporting the site that he did all of his business on! ([i]freeloaders suck![/i])

Oh well, I guess I'll just have to make a mental note to never do business with "Preban Arms", since they refuse to help support a site that supports their business! [pissed]
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 7:29:30 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
[b]ilikelegs[/b]:

It's ironic that you mention "Preban Arms" as being the place you bought your bayonet.

Yesterday afternoon I approached them with a stack of BRC flyers to aid in the promotion of this event, yet they balked at it and made damn sure that I was fully aware that they no longer have any use for AR15.COM...  [i]I don't know whether he was referring to the members or the owners, and frankly I could give a rats ass![/i]

They sighted the reason, being that they would have to pay an advertising fee to do business here, and felt it was unethical as hell.  The stupid dipshit refused to realize that his 2 days at the Tulsa show cost him a hell of a lot more than that, and that bandwith certainly doesn't come cheap these days...  Basically, he expected to earn a living, without supporting the site that he did all of his business on! ([i]freeloaders suck![/i])

Oh well, I guess I'll just have to make a mental note to never do business with "Preban Arms", since they refuse to help support a site that supports their business! [pissed]
View Quote

Preban Arms will meet or exceed any higher price in the market place !  (However, he wouldn't spend one dime on AR15.com as the world owes him.)
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 9:21:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 9:28:56 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 9:33:31 AM EDT
[#27]
Please understand that I am [u]ONLY[/u] stating my personal position based upon a conversation I "tried" to have with him yesterday, and nothing more!

You guys can make up your own minds, by looking at the banners ([i]or lack of[/i]) at the top of each page here!
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 10:38:35 AM EDT
[#28]
Made the Big Tulsa Show on Saturday.  One big mamma....3800 tables, 12 acres and lots-n-lots of walking.  Few ARs & AKs, fewer FALs and enough peacemakers and winchesters to retake the West. I wanted a DSA FAL..only saw two...both for $1600...no thanks!!

Bought some 8x57 ammo, dies, odds-n-ends, and Accurate 2200 from Powder Valley--very nice folks.

Show was crowded....and many, many items overpriced.  Had to laugh at some of the "stories" some vendors were passing on about "preban" ARs and AKs, etc.  

Will stick to Houston, Mesquite, and other "select" Texas shows....but did get to make the big one.  Been there-done that!!

TexasAg

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top