Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/22/2010 9:16:54 PM EDT
My brother's a hale and healthy 21 year old.  He plays basketball round the clock, eats more or less perfectly, and has never had an interaction with the medical profession other than to have his tonsils removed and the complications resulting from.

Lately, his heart has been skipping beats, beating erratically, etc. to the point where it keeps him up at night.  No other symptoms or problems.  Doctors wired him up to a monitor for 24 hours and said his heart beat abnormally 5% of the time.  Today he talked to a cardiologist who said "it's either nothing or a congenital heart defect."  He goes in on Wednesday for an ultrasound.

Anybody here got any info for me?  Anything I should know?  Anything I should pass on to him?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 9:34:07 PM EDT
[#1]
If he's asymptomatic, they'll just keep and eye on him.  If the problem becomes more frequent and causes symptoms (shortness of breath, syncope, etc...) they may want to implant an AICD in case things get really bad...like long pauses between beats.

It's not an uncommon problem even with young healthy types, but it warrants paying attention to. Let them run the tests to be sure.

Good luck to your brother.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 11:11:32 PM EDT
[#2]

Until he gets the diagnostics, you really won't know what you are looking at. A good echocardiogram and 12 lead EKG will give a few good clues.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top