Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/22/2010 5:39:58 PM EDT
That's right I keep being corrected by people with Master's degrees that it's not Mex-i-co, but Meh-he-ko. Is Meh-he-ko the new Paque-ee-stahn. When some want's to sound like they are an area expert they say Meh-he-ko or someone is Me-he-kahn-o.

Anyway Sheet-Whole is easier to pronounce.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 5:41:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Who cares? Mexicans mispronounce English names all the time.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 5:42:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 5:43:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
That's right I keep being corrected by people with Master's degrees that it's not Mex-i-co, but Meh-he-ko. Is Meh-he-ko the new Paque-ee-stahn. When some want's to sound like they are an area expert they say Meh-he-ko or someone is Me-he-kahn-o.

Shouldn't you be out on a ledge somewhere??
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 5:43:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I usually pronounce it "that third world shithole to the south".
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 5:43:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Piranha is pronounced peer-ahn-ya if you want to sound important to fish people.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 5:44:24 PM EDT
[#6]
It's jus souff'a Tejas...
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 5:44:54 PM EDT
[#7]
In Spanish, that would be the correct pronunciation. Though the English translation is spelled the same as the Spanish name, the English pronunciation is different. Unless you are speaking Spanish, or are trying to show a special deference towards Mexicans to some specific audience,  stick with our regular pronunciation.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 5:45:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Am I speaking spanish or english?

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 5:46:42 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Who cares? Mexicans mispronounce English names all the time.

I do it for sport.

That's why I like living in states that border Mexico. Suddenly my name is pronouncable

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 5:47:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shouldn't you be out on a ledge somewhere??

Please join me, we'll hold hands.

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 5:49:31 PM EDT
[#11]
There's an old SNL skit about that, with Jimmy Smits as the guest.  His co-workers insist on using exaggerated Spanish pronunciations and it pisses him off
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 5:55:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Ain't my fault they cain't speak Murrkin.

And I truly love Renault owners who get snippy if it's not pronounced "ren-oe". I tell them it's not my foe, and that I'm en-rowt to the bank to get money out of the voe.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 6:02:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Actually, it's Meh-hee-ko, you green-go.

And its Teh-has.

and chee-lay con free-hol-ez.

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 6:09:19 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually, it's Meh-hee-ko, you green-go.

And its Teh-has.

and chee-lay con free-hol-ez.

That's a sport all itself!!

Move to Tejas then only call it tey-haas.

Or use a lower case t when you fill out paper work.

Then count the aneurysms you cause.

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 6:09:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
In Spanish, that would be the correct pronunciation. Though the English translation is spelled the same as the Spanish name, the English pronunciation is different. Unless you are speaking Spanish, or are trying to show a special deference towards Mexicans to some specific audience,  stick with our regular pronunciation.

+1. When you're speaking English, you use the English word pronunciations.

"Julian" may be pronounced "Hoo-lee-an" in Spanish, but it's pronounced "Jew-lee-an" in English...
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 6:13:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I grew up in San Antonio, spent a lot of time along the border, and dozens of trips all over Mexico. Only a douche would try and correct the pronunciation of Mexico in the US.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 6:19:31 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Ain't my fault they cain't speak Murrkin.

And I truly love Renault owners who get snippy if it's not pronounced "ren-oe". I tell them it's not my foe, and that I'm en-rowt to the bank to get money out of the voe.

Just how many Renault owners do you know?

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 6:27:20 PM EDT
[#18]
"Greeeeeen kahard"

Better now?
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 6:29:27 PM EDT
[#19]
mecks-ick-oh

I'll say it however the fuck I want to say it. I already know how they pronounce it down there.

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 7:05:13 PM EDT
[#20]
I've heard for Mexican  president Vincente Fox and his idiot former aide Juan Hernandez pronounce it Mexico when speaking English.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top