Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/22/2010 3:15:30 PM EDT
I would like to edit a vmx file of a XP Pro VM I have built.  The VM is sitting on a ESXi server.  Is it possible to drop to a command line on the ESXi server?  Or is it possible to edit the VMX from the Vsphere gui?

Thanks,
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 6:49:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Bump
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 7:49:09 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm not quite sure what you mean by edit the vmx..

You can shutdown the guest and mount it's "hard disk" on another guest, for example to virus scan the first guest w/o installing software on it.

I don't know of a way to mount that guest's hard drive to the console OS if that's what you're thinking.

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 7:53:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Assuming you make all the correct rights changes, I think you should be able to get a command line via PuTTY. I know for a fact that you can on ESX.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top