Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/22/2010 12:48:33 PM EDT
I am interested in possibly picking up an e-reader such as a kindle, etc.  I know kindle is probably the biggest name in the game, but there are competetors.  Who out there has one?  Your thoughts? would you buy one again?  would you recommend it to friends/family?  Do they live up to as advertised with ease of reading, and battery life??

I am looking to not have books taking up space on a bookshelf.  My dad has a Kindle and he seems to enjoy it.  I plan on picking his brain too, but i wanted to know what arfcom thinks.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 12:52:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Kindle is probably the "best" reader performance wise (page refresh etc).  But Amazon sucks.

B&N's Nook is a decent reader and probably has the best software interface.  Plus you can add memory, so instead of 1500 books you can carry 5k.  B&N's software also allows "lending".

Sony also has a good reader, but I havent played with one like I have a kindle and a nook.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 12:55:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm seriously considering the nook e-reader from Barnes and Noble since the price drop.  Basic model is down to $149.   Took a look at one at the local store, and I think I could be happy using it.   I'm doing research now to see if enough books I like to read are available.

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 1:00:17 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a Nook and I love it.

I bought it over the Amazon one because it has a better interface, expandable memory and is not tied to only buying books through Amazon.

The new software version has a basic web browser and some games if you get bored reading.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 1:02:12 PM EDT
[#4]
We have a kindle.  It's a great device but I really can't compare as I have never handled the other brands.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 1:21:16 PM EDT
[#5]
A friend of mine has a nook, it seems pretty nice. Its probably what I would get.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 1:26:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'm seriously considering the nook e-reader from Barnes and Noble since the price drop.  Basic model is down to $149.   Took a look at one at the local store, and I think I could be happy using it.   I'm doing research now to see if enough books I like to read are available.    

I have the nook, and am on my 2nd one after the first one was crushed by an LMTV. So, warrently/customer service is top notch!

The new, lower-price Nook DOES NOT have cell-phone 3G technology, it is WI-FI ONLY!

I use my nook daily, and it is one of my favorite devices that I own.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 1:51:05 PM EDT
[#7]
I have the sony ebook.  I would probably not buy it again.  I have never tried to use sony's store since I get my books straight from baen.com.  The hardware is ok, but nothing special.  I have worn down the advance button
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 1:54:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Kindle FTW.

Free 3g connectivity, basic web browser, listen to mp3...

LOTS of new enhancements with the latest software update, including "collections" for your books...like folders, only more flexible.

And you are NOT limited to "only buying from Amazon", though they make it VERY easy to get to the Kindle Store with your Kindle.  You can buy them anywhere ebooks are sold.  You can also hit many of the public domain sites and download a seemingly infinite number of free books...classics that have been converted, etc...

It accepts many formats, including PDF, mobi, etc.

I love my Kindle, wouldn't give it up for anything.

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 2:01:43 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a Nook. I liked the interface better than the Kindle.

That said, I have played with the iPad and find it vastly superior. Interestingly, some folks go on and on about how eInk is easier on the eyes than a screen like the iPad, but I disagree. YMMV
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 2:09:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Are many periodicals/magazines becoming available on any of the formats? I receive over 20 subscriptions to automotive,motorcycle,guns,etc but last time I looked it was only the mainstream news magazines mainly and I would love to be able to switch those subscriptions to a digital format.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 2:19:24 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have the nook, and am on my 2nd one after the first one was crushed by an LMTV. So, warrently/customer service is top notch!

The new, lower-price Nook DOES NOT have cell-phone 3G technology, it is WI-FI ONLY!

"first one was crushed by an LMTV"    I'm wondering if customer service was like when you explained that.  Good to know about the great CS.

Yeah, I'm debating if I actually need the 3G or can get by just fine with wi-fi.  If the book selection is to my taste, I'll be getting one or the other once I save the pennies.

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 2:22:55 PM EDT
[#12]
My wife has one of the kindles that they are running a sale on now, the older model. It's really nice, and there are TONS of free books available. It will read .pdf files, so any book you find in that format will work.

Go here for a massive ton of free books that no longer fall under copyright laws. A lot of literary classics are available free.

http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page

ETA:

Over 33,000 free books there.

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 2:32:41 PM EDT
[#13]
I did all the research about a year ago on what to pick up: Kindle, Nook, Sony ereader, and other.  Nook wasn't out then, and I thought I'd get the Nook.  Then I forgot about it.  My brother bought a Nook about a month ago, and I got a chance to play with it.

I looked at all of the available readers again, and chose the Nook.   I'm loving the damn thing.  $150 can't be beat.

I just wish there were more titles available digitally.  First couple of books I went looking for were not available digitally.

Otherwise, I'm real happy with it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 2:37:48 PM EDT
[#14]
I bought my wife a Nook this year, and she loves it. Reads a lot of formats and is easy to use.

B&N, Fictionwise, Baen.com, as long as you can download the right format, lots of titles out there.

I still use my laptop.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 2:42:03 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I kind of prefer that from a security perspective. I dont necessarily want all of my appliances transmitting a cellular signal all of the time.

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 2:45:19 PM EDT
[#16]
I've got the Sony Touch e-reader and like it.  You can turn pages with a swipe of the finger or use the page advance button.  Reads just about every format out there (unlike Kindle) and has a couple of neat extra features.  One thing I like is the built in dictionary.  Tap on a word twice with the stylus or your finger and the definition pops up.  You can also scribble notes in the margin of the book you are reading using the stylus.  A minor downside is the screen is slightly shiny due to the touch screen so sometimes you have to adjust it for glare but it hasn't been a major problem for me.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 2:48:12 PM EDT
[#17]
I have the Sony Touch Reader and I use it every day. I have purchased books from the Sony store front and Baen. I have also used it for work, I go to a lot of meetings where the host sends out the files in .pdf format, I load it on to the Reader and cut down on printing costs and the load of paper that I used to schlep around. I like the fact that it has ports for SD cards as well as Sony's ProDuo sticks. It can play mp3s and render pictures in black and white.

The e-ink thing is cool, but if money were no object I would get an iPad. The lighted screen does not bother me that much and the readers are tough to read without good light.

Mine is also a tethered book for downloads and purchases. No OTA connectivity.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 2:49:13 PM EDT
[#18]
I keep beating myself for not buying a Kindle 2 CDMA Refurb for $110. What a steal!
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 2:49:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I've got the Sony Touch e-reader and like it.  You can turn pages with a swipe of the finger or use the page advance button.  Reads just about every format out there (unlike Kindle) and has a couple of neat extra features.  One thing I like is the built in dictionary.  Tap on a word twice with the stylus or your finger and the definition pops up.  You can also scribble notes in the margin of the book you are reading using the stylus.  A minor downside is the screen is slightly shiny due to the touch screen so sometimes you have to adjust it for glare but it hasn't been a major problem for me.

Can it read Kindle formatted books? I have not been able to find out.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 2:55:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I kind of prefer that from a security perspective. I dont necessarily want all of my appliances transmitting a cellular signal all of the time.

Uh... you can turn the radios off. My wife leaves the radios off (WiFi and 3G) most of the time because they aren't necessary 90% of the time. It improves battery life if you shut them off. She only turns them on when she's looking for something new to read.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 3:11:08 PM EDT
[#21]

As far as I can tell, no.  But, there might be conversion programs that can convert from the Amazon format to PDF or e-pub.

My impression/personal opinion is E-pub will end up being the default standard for e-readers.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 6:37:26 PM EDT
[#22]
bump for night crew.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 6:43:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Its a nice idea, with all the ipad competitors coming to market, i would bet that it wont be long before you can get a tablet device for not much more than the price of a kindle, and have many more capabilities.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 6:46:29 PM EDT
[#24]
I say Kindle all the way.  You can even buy a re-manufactured one for $109 straight from Amazon.  I just picked up one of these after my wife decided that her's should join her in the bathtub and it is great.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 7:15:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 7:31:50 PM EDT
[#26]
I comment here with my Kindle.  
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 7:38:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

As far as I can tell, no.  But, there might be conversion programs that can convert from the Amazon format to PDF or e-pub.

My impression/personal opinion is E-pub will end up being the default standard for e-readers.

Download Calibre, it converts e-books from format to format.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 7:39:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

"first one was crushed by an LMTV"    I'm wondering if customer service was like when you explained that.  Good to know about the great CS.

Yeah, I'm debating if I actually need the 3G or can get by just fine with wi-fi.  If the book selection is to my taste, I'll be getting one or the other once I save the pennies.

I told them it was crushed by a truck, and I got 10 seconds of silence, followed by "sir, did you just say it was crushed by a truck?"
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 7:51:05 PM EDT
[#29]
I've handled both, side-by-side.  I prefer the nook over the kindle.  The interface is better, I think the book prices is better.  And I don't just say that because, ahem, I work in a bookstore.  I happily shop my store's competitors for better deals.  I just like the nook better.

I do NOT like the WIFI only nook.  That thing has been a pain in the ass, from what I hear.  Problems with the WIFI, problems getting it set up, I know lots of people who have returned theirs.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 7:58:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Are books from Amazon in kindle format almost exactly the same price as a hard copy?

Link Posted: 7/23/2010 5:00:25 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Are books from Amazon in kindle format almost exactly the same price as a hard copy?

looking at the store online it looks like most are around $10
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 5:11:39 AM EDT
[#32]
If I can pick up a used Nook on the cheap, I will, but I'm kinda waiting for the NotionInk Adam. More useful than a dedicated E-Book reader, IMO.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 5:16:25 AM EDT
[#33]

I did the research and while I wanted the iPad I had a limited budget.

I got the Nook with wifi only.  $150
Cover $25
Screen Protector $20

Yearly B&N mebership $25

Books dirt cheap for just about anything I want.  Way cheaper than even paperback.  
The B&N mebership gets me discounts on hard and paper books in the store to.

Wifi only works fine for me as I mostly read on airplanes anyway.
I buy about $5000 in books a year and I am thinking this thing will pay for itself in 3 months or less.

Nook had user replaceable battery.  
I have gotten over 12 days of life out of it with 2-4 hours of reading a day and then just leaving it on ALL the time.

Nook is all screen but hard to type on.  Kindle has buttons making it bigger with the same size screen.
Nook accepts more format types but I guess you can convert other type for the Kindle?

Older books from like the 70's 80's 90's are kind of hard to find in E form but No biggy.

I love it.  Just got the NASB Bible for $2.98.
Heck of a lot faster to find a verse with it than a paper version with the pastor jumping from verse to verse while I am still trying to remember the order of books in the Bible.

Tones O' money = iPad
Small budget = Nook

Link Posted: 7/23/2010 5:35:16 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Kindle is probably the "best" reader performance wise (page refresh etc).  But Amazon sucks.

B&N's Nook is a decent reader and probably has the best software interface.  Plus you can add memory, so instead of 1500 books you can carry 5k.  B&N's software also allows "lending".

Sony also has a good reader, but I havent played with one like I have a kindle and a nook.

The memory thing is silly. The practical difference between 1500 and 5000 books aside, anything you order from Amazon can be deleted and re-downloaded free of charge anytime you want to any device you want. The only downside is that you have to manually save periodicals, or they are auto deleted and unrecoverable after a while. I'd like a way to send and archive them to my PC automatically.

The lending feature of the Nook is about as much a gimmick as the Kindles web browser. Yeah, you can do it, but it's not something you'll ever really use.

I chose the Kindle because it has carefree wireless access, I'm already a big Amazon customer and the Kindle has the benefit of being a 2nd generation device.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 5:37:37 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Cover $25

Screen Protector $20

Yearly B&N mebership $25

Books dirt cheap for just about anything I want.  Way cheaper than even paperback.  

I buy about $5000 in books a year and I am thinking this thing will pay for itself in 3 months or less.

I have gotten over 12 days of life out of it with 2-4 hours of reading a day and then just leaving it on ALL the time.

Nook is all screen but hard to type on.  Kindle has buttons making it bigger with the same size screen.

Nook accepts more format types but I guess you can convert other type for the Kindle?

Older books from like the 70's 80's 90's are kind of hard to find in E form but No biggy.

Heck of a lot faster to find a verse with it than a paper version with the pastor jumping from verse to verse while I am still trying to remember the order of books in the Bible.

Tones O' money = iPad

Small budget = Nook

What is the membership for?

Link Posted: 7/23/2010 5:39:41 AM EDT
[#36]
Kobo.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 5:40:29 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Cheaper. The prices aren't always consistent, as publishers are involved, but a NYT bestseller will usually go for 9.99. Some are as high as 15. Most 'in print' books are a little cheaper, 4 to 8 dollars. There are a lot of 'bargain basement' titles for 2-3 dollars, and you can find public domain titles for free.

Of course the $150 for the reader could buy a heck of a lot of books at normal prices, so I'm not convinced that it's a money saving purchase for most casual readers. If you like to read the latest titles, you read a lot of them and you'd buy the hardcovers normally, it could probably pay for its self inside a year.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 5:41:11 AM EDT
[#38]
I read my kindle daily
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 9:28:24 AM EDT
[#39]
I'm going to endorse the nook as well.  I've played with both kindle and nook. It's far superior in my opinion. I don't like the proprietary limitations placed on the kindle. The nook isn't an open platform, but it's better than the kindle.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 11:26:06 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cheaper. The prices aren't always consistent, as publishers are involved, but a NYT bestseller will usually go for 9.99. Some are as high as 15. Most 'in print' books are a little cheaper, 4 to 8 dollars. There are a lot of 'bargain basement' titles for 2-3 dollars, and you can find public domain titles for free.

Of course the $150 for the reader could buy a heck of a lot of books at normal prices, so I'm not convinced that it's a money saving purchase for most casual readers. If you like to read the latest titles, you read a lot of them and you'd buy the hardcovers normally, it could probably pay for its self inside a year.

I think saving money on book purchases is a side benefit not a main reason to buy an e-reader.  I like my Sony because I can carry hundreds/thousands of books when I travel in less space than a single paperback. I like to read classics so for me, getting books for free online beats paying $5-10 for a hard copy.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 11:39:59 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The memory thing is silly. The practical difference between 1500 and 5000 books aside, anything you order from Amazon can be deleted and re-downloaded free of charge anytime you want to any device you want. The only downside is that you have to manually save periodicals, or they are auto deleted and unrecoverable after a while. I'd like a way to send and archive them to my PC automatically.

The lending feature of the Nook is about as much a gimmick as the Kindles web browser. Yeah, you can do it, but it's not something you'll ever really use.

I chose the Kindle because it has carefree wireless access, I'm already a big Amazon customer and the Kindle has the benefit of being a 2nd generation device.

I agree, I was trying to word it in a way to say that, probably should have been more clear.

As long as your account is in good standing with amazon.  You do something odd (for example, returning purchases of defective merchandise) and get your account kicked and everything you have "saved" on the account goes buh-bye.

Link Posted: 7/23/2010 11:53:02 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Cover $25
Screen Protector $20

Yearly B&N mebership $25

Tones O' money = iPad
Small budget = Nook

What is the membership for?  

To buy books from B&N.com you need to pay the yearly membership.
Yeah its like a subscription but you can buy books from a lot of other places instead, like ebooks.com

I also for got to mention the weight savings on carying tons of books around or just carrying the Nook.
I used to carry 2-5 books on flights and my briefcase weighed about 45 lbs.  Now its a lot lighter.

I factored the $25 a yead cost and I still make out like a bandit.

Link Posted: 7/23/2010 12:00:22 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Yeah its like a subscription but you can buy books from a lot of other places instead, like ebooks.com

I also for got to mention the weight savings on carying tons of books around or just carrying the Nook.

I used to carry 2-5 books on flights and my briefcase weighed about 45 lbs.  Now its a lot lighter.

That's crazy, you're paying them to buy stuff from them??  No way.

Link Posted: 7/23/2010 12:03:21 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Quoted:

That's crazy, you're paying them to buy stuff from them??  No way.

Yeah, that's kinda weak.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 12:04:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Tag because I am tempted to pick one up from my GF.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 12:07:08 PM EDT
[#46]
My GF and my mom both have Kindles, and they love them.

I have an iPad. While I occasionally read on it, I prefer a real book.

(Besides, when the Kindle price for a book is $9, and I can buy the hardcover used for $5, it's kind of a no-brainer.)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top