Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/22/2010 5:23:52 AM EDT
My friend wants to buy my AR, how Do I go about shipping it to him?
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 5:25:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 5:25:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Different states?  Use an FFL.  Same state, tell him to pick it up, or meet him half way.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 5:25:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Well first you need to get a box.............
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 5:27:16 AM EDT
[#4]
If in a different state, ship it to his FFL via UPS Ground from one of the UPS hubs. Otherwise, FTF all the way.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 5:29:46 AM EDT
[#5]
You may ship it yourself to his designated FFL via US Postal Service. Include a copy of your Drivers license with the rifle.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 5:32:29 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

If in a different state, ship it to his FFL via UPS Ground from one of the UPS hubs. Otherwise, FTF all the way.

or also USPS, which might be easier than finding a UPS or Fedex hub

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 5:32:37 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Then you cut a hole in the box.

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 5:33:21 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

This.

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 5:38:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Put your junk in the box........
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 5:40:52 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a gun guard hardcase I use during air travel. Could I ship it in that? I was going to leave the padlocks on it and mail him the keys separately.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 5:44:03 AM EDT
[#11]
You can ship a gun you own to an FFL in another state without going through an FFL on your end, correct?
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 6:34:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 7:41:09 AM EDT
[#13]
What I want to ship is my big gun guard hard case with all the AR15 stuff inside.

How best can I do this?
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 7:45:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
What I want to ship is my big gun guard hard case with all the AR15 stuff inside.

How best can I do this?

Do you and your friend live in the same state?  Yes or No

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 7:50:40 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Different states?  Use an FFL.  Same state, tell him to pick it up, or meet him half way.

A fact that is sometimes ignored is that it is technically legal to sell and ship a longgun to someone in the same state. FTF is not a requirement for transfers in state. You would probably want to be careful and have them send you a scan of their DL and send it with adult signature required.

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 7:53:49 AM EDT
[#16]
He doesnt live in the same state.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 7:54:09 AM EDT
[#17]

Originally Posted By ––bullseye––:

Quoted:

A fact that is sometimes ignored is that it is technically legal to sell and ship a firearm to someone in the same state. FTF is not a requirement for transfers in state. You would probably want to be careful and have them send you a scan of their DL and send it with adult signature required.  

Long guns- rifles, shotguns.  Not handguns.

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 7:55:05 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

He needs to find a FFL.  Find out if FFL will accept firearms from individuals.  If so, send it to the FFL.  If no, find an FFL that will send it to his FFL.

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 7:55:25 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Originally Posted By ––bullseye––:

Quoted:

A fact that is sometimes ignored is that it is technically legal to sell and ship a firearm to someone in the same state. FTF is not a requirement for transfers in state. You would probably want to be careful and have them send you a scan of their DL and send it with adult signature required.  

Long guns- rifles, shotguns.  Not handguns.

Correct. I knew that but I didn't type it for some reason.

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 7:56:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Just mail it.  

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 8:00:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Quoted:

He needs to find a FFL.  Find out if FFL will accept firearms from individuals.  If so, send it to the FFL.  If no, find an FFL that will send it to his FFL.

And GSeriesFAL is correct,
Include a copy of your Drivers license with the rifle.
 They're going to need it to log the rifle into their bound book.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 8:05:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Can I send it in the gun guard hardcase? Its part of the sale.

Can I just slap a shipping label on it? I was thinking about leaving the padlocks on it and sending the keys separately
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 8:07:33 AM EDT
[#23]
Also he lives in Texas, if that helps.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 8:08:14 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Also he lives in Texas, if that helps.

Where?

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 8:08:46 AM EDT
[#25]
Do you guys get a copy of the dealers FFL when you ship, just to make sure of who you are shipping to?
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 8:14:09 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Can I just slap a shipping label on it? I was thinking about leaving the padlocks on it and sending the keys separately

i wouldnt

put gun in hard case

make box around hard case

ship to friendly FFL with a copy of your DL and the appropriate insurance amount on the package

declare the firearm to the shipper but do not put any markings on the box.

if you ship just the hardcase, it is screaming "Hey look at me, I am a rifle!!!!" and then its stolen

i wouldnt put locks on.

ETA:

Quoted:

Do you guys get a copy of the dealers FFL when you ship, just to make sure of who you are shipping to?

you are suppose to.  you check their license # against ATF

FFL EZ check or something.   cant remember off the top of my head

its online

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 8:15:12 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Sure you could do that, but I would suggest that you find a box that the hardcase would fit into, that way the UPS or USPS handlers will not be able to easily tell that it is a firearm (you do have to tell them it is a firearm, just don't mark it on the package).  

You have to ship the rifle to an FFL since your buddy is out of state.  Have him find a gunshop or pawnshop with an FFL (pawnshops often charge less the gunshops for transfers) to complete the transfer on his end.  Be sure to include a copy of your DL with the firearm, so the FFL can log it into his bound book.

If you feel like this is too hard for you to do, you could just take the gun and case to a gunshop and ask them to ship it for you.  They will still need a copy of the FFL that the buyer wants it shipped to.  It will most likely cost more than just shipping it yourself.  

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 8:17:04 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

FFL's typically don't provide those to non-licensees.  Instead, you will get the first three and last five digits of his FFL number so you can verify it with ATF FFL EZ-Check
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 8:21:46 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Bad Idea.

I would put the rifle in teh case and then put the case in a box.  Nothing says STEAL ME like a riflecase in the mail
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 8:22:56 AM EDT
[#30]
Its a really big box. Where am I gonna find a box it will ship in? lol
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 8:29:23 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

haven't you ever made a shipping box?

get a few smaller boxes, cut to size, and tape them back together with packaging tape

now you will have a big box

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 8:32:39 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Try a local music store.  The boxes guitars and keyboards come in are long and narrow like a rifle case.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 8:34:54 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Quoted:

get a few smaller boxes, cut to size, and tape them back together with packaging tape

Sounds like a ghetto fix.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 8:42:22 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sounds like a ghetto fix.
ghetto or not, good luck finding a box the exact size you need to ship a rifle case

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 8:49:22 AM EDT
[#35]
Ya Im gonna just put some boxes together I guess.

Thanks guys.

So on my list is to find an FFL near him, see if they will take a package from me. Make Frankstein box. Then how should I go about attacking a copy of my drivers license,. Should I photo copy and tape it on there?
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 8:50:01 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Thanks guys.

So on my list is to find an FFL near him, see if they will take a package from me. Make Frankstein box. Then how should I go about attacking a copy of my drivers license,. Should I photo copy and tape it on there?

I would put it in the locked case.

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 8:53:11 AM EDT
[#37]
I shipped a Springfield SAR-8 and 8 mags in a Pelican case once.

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 8:55:04 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Thanks guys.

Just photo copy it and put in an envelope with a packing list (item packaged and contact info for you and the buyer).  Then tape the envelope to the outside of the rifle case so that the FFL will see it when they take the case out of the box (or you can put the envelope in a ziplock bage and tape it to the outside of the box, some FFLs want the packing list on the outside and will not open the package without the buyer present).

Also I would suggest that you let your friend find the FFL, not you.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 9:03:01 AM EDT
[#39]
Well I meant he finds one. But ya the plastic bag idea sounds best to me.

Im off to find myself some boxes.

Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 9:04:42 AM EDT
[#40]
Also, do I have to mail it priority or express?
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 10:25:08 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

You could get an inexpensive gun case from Walmart.  

Where in Texas?

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 10:27:43 AM EDT
[#42]
UPS said they can make a custom box for 20 bucks. The girl with the braces would not of lied to me. lol

And in Baytown Texas.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 10:27:48 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Put your junk in the box........

LULZ
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 10:40:50 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Also, do I have to mail it priority or express?

You can mail it how ever you want.  There are no requirements, but I would at least get some insurance and maybe delivery confirmation..
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 10:55:17 AM EDT
[#45]
I was going to get both insurance and delivery confirmation on it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top