Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/22/2010 4:55:40 AM EDT
So, I go jogging every morning at 4AM.  The streets are usually empty and seeing someone else out and about is rare.  Every so often I'll run by someone who is walking or jogging also.  I smile and say good morning and I get a .  This has happened on three different occasions.

I realize I am not the most attractive person and being all sweaty probably doesn't help, either.  

If some stranger says hello, good morning, or waves at you, do you acknowledge it?  Does it shock you?
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 4:56:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Down here in Texas it's quite commonplace.  I'll return the greeting in kind.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 4:58:00 AM EDT
[#2]
neither. I expect it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 5:00:33 AM EDT
[#3]
No, but I live in the country...most of the folks and farmers in my area are very courteous.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 5:02:19 AM EDT
[#4]
I love the south and the people who live there!

Up here in yankeeland it is far more common to be completely ignored on the street or worse yet, if you greet someone, they are likely to return the greeting with a heartfelt "FUCK YOU ASSHOLE!"
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 5:03:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Shocked by common courtesy? Yes. Never offended though. I always smile and give the appropriate response.

Usually I get positive but surprised responses from people when I do something nice.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 5:04:07 AM EDT
[#6]
I live out in the sticks.  People here will stop their cars in the road to talk to each other.  I think it's charming.

Jane
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 5:04:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Why be offended, maybe suprised but not offended.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 5:05:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Pretty much expected here in those situations.  And we hold doors for people and even say ma'am to older women most of the time.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 5:08:47 AM EDT
[#9]
The only problem I have ever had was when I held the door open for a lady, and she looked at me and said 'what, you don't think I could get that myself?"

I was so taken aback, I couldn't think of anything to say. It occurred to me later that it must suck to go through life like that.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 5:10:12 AM EDT
[#10]
When I was getting married my soon to be Mother in law came out from LA(as in California) a couple of weeks before the wedding to help out.  We were in Wal-mart one day buying something,just her and I,and after the clerk checked me out I said "Thank you mam,have a nice day"  like I do everytime.  When we got outside my Mother in law said "Look,you can cut out the polite BS,you are marrying my daughter,not running for President"  She really couldn't grasp the fact that we actually talk like that in rural Virginia.

Later when I relayed this to my wife she said that if you acted like that in LA people would think you were crazy and avoid you.  She had to adapt to it too when she came out to go to college at Va. Tech.  TJR
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 5:12:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Most Virginians are pretty courteous (those that aren't transplants) so I don't see it as uncommon.

Like my Dad used to say when driving down country roads and we would meet a vehicle, "always wave back 'cause who's driving might be who you are asking permission to hunt on someday". LOL
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 5:14:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
So, I go jogging every morning at 4AM.  The streets are usually empty and seeing someone else out and about is rare.  Every so often I'll run by someone who is walking or jogging also.  I smile and say good morning and I get a .  This has happened on three different occasions.

I realize I am not the most attractive person and being all sweaty probably doesn't help, either.  

If some stranger says hello, good morning, or waves at you, do you acknowledge it?  Does it shock you?

awww

Id say "howdy"
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 5:15:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Long Island, NY...courtesy? What's that? Hell I was walking my dog this morning and a lady passed right in front of me, I said, "Good Morning" and she just kept on walking. I know she must have heard me because I don't speak softly. Maybe next time I'll just get in her face!
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 5:15:27 AM EDT
[#14]
I always say hello to people on the street while walking or whatever, I always thought that was common
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 5:15:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 5:15:46 AM EDT
[#16]
I will die of a heart attack when a senior citizen actually says "Thank you" when a  door is held open for them.

Most rude, inconsiderate, obnoxious demographic out there.

To answer the OP's question, I do acknowledge people whom are friendly. It's the polite thing to do. Teach my kids that as well.

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 5:16:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Up North our time goes by faster or something, nobody has time to be friendly to each other...

Then again I'd rather have real northern friendliness than fake southern friendliness.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 5:19:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Up North our time goes by faster or something, nobody has time to be friendly to each other...

Then again I'd rather have real northern friendliness than fake southern friendliness.

Southren freindliness is only fake to Yankees

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 5:22:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The only problem I have ever had was when I held the door open for a lady, and she looked at me and said 'what, you don't think I could get that myself?"

I was so taken aback, I couldn't think of anything to say. It occurred to me later that it must suck to go through life like that.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

A useful response––-"I didn't hold the door open because you are a lady, I did it because I am a gentleman."
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 5:24:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I will die of a heart attack when a senior citizen actually says "Thank you" when a  door is held open for them.

Most rude, inconsiderate, obnoxious demographic out there.

To answer the OP's question, I do acknowledge people whom are friendly. It's the polite thing to do. Teach my kids that as well.

Unfortunately, I do see more and more of this while at work...one day a kid who looked about 10 years old held the door as he was leaving, for a rickety looking old couple teetering up the sidewalk.  They never even looked or acknowledged the kid.  I see more examples of piss poor manners from older people than young people.

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 5:25:56 AM EDT
[#21]
Politeness and courtesy are normal here in New Hampshire.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 5:27:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Shocked yes, offended definitely not.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 5:27:44 AM EDT
[#23]
Greetings are fairly common around here, at least among the locals. It's easy to pick out people from, shall we say, "elsewhere", because they look at you like you're crazy.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 5:29:09 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Shock me?

No...

I just look at them and wait for them to say something else so I'm justified in tazing them for making furtive movements.

Sounds like you got lucky.
Maybe  next time.

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 5:29:34 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I am shocked that they said anything.

but i acknowledge most people first and get nothing in return

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 5:30:27 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

You post seems to contradict itself........

Moving here from NW Ohio where I was stuck with my job for five years.......Folks there were OK but when you got from Toledo and into Michigan yankeeland really took over. Manners went right out the window. If you were RO or SO at a match you were out and out verbally abused from time to time. Behavior such as would get you DQ'ed elsewhere.
Texans are normally very polite and courteous.  As were most folks back home until you got deep in the hills where every stranger is "suspicious."
I see nothing fake about southern folk.  You usually get treated as you treat others and know where you stand with them.  

However, we are living in an age that is getting more graceless but the second. 15 minutes in General Discussion will confirm that on any given day.

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 5:30:48 AM EDT
[#27]
It is commonplace back home in N.E. Texas to wave hello at the drivers of oncoming traffic.

Around my current digs, people cannot even be bothered to use their turn signals.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 5:36:38 AM EDT
[#28]
It's strange, but I've noticed that there are some days when virtually everyone I encounter in the course of my daily activities is courteous almost to a fault, and other days when they don't seem to give a damn.

Must be the alignment of the planets.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 5:38:31 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

The sort of attitude you're referencing is one of the reasons I was so eager to get to Texas in the first place.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 5:40:47 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Heck, I thought that was because everybody in Vermont and New Hampshire are ungodly wealthy or gay or both!
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 5:41:40 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Southren freindliness is only fake to Yankees

Living near DC, I have often heard it referred to as "the city of Northern hospitality and Southern efficiency."  It's about right.

It's really difficult to be friendly and positive when everyone around you is bitter.

I try as hard as I can to be friendly but I know I'm not always good at it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 5:43:39 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

This.  And if you're not polite, we can shoot you on principle.  It's Texas federal law.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 5:47:09 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Heck, I thought that was because everybody in Vermont and New Hampshire are ungodly wealthy or gay or both!

Just don't go too far south.  They don't call them Mass-holes for nothing.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 5:47:54 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Up here in yankeeland it is far more common to be completely ignored on the street or worse yet, if you greet someone, they are likely to return the greeting with a heartfelt "FUCK YOU ASSHOLE!"

I live in the south and really love it. You hold the door for a stranger, say "yes please" and "no thank you". The little head nod of understanding. Wave at people you don't know.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 5:51:28 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You post seems to contradict itself........

Time up here is a commodity, when we use our time to be nice to you its usually because we mean it.

Southerners seem to have all the time in the world so faking being nice isn't such a big deal.

Thats just the way it seems to me anyways.

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 5:53:35 AM EDT
[#36]
yesterday at the stop and rob buying a monster and noted an older woman (50-ish) and i entered the "line" together to check out....

when it was our "turn", i said "go ahead miss."  

she peered under her straw hat with dishelved hair... "my name isn't misss!".  as she assumed the next customer status.

i was going to mention something like "bitch", "pad sticky-side up today or what?" or "f-off" but since i know the owner....

did note she paid for a postage stamp with nickels and pennies and rode away on an older man's bike
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 5:53:59 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I live in the south and really love it. You hold the door for a stranger, say "yes please" and "no thank you". The little head nod of understanding. Wave at people you don't know.

Oh lawdy what in heavens name would I ever do without the little head nod of understanding.

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 5:54:18 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The sort of attitude you're referencing is one of the reasons I was so eager to get to Texas in the first place.

No offense to the nice Texans out there, but the ones I met reminded me a bit of New Yorkers. Superior and unfriendly. I lived in Austin and I wasn't too surprised that Austinites were worthless, but even the big dudes in cowboy hats and belt buckles bigger than my head were really aloof and gave me the impression that when the SHTF, I'm just going to be another source of protein.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 5:54:20 AM EDT
[#39]
I return the greeting and am not shocked.  Was raised to be polite and respectful.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 5:55:50 AM EDT
[#40]
I do say it back, but quite frankly, I get fucking SICK of saying hello or good morning or what not to every person that walks by.  You know how many freaking people I see in a day?  Hence, the aforementioned "little head nod of understanding".

That said, it irks the shit out of me when someone passes by and knowingly tries to avoid saying anything.  You know the type.  Sometimes it's hilarious.

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 6:00:19 AM EDT
[#41]
Not offended for sure.  Most of the time when I'm out and about I've got my iPod
in, so I'll just nod and give a breif smile which is usually returned.  

I don't feel the need to get into a conversation with people.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 6:03:32 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No offense to the nice Texans out there, but the ones I met reminded me a bit of New Yorkers. Superior and unfriendly. I lived in Austin and I wasn't too surprised that Austinites were worthless, but even the big dudes in cowboy hats and belt buckles bigger than my head were really aloof and gave me the impression that when the SHTF, I'm just going to be another source of protein.

That is because you weren't in Texas; you were in Austin.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 6:07:09 AM EDT
[#43]
When im in the south, it's not really surprising

When I lived in California, it would have shocked the shit out of me.

When I lived in AZ, I didn't even bother...most of the people I ran into didn't fucking speak english
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 6:07:28 AM EDT
[#44]
I walk the dog at 05:30. There's very little traffic but nearly everyone gives a little wave as they drive by. Some I see every morning, some are just passing thru the neighborhood.

All the walkers/joggers speak.

It's the South.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 6:10:06 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

i think it just proves the point that the majority of country people are courteous and the majority of city dwellers are idiots

ETA:  and the majority of what political identity live in cities?  liberals

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 6:10:29 AM EDT
[#46]
I admire common courtesy and I encourage it as much as I can. Makes me all warm and fuzzy.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 6:15:19 AM EDT
[#47]
Well one thing needs to be said - are we talking about talking to complete strangers or people you already know?  With strangers, not everyone can be bouncy betty in the morning....so why not just nod -  or mouthe "morning" without the full decibal"Good Morning!" which from a sweaty fat guy screams "giving kids candy out of your van."  People I know always get a good morning, smile, handshake, or wet kiss.  (kids and wife that is...)haha.

If your appearance indicates you normally aren't the running type........why engage strangers socially?  What do you expect them to do?  The look on my face normally wards off strangers.  (not intentional ) Here'/s my advice, If you are trying to lose weight focus on your running and less on the social aspect of things.  By your avatar are you in law enforcement?  IF so you should know people are just less trusting nowadays, and justifiably so.  Am I wrong for being respectful but also having a plan to kill everyone I meet, if need be?  
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 6:17:16 AM EDT
[#48]
I'd say I'm more surprised than shocked.

Around here, I find myself being far more courteous to others than any courtesy I receive.

It doesn't dissuade me from continuing to be that way though....it's just the right way to be IMO.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 6:17:19 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I live out in the sticks.  People here will stop their cars in the road to talk to each other.  I think it's charming.

Jane

well hold up a minute Jane - your example was people who already know each other...the OPs description leads me to a scene where a sweat-lathered fat guy is trying to engage in social banter while "jogging."  That's just weird.  (Work with me here I am tongue in cheek with all this..)
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 6:19:02 AM EDT
[#50]
I live in NY.  I've never experienced this whilst home.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top