Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/21/2010 8:28:21 PM EDT
I was on my way to clinicals when I get a text saying that clinicals are canceled so I turn around and head for school. While on the 10 freeway I see a car stopped on the side of the freeway with the guard rail smashed, being that I was a couple hours too early to go to school, I stopped to see if anyone needed help. As soon as I get out of my truck the lady starts screaming that a car went over the guard rail and in to a irrigation cannel, flipping end over end twice. I start running and (not so gracefuly) went down the embankment with the daughter of the lady that was screaming (she said she was an RT) as I got to the car I find a male in his late fortys in a very smashed Lexus, with no pulse and no spontaneous breathing. I sent a spectator to go grab a fire extinguisher from my truck (it wasn't needed).

All the windows where smashed and the drivers door had popped open, I cut his seatbelt and, while the girl held C-spine, lowered his seat (which still worked even though they where electric) and begain CPR. It felt like an hour until fire got on scene (it was only 10 minutes) by the time fire got on scene the victim had a weak pulse and some limited spontaneous breathing, me and the girl stepped back and let the paid professionals do there stuff, they got him out of the car, on a back board and got some large bore IV's in place and then got the guy to the waiting ambulance.

Last i saw he had sinus tachycardia and was intubated and on his way to a local trama center code three.

Lessions learned:
Always have your emergency equipment easly assesable, not locked in a truck tool box.
Remember to GRAB your emergency equipment, even though there was nothing in my emergency equipment except for a CPR mask that would of helped in this case.
a Kershaw blur cuts through seatbelts like butter.
Somethings happen for a reason, if my clinicals weren't canceled this man may have had an even lower chance of survival.

Link Posted: 7/21/2010 8:35:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Good on ya!

As for that guy, he should take to heart my favorite saying; "I'd rather be lucky than smart".

He was very lucky you were there today.

Link Posted: 7/21/2010 8:37:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Good for you!

I'm somewhere in the neighborhood of 0 for 10. Can't save 'em all.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 8:37:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like youre someone's guardian angel.

Good for you!
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 8:37:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Good on 'ya Bud !...
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 8:37:53 PM EDT
[#5]
thank you for properly using your training
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 8:38:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Good job! I tell all my students to keep a CPR mask or barrier on or close at all times for situations like this.

Did you use hands only CPR?
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 8:38:52 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Good on ya!

As for that guy, he should take to heart my favorite saying; "I'd rather be lucky than smart".

yep

any word on how the guy is doing?

Link Posted: 7/21/2010 8:45:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Good job! I tell all my students to keep a CPR mask or barrier on or close at all times for situations like this.

compression only CPR, the newest way the red cross says to do it.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 8:46:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Good on ya!

yep

any word on how the guy is doing?

nope, didn't get his name, never stopped to look.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 8:50:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm a AHA BLS instructor and layperson CPR is going to be that way soon, I'm not so sure I agree but I guess its better than nothing.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 8:52:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Good job.

I'm 0 for 1 on CPR.  

On a brighter note, I'm 1 for 1 on the Heimlich maneuver.  

Link Posted: 7/21/2010 8:56:59 PM EDT
[#12]
0 for 6 on cpr for me. 3 of them I had back before we got to the hospitable. They were gone before I every got the report writen. Good job
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 8:57:10 PM EDT
[#13]
You saved a guys life today.

Link Posted: 7/21/2010 8:58:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Great job!
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 9:03:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
0 for 6 on cpr for me. 3 of them I had back before we got to the hospitable. They were gone before I every got the report writen. Good job

All I know is he had a pulse when they got him in the ambulance, for all I know he could of coded the second they closed the door, but he had a heart beat when I handed him over.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 9:07:13 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I have a friend that is 0 for 20something.  CPR and trauma don't mix well, but there is always a chance.  I hope you do not get discouraged.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 9:10:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Good work, you did a fine job.

I am very thankful that I have not had to make use of BLS yet, either at work or in public.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 9:11:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I have a friend that is 0 for 20something.  CPR and trauma don't mix well, but there is always a chance.  I hope you do not get discouraged.  

I lost count on a ratio about 6 years ago, I know I have 3 that I coded that are still walking around today. But I have snatched thousands form the jaws of mild discomfort.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 9:14:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Quoted:

my on duty record is 0.5 for 14 (pt. is still comatose 8 months later).
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 9:15:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Good for you!

I'm 0 for 1. But, I knew the person I was doing it on was gone. I only did it because the family was there, and I knew I had to do something.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 9:17:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Great story and great job!
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 9:30:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Great job. I'm 1 for 1. I don't wanna break my perfect record.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 11:01:06 PM EDT
[#23]
I am hoping there is something in the local news paper about it tommarow.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 11:49:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Well i am 2 for 2 for CPR off duty. OR maybe there is a higher power.

No, it was just you.  Good job.

Or if you thought there was a high power, he also caused the accident.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 3:32:46 AM EDT
[#25]
Congrats!  A save is the best high there is.

I'm 2 for about 10.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 3:38:20 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 4:19:37 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Good for you!

I'm 1 for 40ish. And that 1 was with a couple others.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 4:34:55 AM EDT
[#28]
I am 0 for 1. July 4th, 1991. The driver of her car had been drinking and turned in front of a truck. She was ejected from the vehicle. I started CPR and a second person that was in nursing came in to assist. The police arrived and the EMTs and all looked and said we were doing it right but they were going to help the others in the car. End result was DOA for the Mom (the one I was doing the CPR on), Daughter that was inthe front seat died, son lived, and driver that was drinking lived.

Lessons learned:
1) People die no matter what you do.
2) You can't change #1.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 4:38:18 AM EDT
[#29]
Did you jack his wallet and look for guns in his car?  

Great job you did there. I guess I need to keep my Kershaw sharpened.  The wife is a CRNA and thankefully has never run across situations like this.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 4:41:53 AM EDT
[#30]
Good on you OP … I'm taking the CPR/AED Course offered by the Red Cross next week, seemed like something that I should do.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 4:50:08 AM EDT
[#31]
Outstanding work, OP. You're the reason that guy is still kicking.

I am 0 for 1 with CPR, but my patient was an IV drug overdose.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 5:30:49 AM EDT
[#32]
Good job!
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 5:41:30 AM EDT
[#33]
I'm 0 for 1. It was a sudden collapse and I got to work immediately. ALS got there in less than 5 minutes. Sadly my dad still died less than 15 minutes later. When I got trained in CPR I know one day that I was going to have to do it on my dad. I don't have any regrets or second thoughts. I know I did what I was trained to do to the best of my ability, and that CPR is only a technique to sustain someone till ALS gets to them.

By the way mouth to mouth sucks, I know carry a barrier and some gloves just for that.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 5:44:19 AM EDT
[#34]
way to go!!
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 5:47:01 AM EDT
[#35]
Way to stand up!
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 6:08:02 AM EDT
[#36]
Well done, sir!

Technical question:

<Always have your emergency equipment easly assesable, not locked in a truck tool box.
Remember to GRAB your emergency equipment, even though there was nothing in my emergency equipment except for a CPR mask that would of helped in this case.>

Do people still need/use CPR masks any more?  I thought the current drill was compressions only, no breathing.  No?
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 6:13:47 AM EDT
[#37]
I wonder how Mr. Anoxia's brain is doing.

Sometimes bringing the body back is not always the best outcome.

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 6:14:28 AM EDT
[#38]
What's your profession?

Don't you carry one of those combo tools that will break a window and cut the belt?

No criticism, just curious.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 6:24:24 AM EDT
[#39]

good job dude  

pic not working

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 8:15:59 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Well done, sir!

Technical question:

<Always have your emergency equipment easly assesable, not locked in a truck tool box.
Remember to GRAB your emergency equipment, even though there was nothing in my emergency equipment except for a CPR mask that would of helped in this case.>

Do people still need/use CPR masks any more?  I thought the current drill was compressions only, no breathing.  No?

It is for lay persons/single rescuer but I feel that 2 person CPR with breathing never hurt.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 8:31:18 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
What's your profession?

Don't you carry one of those combo tools that will break a window and cut the belt?

No criticism, just curious.

I am currently in nursing school and was/am an emt-basic.I don't carry one of those combo tools because it is just one more thing to carry and why carry it when a pocket knife (you do carry a pocket knife, right?) does the same job. as far as breaking windows, its a crap shoot even if you have the "right tools", I have yet to come to an accident that was bad enough to make the doors jam, but didn't break the windows, in the event that I needed to break out the window I could of smashed it with my fire exstingisher.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 8:44:37 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well done, sir!

Technical question:

It is for lay persons/single rescuer but I feel that 2 person CPR with breathing never hurt.

There now pushing for no drugs or advanced airway or even shock until 2 mins of CPR is done. They say statistically patients do better. The theroy is by keeping the heart clear of the free radicals produced by shock allows for or healthier heart when defiberlated.

For the OP- good on you for a trauma arrest. They usually don't come back. Our protocols call for opening airway- if no spontainious breaths or pulse, then no start to procedures. Wonder if the guy lived. Just speculation, the times we haved had successfull trauma saves usually from a medical condition causing the accident in the first place. Where are you at nursing school?
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 8:51:52 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, why did they change that? I'd like to know. It doesn't seem like the compressions would work the diaphram enough for decent oxygen flow.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 8:52:09 AM EDT
[#44]

I'm 0/1 with CPR and I'm not even a first responder or anything.  Actually, I guess I'm 0-0-1 because I kept the elderly lady alive for 15 minutes or so until the paramedics got there.  She died en route I was told.  She stroked out or something at one my old workplaces.  We had used the AED and everything and I just kept pumping.

15 minutes of CPR is a hell of a workout.

-p.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 8:58:32 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

I was on my way to clinicals when I get a text saying that clinicals are canceled so I turn around and head for school. While on the 10 freeway I see a car stopped on the side of the freeway with the guard rail smashed, being that I was a couple hours too early to go to school, I stopped to see if anyone needed help. As soon as I get out of my truck the lady starts screaming that a car went over the guard rail and in to a irrigation cannel, flipping end over end twice. I start running and (not so gracefuly) went down the embankment with the daughter of the lady that was screaming (she said she was an RT) as I got to the car I find a male in his late fortys in a very smashed Lexus, with no pulse and no spontaneous breathing. I sent a spectator to go grab a fire extinguisher from my truck (it wasn't needed).

All the windows where smashed and the drivers door had popped open, I cut his seatbelt and, while the girl held C-spine, lowered his seat (which still worked even though they where electric) and begain CPR. It felt like an hour until fire got on scene (it was only 10 minutes) by the time fire got on scene the victim had a weak pulse and some limited spontaneous breathing, me and the girl stepped back and let the paid professionals do there stuff, they got him out of the car, on a back board and got some large bore IV's in place and then got the guy to the waiting ambulance.

Last i saw he had sinus tachycardia and was intubated and on his way to a local trama center code three.

Lessions learned:

Always have your emergency equipment easly assesable, not locked in a truck tool box.

Remember to GRAB your emergency equipment, even though there was nothing in my emergency equipment except for a CPR mask that would of helped in this case.

a Kershaw blur cuts through seatbelts like butter.

Somethings happen for a reason, if my clinicals weren't canceled this man may have had an even lower chance of survival.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/paraframe/crash.jpg

Correlation and causation, learn the difference.

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 9:01:15 AM EDT
[#46]
Outstanding !

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 9:06:27 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, why did they change that? I'd like to know. It doesn't seem like the compressions would work the diaphram enough for decent oxygen flow.

AHA says that more laypeople are willing to do hands only than CPR with rescue breathing and if that will get more to engage in CPR it is worth teaching. I still think standard 30:2 is best but do what you have to do.

Edit: American Heart Association still teaches 30:2 for single layperson CPR but we heard we will be teaching hands only in the near future.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 9:09:33 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Well i am 2 for 2 for CPR off duty. OR maybe there is a higher power.

No, it was just you.  Good job.

Or if you thought there was a high power, he also caused the accident.

away we go.

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 9:11:11 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

AHA says that more laypeople are willing to do hands only than CPR with rescue breathing and if that will get more to engage in CPR it is worth teaching. I still think standard 30:2 is best but do what you have to do.

Actually that is only part of it. They also found out that Healthcare professionals will not do mouth to mouth with out a barrier. They also found Negligible difference in save rates of Mouth-mouth w/ comp. and comp. only CPR. Comp. only works just as well.

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 9:12:18 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well done, sir!

Technical question:

There now pushing for no drugs or advanced airway or even shock until 2 mins of CPR is done. They say statistically patients do better. The theroy is by keeping the heart clear of the free radicals produced by shock allows for or healthier heart when defiberlated.

For the OP- good on you for a trauma arrest. They usually don't come back. Our protocols call for opening airway- if no spontainious breaths or pulse, then no start to procedures. Wonder if the guy lived. Just speculation, the times we haved had successfull trauma saves usually from a medical condition causing the accident in the first place. Where are you at nursing school?

really?
That is what I am guessing happened, his car was pretty smashed up but I have seen people walk away from much worst.
I really wish I got his name at least, nothing in the news paper today.
I am going to concorde in SB to become an LVN/LPN, I am in my last term and graduate Sep. 14.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top