Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/21/2010 7:53:46 PM EDT

NORTH MIDDLETON TOWNSHIP, CUMBERLAND COUNTY - Police in Cumberland County are investigating a homicide on State Game Lands.

Cumberland County District Attorney David Freed is calling the person responsible for this killing "armed and dangerous," and he is urging people who use the game lands to be cautious.

Freed said a person vacationing in the State Game Lands reported this killing around 2 o'clock Wednesday afternoon when they found the body of the victim on a shooting range.

The victim was shot multiple times, Freed said.

He said he believes the victim came to the area for target shooting.

Authorities are not releasing a name, gender or age for the victim.

They say they found the victim at the top of the shooting range.

The victim's vehicle was left in a nearby parking area.

Freed also said there was another crime on this rifle range earlier this month when a gun was stolen.

"Anybody who is going out to a gun range needs to take extra care cause we at least know that there's somebody out there who was willing to steal a gun, and apparently somebody out there who was willing to shoot somebody today," Freed said.

"Whether those acts are related, i can't say, but it certainly is reason to take extra care," he added.

The district attorney said it is possible we could learn the identity of the victim by Thursday morning.

He said the county's crime investigation team plans on staying on scene until late Wednesday evening.

An autopsy on the body is scheduled for Thursday morning in Allentown.

UPDATE: Police have released the name of the victim as Todd Getgen, of Enola.

Copyright © 2010, WPMT-TV

Link Posted: 7/21/2010 7:58:24 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm always a little nervouse when i go to the range by myself. I always have my handgun on me and if possible carry a rifle down range when i set up targets.  I prefer to have a buddy there to watch the line & gear while i go down range though.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 8:03:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I'm always a little nervouse when i go to the range by myself. I always have my handgun on me and if possible carry a rifle down range when i set up targets.  I prefer to have a buddy there to watch the line & gear while i go down range though.

I've started taking my rifle down range with me. I know if I was going to steal a gun I would get it at a range when people go down to check their targets.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 8:08:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 8:09:47 PM EDT
[#4]

Platt & Matix

On 5 October 1985, Platt and Matix murdered 25 year-old Emelio Briel while he was target shooting at a rock pit. The pair stole Briel's car and used it to commit several robberies. Briel's remains were found on 1 March 1986 but were not positively identified until May 1986.

and

On 12 March 1986, Platt and Matix robbed and shot Jose Collazo while Collazo was target shooting at a rock pit. The pair left Collazo for dead and stole his car, a black 1979 Chevrolet Monte Carlo. Collazo survived the shooting and walked three miles to get help.[6]

On 19 March 1986, the pair used the car to rob the Barnett Bank at 13595 South Dixie Highway.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 8:12:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I do too, at least when I'm alone or there is only one other person.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 8:14:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Things like this make me even more glad that I belong to a private club.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 8:16:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Yeah, there used to be times just out of high school I'd go out shooting squirrels for a few hours on end.   You'd come across tweakers who were out scavenging for shit and they ALWAYS wanted to come up and talk to you.   Never left the truck unattended nor had my sidearm far from me, I might shoot my rifle dry but I didn't shoot my handgun.  

You can run into some real strange guys out in the middle of nowhere and definitely pays to not take your eyes off of them.   It's one of the reasons I refuse to go shooting alone whenever possible now.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 8:18:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Recently on vacation in the North Country of the Adirondacks in upstate NY with my in laws for a week (wife still owes me big time), my MIL kind of looked at me funny when I said I was glad I had my P226 on my hip when I went down range and some strange looking dude showed up at the remote range that I was at all alone.

She said, "Why would you be afraid of this new guy?"

I related that I wasn't scared per se, so much as I was just being cautious and doing by the old Gipper's saying: Trust but verify. I also informed her of how Platt and Matix murdered that guy in FL and used his guns for the Miami shootout, etc.  

To her credit she apologized and thanked me for being safe because she likes me and likes the kids that my wife and I make...
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 8:46:36 PM EDT
[#9]
I shoot at a private range and can lock the gate behind me if I want too.  Usually I leave it unlocked however, in case an ambulance would ever need to get up to the range in a hurry.

Here is what I do as I shoot alone at times:

- I only get out of the trunk the gun that I am shooting at the moment if I am shooting multiple guns in a given session. The rest stay out of sight.

- The gun I am shooting is immediately loaded upon leaving the car and on my person (slung if it is a rifle) and taken to and from checking / hanging targets.

- A loaded gun is always concealed on my person, so if what I am shooting runs dry, I am never without a loaded gun.

- Have a plan.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 8:54:13 PM EDT
[#10]
and I thought I was the only one that carried concealed at the range as the RO and as someone just shooting. My club has a cold range policy, but I assume that does not apply to CCW.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 5:32:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Being unarmed at a target range is just plain silly.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top