Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/21/2010 4:48:06 PM EDT
I have to admit, I'm embarrassed to even post this.  I have been legally able to carry for years now, but never got my license.  I have been back in a free state now for almost a year, so yesterday I made my way over to the county court house and put in my paperwork.  I should have my card in the mail next Tuesday.

Now I need advice from the experienced members.  I have read all about my states laws, and reciprocity issues.  I'm fine with that info.  I need to know about what works for holsters.  I only have range holsters and need to stock up on carry holsters.  

The guns;
S&W 442- I am thinking something simple for pocket carry like the Desantis Nemesis.  Is there a better choice?

CZ P07 duty- nobody makes a factory carry holster for this gun.  On the CZ forum I saw someone talking about highnoon holsters (highnoonholsters.com).  They make a few options for IWB to fit the gun.  Does anyone have experience with the company?

1911's- Specifically, I am building up my cheapest, the SA GI champion, with better sights and want to carry it.  I have read most threads on here about the best holsters for the 1911 and a lot of people like the MTAC.  My problem is, will this fit my 4 inch champion?

Feel free to add in any general items I should know before I start to carry, specifically, things you wished you knew when you first started to carry.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 4:51:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Tag, cause this is relevent to my interests.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 4:52:47 PM EDT
[#2]
I can only comment on one carry holster because it is all I have ever used. The Crossbreed Supertuck is PERFECT with my G23.  I will likely never try another holster after carrying the Supertuck.  You honestly forget that it is even there but it is very secure.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 5:06:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I would recommend something with a thumb break or some other retention system. If you get into a fist fight or some other form of altercation you want your pistol to stay where it is and not flung onto the ground or in another persons hand. I place weapon retention high on holster choices. I have this DeSantis for my XD http://www.desantisholster.com/storefrontB2CWEB/itemdetail.do?action=prepare_detail&itm_id=7769&itm_index=0 Also I find OWB holsters to be way more comfortable than IWB. Because of this I don't have to buy all new pants and shorts.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 5:12:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I can only comment on one carry holster because it is all I have ever used. The Crossbreed Supertuck is PERFECT with my G23.  I will likely never try another holster after carrying the Supertuck.  You honestly forget that it is even there but it is very secure.

I had forgot about the super truck.  A lot of people have said what you have about them.  I may go that way over the MTAC.

Link Posted: 7/21/2010 5:17:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Sell those guns,   get a Glock 19 and a Bladetech IWB,  sprend whats leftover on some quality training.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 5:18:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 5:19:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Sell those guns,   get a Glock 19 and a Bladetech IWB,  sprend whats leftover on some quality training.

Sorry fan boy, won't work for me.  I like to practice with reloads.  Please don't derail my thread.

Link Posted: 7/21/2010 5:19:41 PM EDT
[#8]
High Noon is GTG.

for IWB on a pistol that has a few inches of barrel (no the snubby or a 3" .45) I also like the MacDaniel II design. I use one of these to carry a 5" .45 and love it. It is similar to the discontinued Galco NSA I use for a 4" .45

http://www.andrewsleather.com/macdaniel2.htm

There's another company that Oleg has worked with that makes a fair clone for less $$$. I need to find them again...

Here it is.. the Tuck Snap from http://sideguardholsters.com/holsters/IWB_Holsters.htm

Link Posted: 7/21/2010 5:21:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
What about pants size when you wear IWB? I've got a SmartCarry, but was thinking of transitioning to OWB with untucked shirts. Then I'm thinking that OWB might print too much, and I should go IWB but I'm worried that it would be uncomfortable unless I buy larger pants.

Part of the reason I am looking for IWB is because I dropped 15 lbs with a new running program.  I have the room to spare in all my pants.  I have always heard one size bigger waste than your normal size as a rule of thumb.

Link Posted: 7/21/2010 5:21:58 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry fan boy, won't work for me.  I like to practice with reloads.  Please don't derail my thread.

Darn - you beat me to it. I was going to remind him that this was not a koolaid thread. ;-)

Link Posted: 7/21/2010 5:22:58 PM EDT
[#11]
I've got a HK USPc 9mm in a Crossbreed Supertuck.  After I broke it in I would sometimes forget i was wearing it.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 5:24:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Additional question:

Do you prefer clips or loops?
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 5:26:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 5:30:17 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm using an MTAC and I love it.   I carry a G19 and I can carry wearing cargo shorts and a t-shirt and it disappears.   My wife and family don't even notice it.   I use the standard clips, they work fine for me with the belt from Comp Tac.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 5:37:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
What about pants size when you wear IWB? I've got a SmartCarry, but was thinking of transitioning to OWB with untucked shirts. Then I'm thinking that OWB might print too much, and I should go IWB but I'm worried that it would be uncomfortable unless I buy larger pants.

Part of the reason I am looking for IWB is because I dropped 15 lbs with a new running program.  I have the room to spare in all my pants.  I have always heard one size bigger waste than your normal size as a rule of thumb.

So I'm looking at a new wardrobe?

I would actually wear a 35" waist if they were readily available in most brands of clothing.  I can wear a 34 but they are a bit snug.  I wear a 36 and they are a bit loose but not "bust a sag loose" by any means, more of a comfortably loose.  I would choose a 36 even if I didn't carry.  My G23 and Supertuck fit great in the 36.  

As long as your pants are not really tight, your carry gun will fit unless you're trying to IWB a Desert Eagle or something similar...just my experience.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 5:42:25 PM EDT
[#16]
There is a CCW forum here to ask just such questions.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 5:44:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Whatever you carry get yourself some solid training.....

Link Posted: 7/21/2010 5:44:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Your pants will stretch. I thought I lost weight the first time I wore my jeans without my holstered G19. You don't need a larger size. I don't know how that +1 size thing got started.

Oh, and OP- I've used both a Comp-Tac Minotaur and a Milt Sparks Summer Carry. I like the Comp-Tac/Crossbreed style because of the surface area of the leather. It distributes the weight better(the rough-out "grabs" your upper thigh), and takes some strain out of the belt. You still need a good belt though. I like the Galco nylon instructor's belt. You can almost hold it straight out without it drooping, and it has hook-and-loop so the buckle can't loose tension.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 5:46:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I'm using an MTAC and I love it.   I carry a G19 and I can carry wearing cargo shorts and a t-shirt and it disappears.   My wife and family don't even notice it.   I use the standard clips, they work fine for me with the belt from Comp Tac.

I'm very pleased with mine as well.  Just make sure to get a good belt as well.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 5:47:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Supertuck.
And I went up a size ("two" sizes in jeans) in all my pants and shorts to have room for the holster.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 5:48:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That advice I will take.  

Link Posted: 7/21/2010 5:50:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Get in touch with comp-tac. They will go out of their way to make you happy.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 5:55:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just use jacketed ammo for the G . I am a huge fan of the Raven Concealment Systems Phantom Modular holsters. I have converted a few of my team members to it.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 5:55:19 PM EDT
[#24]
I can't help on the wheel gun, the CZ or the 1911 for CC but I can second the MTAC for use with the P226, P229 & M&P9c.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 6:04:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Get in touch with comp-tac. They will go out of their way to make you happy.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Meh.....maybe I caught them during a bad time............I heard such great things about the CTAC that I got one and put my Bladetech IWB on the shelf,   one of the clips broke/cracked withen a month of daily carry.   Sent a handful of emails to them about getting a replacment clip.....never heard a word.   It sits on a shelf now and only sees the light of day when someone asks me about CCW holsters....  

The rubber straps on the Bladetech IWB have suited me well for daily carry w/o any issues.

YMMV.....
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 8:02:12 PM EDT
[#26]
bump for any night time wisdom
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 8:09:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Crossbreed Supertuck Deluxe.

Spend the extra $15 for the horsehide option...resists moisture better.

I've got one for my SIG P228 and another one for my XD45 Compact.

Most comfortble IWB holsters I've ever tried/owned...

Turn around time is about 4 weeks these days.

Link Posted: 7/21/2010 8:15:50 PM EDT
[#28]
I have a Supertuck and I love it, but I don't know about compatibility with the 442 or P07.  I'm sure that they have one for a 4" 1911.

You need a good belt.  I recommend Crossbreed's belt also. I don't think you'll find a better one for the price.

There are a lot of things that will change when you start carrying... it really requires a different mindset.  Get training that deals not only with the mechanics of using your handgun, but all the other issues that are involved.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 8:17:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I have to admit, I'm embarrassed to even post this.  I have been legally able to carry for years now, but never got my license.  I have been back in a free state now for almost a year, so yesterday I made my way over to the county court house and put in my paperwork.  I should have my card in the mail next Tuesday.

Now I need advice from the experienced members.  I have read all about my states laws, and reciprocity issues.  I'm fine with that info.  I need to know about what works for holsters.  I only have range holsters and need to stock up on carry holsters.  

The guns;
S&W 442- I am thinking something simple for pocket carry like the Desantis Nemesis.  Is there a better choice?

CZ P07 duty- nobody makes a factory carry holster for this gun.  On the CZ forum I saw someone talking about highnoon holsters (highnoonholsters.com).  They make a few options for IWB to fit the gun.  Does anyone have experience with the company?

1911's- Specifically, I am building up my cheapest, the SA GI champion, with better sights and want to carry it.  I have read most threads on here about the best holsters for the 1911 and a lot of people like the MTAC.  My problem is, will this fit my 4 inch champion?

Feel free to add in any general items I should know before I start to carry, specifically, things you wished you knew when you first started to carry.

I carry a CZ SP-01 in a High Noon OWB holster. It carries the heavy pistol well. Their products are good to go.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top