Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/21/2010 2:35:29 PM EDT
This is the second case of a young lady disappearing from home in Southern California in the last few months. The first one turned up in Merced, up north, unharmed, with some puzzling questions. Unfortunately, there was no happy family reunion for this case. Police found a body yesterday afternoon not far from where the girl disappeared. ID and autopsy was this morning, press conference was at 1400.

This case has struck me on somewhat of a personal level: I know the high school this girl was a student at (my ex-gf went there), and my wife and I are expecting a little girl, and I'm realizing that there's no way I can protect her 24/7.

Parents, please teach your daughters situational awareness, defense tactics, avoid shortcuts, and to travel in groups.

Police Confirm Body is Missing Teen Norma Lopez

MORENO VALLEY –– Authorities have confirmed that a decomposed body found in the desert is 17-year-old girl Norma Lopez.

Sheriff's spokesman Joseph Borja said Wednesday they identified the body of Norma Lopez through dental records.

The body was found in a thicket of trees near Theodore St. and Dracaea Ave. by a resident who immediately called police.

Lopez vanished Thursday while walking home from a summer school class at Valley View High School.

Detectives say Lopez was expected to meet her younger sister and a friend at the girls' home in the 27000 block of Cottonwood Avenue.

Family members told police Norma usually walked home from school south on Nason Street to Dracaea Avenue and then took a shortcut through a field south to Cottonwood.

When she did not arrive, her family searched for her for two hours, according to Borja.

Items belonging to Lopez were found in a field near her home and there also were signs of a possible struggle.

Authorities did not want to reveal the contents of those belongings, citing the ongoing investigation.

A newer model green-colored SUV was seen in the area of Norma's disappearance.

Borja said the SUV was not considered a suspect vehicle, but they wanted to interview the driver in hopes of learning additional information about the circumstances of Norma's disappearance.

That vehicle has still not been identified.

Anyone with information in the case is asked to call the Moreno Valley Police Hotline at 1-877-242-4345.
Copyright © 2010, KTLA-TV, Los Angeles

Yeah, the family is Hispanic. Yes, the parents speak only Spanish. Yes, they're probably here illegally. Still, nobody deserves this.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 2:36:12 PM EDT
[#1]
IN before the knuckle draggers.

Sucks.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 2:47:28 PM EDT
[#2]

Link Posted: 7/21/2010 2:55:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Prayers for her family. And that that they catch the sicko(s) that did this.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 2:57:31 PM EDT
[#4]
My In-laws live in Mo Valley. I just thought of how many times my wife probably took that same short cut on her way home from that school.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 2:58:07 PM EDT
[#5]

Lots of bad things happen every day.  Sad.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 3:03:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Sad alright.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 3:06:42 PM EDT
[#7]

damn

i remember drsalee's thread about a girl he knew that was kidnapped and murdered in southern california

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top