Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/21/2010 12:49:34 PM EDT

We have a garden that gets LOTS of honeybee traffic all year round.
Usually at least a dozen or more bees always present there and always coming and going and they all take the same path into and out of the garden.
Generally the path they take is a pretty narrow "approach & departure pattern" maybe 10 ft wide by about 5 ft high all the way from the garden to over our trees and out of the yard. All the bees follow that path.
But over the months I've noticed that the path they take in and out (presumably from their hive and back) has shifted.
I think it might have to do with the height or angle of the sun changing with the seasons , but it doesn't matter if it's morning, high noon or approaching sunset. The bees follow the same path regardless of the time of day. But the path DOES change with the seasons.
Here's the MS Paint explanation.

The yard walls are brown lines, orange patch is the garden, green are the trees and blue is the pool.

Link Posted: 7/21/2010 12:52:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Just tryin' to keep the sun out of their eyes
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 1:03:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Man, you need to teach more summer school.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 1:14:50 PM EDT
[#3]

Honey Bees use the Sun for navigation...So as the Sun's position in the sky changes so does their flight path...

Link Posted: 7/21/2010 1:42:38 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Honey Bees use the Sun for navigation...So as the Sun's position in the sky changes so does their flight path...

But the sun's position changes drastically from morning to noon to sunset, but the bee path doesn't change with the time of day - but rather with the change of seasons.

Link Posted: 7/21/2010 1:49:49 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Quoted:

But the sun's position changes drastically from morning to noon to sunset, but the bee path doesn't change with the time of day - but rather with the change of seasons.

The height of the sun above the horizon changes with the seasons.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 1:50:39 PM EDT
[#6]
ThreadJack:  I didn't know that mosquitoes pollinate, but they do.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 2:39:09 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The height of the sun above the horizon changes with the seasons.

I know that - I just didn't think it was more influential on their flightpath than the position of the sun as it changes throughout the day.

That change from sunrise to noon to sunset is a LOT more than the subtle angle change from spring to summer.

Link Posted: 7/21/2010 3:33:00 PM EDT
[#8]
I'd say it's more likely that the place they stop before your yard varies with the calendar (and what is blooming)

I think they're pretty much a waypoint-to-waypoint system
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top