Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/21/2010 11:44:07 AM EDT
So I'm 19, and a few days ago i received this big fancy envelope from the NRA for a contest where you can win up to 21 guns that you pick from a list, most of which i am not interested in, but even if i didn't want any of them, if i won them, i could sell them and buy stuff that i DO want. and so i spent about 10 minutes of my life reading the included materials, including one of their long and  dramatic letters about the currant political situation, which only serve to make me depressed and angry, as a painful reminder of the sad truth which i already know, how we have evil control-freak assholes in government, who want to make life as effing miserable as humanly possible.

Now to the point, after wasting about 10 irreclaimable minutes of my life reading all this, and even thinking about which guns i might chose from the list, i read that you have to be 21 to enter this contest, &*(&^@$#>?>:?>?":{:{:{@^*^*&%}((*%^^&#$???&#$@#$@#$*(^!!!!!! - This is flat-out effing ridiculous! i could understand having to be 21 to accept any of the handguns offered in the contest due to federal law, but there were more than enough long guns to choose from, which are completely legal for me (again, I'm 19) to buy/own. there is no good reason, and no excuse for this >21 to enter bull$#17. So after they get my hopes up and waste my time, i am hit so hard between my eyes with this 2x4 covered with slimy snake$#17, that i felt like letting loose with a McUZI style rant.

Now, throughout my life I've almost always had bad luck, and also learned to assume anything that seems good, is to good to be true, but i could NEVER have imagined this abomination, not only because i can't even enter the contest, but because it is personally offensive and here is why; As most of you would expect, seeing as I'm 19, most of my life thus far I've been a little kid, or at least treated as such, especially since i was the youngest in my family. all my life i was constantly being told i couldn't do/have this or that, because "you're not old enough." usually without any explanation why, sometimes it was a matter of legality, but often there was no valid reason whatsoever. I was always shooed away while everyone else got to do things i couldn't. I always felt like everyone else was elite, and i was the runt with no freedom. the impression i got about everything in life was something to the effect of "F*** you young person, WE'RE elite, YOU can't have (or do) this and WE can because we're older." Well now that I'm legally an adult, i figured that would be the end of that, and i would never have to be talked down to like that again, and then BAM there it is is again right in my face! and from the NRA! the exact same "F*** you young person, you can't have this", kind of message, even though I'm old enough i legally can! F***!

What adds to the insult, is that earlier this year, a payed nearly a months worth of my meager spending money to renew my NRA membership,(when i can hardly ever afford to shoot.) solely because i wanted to support their cause of fighting anti-gun legislation, in the hard times at hand, but i have lost MUCH confidence that my money is being put to good use, and i have lost a lot of respect for this organization. i would like to know, really, how much that big, shiny color printed envelope, with shiny color printed contents and even stickers, costs, not to mention postage for such a fat envelope. I really feel like they're squandering the money i gave them, and not only that, but this package is for a contest i can't even enter. It would be bad enough if they were to have a contest like this, but they did not need to present it so extravagantly, and since they know my age, they should not have wasted the hard-earned money i gave them sending me one.

Even apart from what they've done that so horribly offended me, they've still proven that they do NOT put the money i gave them to good use, and outright squander it. I doubt that but a small percentage of the money actually was used to fund political actions to protect our right to keep and bear arms, which is the sole reason i payed $35 to them for a membership. As i have been very deeply and personally offended by this crap, and disappointed by their misuse of the money, and the fact that i have a $10/week budget, i don't think I'll be renewing my membership with them when my current one expires. Although i like getting the american rifleman magazine, it's not worth it, and not the reason why i payed for a membership, rather it was just a bonus to me. I still have  the "build your own gun collection" contest package, and am currently debating whether to burn it, of if it has already wasted enough of my life and i should just throw it away.

I hate my life.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 11:50:03 AM EDT
[#1]
But if you peel off the special sticker and attach it to box 13 along with a check for $500, you can help fight space herpes!!
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 11:53:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Go sit in the corner, you're on time out.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 11:55:01 AM EDT
[#3]
The letter, envelope, stickers, and postage probably cost about $1.25.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 11:57:47 AM EDT
[#4]
I think they've been running that contest for years and I've never seen a winner announced.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 11:57:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Take the money you were going to send to the NRA, buy yourself a Team Membership and rejoice.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 12:03:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Yep, right on time for the Wednesday NRA bash thread.    
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 12:07:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Well I hate to depress you more, but since it took so much of your allowance to pay for your membership, you would be even more depressed if you won.

You see, there is this thing called taxes.  It is collected by the IRS.  Your winnings (assuming you won the guns from the NRA contest) would be considered income and you would be responsible for the applicable taxes.  So as far as the long history of bad luck the 19 years of your life, you would have the bad luck of not being able to afford the taxes if you won!

By the way, when does school start.

Also try this, live another 20 years or so, have a family (one in college), a mortgage, the usual bills, braces on the other kids teeth, maybe a car payment for the soccer mom van, and loose your job due to the economy.  Then spend two years trying to find a job in your career field or another job that pays $60,000 annually (what your standard of living is based on).  Consume all your savings paying the mortgage and bills during that two years, and still see no hope of finding reasonable employment.  Oh yeah, then have people your age criticize you for being a "welfare bum" for collecting unemployment insurance instead of just taking that job for minimum wage at a fast food place that won't even come close to meeting your monthly expenses. Knowing you will probably not be able to take the day off to go to a job interview if you are lucky to make the cut of the hundreds of applications... without getting fired for missing a days work!  Then having to list that job on your resume stating you were fired, putting your next resume in the trash when the next job you apply for see you were fired!  

Then, maybe then, you have something more depressing than not being old enough to enter a NRA contest!

Link Posted: 7/21/2010 12:07:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

read the first 5 lines of the OP, looked over at the info and said fuck it

not worth my time  
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 12:10:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Take it to court that restrictions on gun/ammo buying for under 21 is unconstitutional. Which it IS by the way.

Oh and 10/10 for the rant.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 12:11:22 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I hate my life.

Young lad, you should probably begin seeking treatments now.

If this bothers you so deeply, you may not even make it to next year, much less to see 21.

Link Posted: 7/21/2010 12:13:51 PM EDT
[#11]
after wasting about 10 irreclaimable minutes of my life reading all this,.............

And an hour typing your post..........

You're still ineligible.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 12:16:04 PM EDT
[#12]
My advice:

Lighten up, Francis.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 12:16:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I think they've been running that contest for years and I've never seen a winner announced.

Same here.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 12:16:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Well I hate to depress you more, but since it took so much of your allowance to pay for your membership, you would be even more depressed if you won.

You see, there is this thing called taxes.  It is collected by the IRS.  Your winnings (assuming you won the guns from the NRA contest) would be considered income and you would be responsible for the applicable taxes.  So as far as the long history of bad luck the 19 years of your life, you would have the bad luck of not being able to afford the taxes if you won!

By the way, when does school start.

Also try this, live another 20 years or so, have a family (one in college), a mortgage, the usual bills, braces on the other kids teeth, maybe a car payment for the soccer mom van, and loose your job due to the economy.  Then spend two years trying to find a job in your career field or another job that pays $60,000 annually (what your standard of living is based on).  Consume all your savings paying the mortgage and bills during that two years, and still see no hope of finding reasonable employment.  Oh yeah, then have people your age criticize you for being a "welfare bum" for collecting unemployment insurance instead of just taking that job for minimum wage at a fast food place that won't even come close to meeting your monthly expenses. Knowing you will probably not be able to take the day off to go to a job interview if you are lucky to make the cut of the hundreds of applications... without getting fired for missing a days work!  Then having to list that job on your resume stating you were fired, putting your next resume in the trash when the next job you apply for see you were fired!  

Then, maybe then, you have something more depressing than not being old enough to enter a NRA contest!

I feel better about my life now
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 12:32:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 6:15:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Take the money you were going to send to the NRA, buy yourself a Team Membership and rejoice.

Now there's an idea!
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 6:16:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I wasn't aware of this, is this another arfcom trend?
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 6:17:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Take it to court that restrictions on gun/ammo buying for under 21 is unconstitutional. Which it IS by the way.

Oh and 10/10 for the rant.

Glad somebody else out there agrees with me.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 7:22:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
So I'm 19, and a few days ago i received this big fancy envelope from the NRA for a contest where you can win up to 21 guns that you pick from a list, most of which i am not interested in, but even if i didn't want any of them, if i won them, i could sell them and buy stuff that i DO want. and so i spent about 10 minutes of my life reading the included materials, including one of their long and  dramatic letters about the currant political situation, which only serve to make me depressed and angry, as a painful reminder of the sad truth which i already know, how we have evil control-freak assholes in government, who want to make life as effing miserable as humanly possible.

Now to the point, after wasting about 10 irreclaimable minutes of my life reading all this, and even thinking about which guns i might chose from the list, i read that you have to be 21 to enter this contest, &*(&^@$#>?>:?>?":{:{:{@^*^*&%}((*%^^&#$???&#$@#$@#$*(^!!!!!! - This is flat-out effing ridiculous! i could understand having to be 21 to accept any of the handguns offered in the contest due to federal law, but there were more than enough long guns to choose from, which are completely legal for me (again, I'm 19) to buy/own. there is no good reason, and no excuse for this >21 to enter bull$#17. So after they get my hopes up and waste my time, i am hit so hard between my eyes with this 2x4 covered with slimy snake$#17, that i felt like letting loose with a McUZI style rant.

Now, throughout my life I've almost always had bad luck, and also learned to assume anything that seems good, is to good to be true, but i could NEVER have imagined this abomination, not only because i can't even enter the contest, but because it is personally offensive and here is why; As most of you would expect, seeing as I'm 19, most of my life thus far I've been a little kid, or at least treated as such, especially since i was the youngest in my family. all my life i was constantly being told i couldn't do/have this or that, because "you're not old enough." usually without any explanation why, sometimes it was a matter of legality, but often there was no valid reason whatsoever. I was always shooed away while everyone else got to do things i couldn't. I always felt like everyone else was elite, and i was the runt with no freedom. the impression i got about everything in life was something to the effect of "F*** you young person, WE'RE elite, YOU can't have (or do) this and WE can because we're older." Well now that I'm legally an adult, i figured that would be the end of that, and i would never have to be talked down to like that again, and then BAM there it is is again right in my face! and from the NRA! the exact same "F*** you young person, you can't have this", kind of message, even though I'm old enough i legally can! F***!

What adds to the insult, is that earlier this year, a payed nearly a months worth of my meager spending money to renew my NRA membership,(when i can hardly ever afford to shoot.) solely because i wanted to support their cause of fighting anti-gun legislation, in the hard times at hand, but i have lost MUCH confidence that my money is being put to good use, and i have lost a lot of respect for this organization. i would like to know, really, how much that big, shiny color printed envelope, with shiny color printed contents and even stickers, costs, not to mention postage for such a fat envelope. I really feel like they're squandering the money i gave them, and not only that, but this package is for a contest i can't even enter. It would be bad enough if they were to have a contest like this, but they did not need to present it so extravagantly, and since they know my age, they should not have wasted the hard-earned money i gave them sending me one.

Even apart from what they've done that so horribly offended me, they've still proven that they do NOT put the money i gave them to good use, and outright squander it. I doubt that but a small percentage of the money actually was used to fund political actions to protect our right to keep and bear arms, which is the sole reason i payed $35 to them for a membership. As i have been very deeply and personally offended by this crap, and disappointed by their misuse of the money, and the fact that i have a $10/week budget, i don't think I'll be renewing my membership with them when my current one expires. Although i like getting the american rifleman magazine, it's not worth it, and not the reason why i payed for a membership, rather it was just a bonus to me. I still have  the "build your own gun collection" contest package, and am currently debating whether to burn it, of if it has already wasted enough of my life and i should just throw it away.

I hate my life.

Actually none of that $35 went to the political side, Membership fees go in to the general fund, for funding the NRA's programs, and sending out those mailings.  The ILA (The political side) gets it's funding from separate donations, THAT'S what those mailings are for, there trying to get money FOR the Political fight, but your throwing a fit over it.  If you call them, they will tell you that, and while your on the phone, why don't you donate the money you think they "wasted" on you, they'll appreciate getting it back, and this time it WILL go to the ILA if that's what you ask for, and if you don't want them to send you stuff, just tell them, and they'll stop.  If you really want to help on the political side put up, or shut up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top