Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/21/2010 11:27:33 AM EDT
Any one have any luck with getting theirs reduced due to x obtaining a better job?   If so please enlighten me.

Tony
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 11:38:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Good luck with that, most likely you will just get hit for more. Cost of living since the divorce and I am sure you have had a raise or two...
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 11:49:53 AM EDT
[#2]
It will never happen; CS is based on what you make––her income will not even figure into the equation.

B_S
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 11:52:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
It will never happen; CS is based on what you make––her income will not even figure into the equation.

B_S

Not in Wisconsin anyway..its a formula based on what the two parents make and the percentage of time the child spends at each household.

The only problem is, there is no provisions for a perfectly able woman quitting their job to get more in child support.  Ask me how i know.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 11:54:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Just bend over and take it like a good dead beat father. You are the scum of the earth and deserve to be raped financially for the next 18 years.

You are not alone.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 11:57:38 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

B_S

The CS tables take into account both parents incomes.  

Here is a calculator for Ohio.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 11:58:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Depends on state law/policy which I suspect varies widely.  Normally its just based on the non-custodial parents income.  At least Iowa is that way.

Consult your attorney.  But don't hold your breath.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 12:11:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Just bend over and take it like a good dead beat father. You are the scum of the earth and deserve to be raped financially for the next 18 years.

You are not alone.

yep.

Link Posted: 7/21/2010 12:16:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are not alone.

yep.

$700 a month for ONE kid.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 12:21:30 PM EDT
[#9]
it should be based purely on a percentage of the minimum amount to required raise the child and not a dime more.

income should have nothing to do with it.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 12:26:22 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm pretty sure it varies state-to-state. In Louisiana they told me they would not factor her new husband's income in until my child made 5 years old.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 12:36:49 PM EDT
[#11]
State to state is different. Here in NC, its based on BOTH parents' incomes. There is a set formula. Here's a situation to think about...

My wife's ex was paying $500 a month for one child. He petitioned to have it reduced after five or so years due to less income on his end. The courts reduced it to $350. Five or so years later (four months ago), he got laid off and is collecting unemployment. He petitioned to have it reduced again. The courts reduced it to $50 a month. If he was not collecting unemployment, it would've remained unchanged.

I don't judge. As a dad (I'm one too), you have to do what you think is best for your child. I can understand not wanting to throw money at an ex-wife so she can get her hair and nails done. I can also understand how tough it is to make it as a single mom without child support. You have to live with the decisions you make based on how it will affect YOUR CHILD. I put my kids FIRST over everything. Just sayin...
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 2:37:37 PM EDT
[#12]
18 years of grabbing your ankles and taking it goes by quick.

The same fucking month my company closed and sent me packing, the domestic rapers doubled my child support. I had all the seperation paperwork from my job and knew my last day but still it was fuck me.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 2:53:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Evo - you're in good company.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 4:11:56 PM EDT
[#14]
In Kalifornia, Dads have to get a court to order a child support reduction.  Moms have a right to appear in court, and to oppose the motion if they desire.  They almost always so desire.  In fact, they usually petition the court for an increase in the support amount.  The amount of money a new boyfriend makes is not relevant.  They usually get the increase.  If the Mom is on welfare, the state will provide her a lawyer for her petition free of charge.

So going to court may not work out for you.  Beware, things may go from Bad to Worse....

Steve

Link Posted: 7/21/2010 4:15:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are not alone.

yep.

$700 a month for ONE kid.

Yeah, They used sand against you for the lube didn't they. I thought my $500 was alot.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 4:35:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for everyones replys.  Right now I am unsure as to whether I will petition the court for a review.   I have always felt that the lawyers always end up the better end of the deal but I know the x's income has increased substantially.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 4:43:13 AM EDT
[#17]
You should get hit with a higher support amount. Child support is based upon the total income of both parents combined. The non-custodial parent is usually responsible for 60% of the amount derived using the child support guideline formula.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top