Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/21/2010 9:13:06 AM EDT
I need some help choosing a laptop/tablet for school. Main uses are going to be taking notes on it in class as opposed to using paper and pencil and studying powerpoints and online lectures. I will be attending medical school and some upper classmen have said that they have mountains of binders containing printouts and study material. I wish to consolidate most of my study material on my laptop or tablet and organize it that way. I was thinking about a tablet so i can make my own snippet notes on online lecture notes. So what are my top choices? Thanks
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 9:27:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Didn't go to med school here, but I did just finish law school (bar exam next week!). For 2.5 of the three years I used a laptop/tablet thinkpad and rarely used the tablet feature, but it was nice for drawing some diagrams.
I kept a lot on the laptop, but still had tons of papers from things I printed out. Sometimes it's just nice to have a binder with things printed out. My last semester I just got a new thinkpad to use for the bar exam and practice (I even have a job, yay).

I would get a laptop, nothing fancy. Just make sure it has a keyboard you are comfortable typing on.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 9:31:29 AM EDT
[#2]
iPads aren't really all that good for taking notes. You can run NoteTakerHD but it's sort of marginal.

If you're close to the screen and the prof uses powerpoint, you can periodically take photos
with your phone. Other than that, a paper-based notebook and a pencil still work well.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 9:32:24 AM EDT
[#3]
I have and iPad and it is great. but it is not a note taking device.

IMO get a nice small laptop to take notes on, tablets just aren't there
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 9:37:24 AM EDT
[#4]
netbook for taking notes.

ipads aren't meant for heavy typing use, as you cannot touch type with them.

Link Posted: 7/21/2010 9:46:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Get neither.  Steve Jobs be da debil.  Pen and paper are cheap.  Learn how to use shorthand.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 9:47:16 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm a Mac fan but I don't think the iPad is the solution to your needs.

A small Netbook might be more in line with what you're looking for.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 9:47:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/21/2010 9:49:16 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://raoulpop.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/ipad-keyboard-dock-1.jpg

I wouldn't trust my education to an overgrown iPod.
Laptop or pad and paper.

Link Posted: 7/21/2010 9:55:00 AM EDT
[#9]
I just bought my son a Fujitsu T900 yesterday.  The engineering school he's attending requires this format.  His choices were Fujitsu or Toshiba, and the Fujitsu had better reviews.  First impressions are very good.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 10:12:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

So, you're telling me that you're ok with lugging around extra equipment to compensate for selecting a piece of kit that was poorly suited to your original purpose?
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 10:17:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I wouldn't trust my education to an overgrown iPod.

Laptop or pad and paper.

I was skeptical about the iPad but received one for father's day. It has exceeded my expectations in almost every way.

I would never take notes with it but I would transcribe my notes to word and then store them on Google Docs and then access them via my iPad whenever I needed them. I've done this with all of my work docs and it works great.

Link Posted: 7/21/2010 11:01:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Yea, a small netbook might be better for note taking than a tablet.  How are the Asus Eee Pc netbooks?  They seem pretty good from what i see so far
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 11:15:03 AM EDT
[#13]
In any case, please do yourself a favor and get two separate sources of back-up storage. One external HDD at home and think about paying the fee to get yourself online back-up storage as well.  I cannot even begin to tell you how much this can save your butt should something (spilled kool-aid for instance) go wrong and ruin your device.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 11:55:01 AM EDT
[#14]
the asus comes with 500gb online storage
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top