Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 7/20/2010 6:37:31 PM EDT
My uncle is not a stupid man.. He's one of the best tile layers in the area, he produced and directed a documentary that was purchased by HBO, and he can build engines and transmissions... But it took him 5 years to learn how to check his email.

One thing I've noticed is that older people seem to have an extreme reluctance to just poke around in the menus and learn. It's almost as if they're scared they're going to break it, which is pretty hard to do, short of going into the registry editor and replacing everything with "derp derp".

I don't get it. Computers aren't that complicated, half-retarded 5 year olds don't seem to have much trouble with them.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 6:41:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Can't teach an old dog new tricks.

That pretty much sums it up. There are of course exceptions to every rule, but they didn't grow up with them, and they are a very foreign concept to most elderly people.

I guess it would be better to say an old dog won't learn new tricks on its own. They can be taught and most of them will learn if someone takes the time and has the patience to teach them.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 6:42:21 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm in my 40's and still don't know all that much about mine-only got one 8 years ago.

It's different if you were raised on it from an early age,than jumping into it later in life.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 6:43:08 PM EDT
[#3]
The ability to learn decreases by about 1% every year and begins in the early twenties. Do the math.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 6:43:52 PM EDT
[#4]
You do realize that the people who started this whole internet/computer/gaming thing are now "older people"?
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 6:43:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Your uncle's intellectual deficiencies are clearly genetic.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 6:44:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The ability to learn decreases by about 1% every year and begins in the early twenties. Do the math.

Wait,what?

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 6:44:42 PM EDT
[#7]
You can change registry entries to "derp derp"?

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 6:45:04 PM EDT
[#8]
When I can get my mom to figure out how to use a cell phone correctly, then I'll worry about a computer. Much less a dvd player.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 6:45:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Why bother when you or someone else will fix it?
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 6:45:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Why are young people so stupid they don't know how to run one of these?

They are so simple to operate, you get the same mathematical answers, and you don't have to plug it into a wall!!!
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 6:45:35 PM EDT
[#11]
I've been wondering the same thing. They don't seem to WANT to learn, then bitch when you mention they don't know anything about them.

At least that's what my Grandma does.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 6:45:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Uh,because they are used to doing real work,you know the kind you do with you're hands.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 6:46:09 PM EDT
[#13]
The same reason that you suck with:

Setting a trot line.

Tanning a hide.

Knowing what tanning a hide means.

Knowing how to grow something in the ground.

Knowing how to make a bar of soap.

shall I go on, Mr KnowItAll?
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 6:47:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Same reasons we may suck at things in 40 years (+/-)....

ETA: See post above this one.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 6:47:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
My uncle is not a stupid man.. He's one of the best tile layers in the area, he produced and directed a documentary that was purchased by HBO, and he can build engines and transmissions... But it took him 5 years to learn how to check his email.

Thought that said "trial lawyers" for a second.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 6:48:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Reluctance to learn.

My 88 y/o grandpa saw computers as a wonderful business tool 20 years ago and knows a ton about PC's.

My 65 y/o dad refuses to learn and wants me to help him do everything on the computer for him.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 6:50:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Setting a trot line.

Tanning a hide.

What he said...and I'm an IT guy.

How old are you, OP?

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 6:51:28 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

http://www.pbase.com/terry_56/image/34645608.jpg

They are so simple to operate, you get the same mathematical answers, and you don't have to plug it into a wall!!!

Yup.  Try and take a math class today without a calculator.  

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 6:51:39 PM EDT
[#19]
I taught my 80 year old grandfather how to check his email. I instructed him to do it at least once a day so through repetition he wouldn't forget. Well, he ignored the instruction and forgot. So I showed him again. And he forgot again. Now when he asks I just ask him to remind me of the instructions he ignored. The man keeps a log book of his treadmill use to show his doctor but wants to waste my time.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 6:53:55 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

When I can get my mom to figure out how to use a cell phone correctly, then I'll worry about a computer. Much less a dvd player.
So, yours has that whole T.V. remote thing down pat, then?  

Care to share the technique you used to teach her?  Mine calls me on the phone in the middle of the night for instructions, and I have to try to remember what it looks like.  

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 6:54:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Quoted:

So you obviously never used one or don't know how to use one???
41 years ago today we landed on the moon using a slipstick......
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 6:55:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

One thing I've noticed is that older people seem to have an extreme reluctance to just poke around in the menus and learn. It's almost as if they're scared they're going to break it, which is pretty hard to do, short of going into the registry editor and replacing everything with "derp derp".

I don't get it. Computers aren't that complicated, half-retarded 5 year olds don't seem to have much trouble with them.

I've been on computers since '06, so I fit the bill here. They are useful for getting info and such. It's just new to a lot of us and some don't like change. I'm 53, my daughter is almost nine and is a wizard on the thing, so is my wife. Personally I know it's the wave of the future. Period. But I like sending letters and land lines. Lighten up friend.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 6:55:36 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

answered your own question there

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 6:56:24 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Computer operation has a 'mindset' associated with it...

You either force yourself to learn it, grow up with it, or you just never get it...

Most of the folks born before the 70s just don't get it....

Others 'forced themselves to learn' and 'get it' just fine...

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 6:56:40 PM EDT
[#25]

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 6:56:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Way back in the early '80s, I was working in Silicon Valley assembling IBM PC clones. When visiting my grandparents one summer, I explained what my job was and my grandmother asked 'why would anybody need their own personal computer?'.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 6:57:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Setting a trot line.

Tanning a hide.

The reason I suck with these things is because I've never attempted to do any of them.

Now, I'm also fairly sure that no one else in my family knows how to do any of those things, either, but that's not the point.

I've seen many very smart people try to learn how to use computers, and simply give up.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 6:57:55 PM EDT
[#28]
I know why: risk taking.

Younger people aren't afraid to hit buttons and play with things. Computers can be reset.

Older people don't like taking the big risks and clicking around.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 6:58:56 PM EDT
[#29]
I am 64 and know my way around a computer, but my best friend (a few years older than me) refuses to deal with computers.
Before he retired, he used e-mail and did some searching on his work computer. Now he says won't get on his wife's computer because he might mess it up.
Bottom line is he can live without it and is just not interested.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 7:01:53 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm only 31 and I already know it won't be long before I'm one of those old people who is behind the times.

I've been using computers for as long as I can remember, but I'm just that - a user.  I'm not a "geek" who knows all the latest tech, and I don't care to be.  On top of that, the software I use at work isn't exactly up to date - we just got Office 2007 and XP SP3!  On top of that, I'm too cheap to spend the money on new stuff at home.  I just have Open Office and I hardly even use that.

I've worked places where cameras weren't allowed, so my cel phone doesn't even have a camera, let alone the ability to check email or surf Arfcom.

I'm not clueless, but I can see myself falling further and further behind - it won't be long til I'm just lost as your uncle.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 7:02:20 PM EDT
[#31]
That's exactly it.  They're afraid to explore, out of fear that they might screw something up.  

All the most devastating things you can do to a computer typically have an "Are you really sure you want to do that?" pop-up window

to protect them.    

Me,  well,  I HATE it when Windows throws a confirmation window at me.   I'd disable them ALL if I could!  Don't second guess me, you digital

bastard!  If I type in "Format c: /u" at the command prompt,   don't check with me,  just DO IT!!  

It can be difficult to get older people to explore on the computer, but you have to tell them straight out:  If you don't explore the software,

I can't help you.   If you don't make some effort to learn by hands-on exploration,  you don't need to be using a computer at all, and I will

not be your pet computer slave who runs all your programs for you.

CJ

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 7:02:25 PM EDT
[#32]
My mom is 87, and she surfs, emails, and plays all kinds of addictive games on hers. Granted, my mom isn't typical of octogenerians. She also texts me breaking news, because she is a Foxnews junkie, and she went to Talladega with us last November. She is also in my Yahoo Fantasy NASCAR group.

And since embedding isn't working for me for some unknown reason, here is the link to said mom at Talladega...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DA_BlE0rh2g
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 7:02:27 PM EDT
[#33]
How come young people can't fix the simplest mechanical thing? Half of them would have a problem with even changing a flat tire.

And basic math in their head? Bwa HAHAHAHAHA. They can't even make change for a simple transaction.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 7:03:20 PM EDT
[#34]
I've tried to teach quite a few older people.

The only reason I hear "I'm afraid to break it, I spent so much money on it"
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 7:03:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
How come young people can't fix the simplest mechanical thing? Half of them would have a problem with even changing a flat tire.

Yeah, the half of us known as "women".
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 7:04:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Setting a trot line.

Tanning a hide.

Sorry I missed your post Ranger...well said.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 7:05:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, the half of us known as "women".

Not hardly, remembering "rightie tighty, lefty loosey" is hard enough for the younger generation.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 7:06:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Hey old timer!!!  We have batteries now!  No wall receptacle needed.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 7:08:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Setting a trot line.

Tanning a hide.

The reason I suck with these things is because I've never attempted to do any of them.

Now, I'm also fairly sure that no one else in my family knows how to do any of those things, either, but that's not the point.

I've seen many very smart people try to learn how to use computers, and simply give up.

Owned.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 7:08:57 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Quoted:

For the record, calculators have been banned in both of the math classes I've taken at college, but I don't know how to use a slide rule for the same reason that most older people don't know how to make stone hand-axes.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 7:11:29 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Setting a trot line.

Tanning a hide.

QFT.

I don't know how to change my car oil but I could EASILY learn.   All you have to do is find some instructions and remember the mistakes you make on the first time so you don't make them again...

That's why Google is so nice!  I don't understand why people don't use the vast resources found in technology.

The interface with computers is different than the interface with real life and I think that is what stops these people.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 7:11:40 PM EDT
[#42]
I've been on the receiving end of many 'tech support' calls

As far as I can tell, the issue is a true paradigm shift-as an example, going from a timer-controlled Maytag to a digital, push-button controlled unit. Big difference, no?

it isn't that the old folks are dumb, retarded, idiots, or clueless.  It's just that the world today is far different from anything they envisioned.  Future shock in the real world.  A dryer control from 2005 compared to one from 1949  is two generations of difference.   (as in it takes two generations of people to keep up)
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 7:11:44 PM EDT
[#43]
Lack of desire.  I've been programming for nearly forty years and managed servers on the Internet for over twenty years.  I can do it because I want to do it.  Most of my friends will "forget" how to do things on computers until they find something they want to do then they magically start to remember how to.  I have lots of friends and relatives that can't "remember" how to check their e-mail for more than thirty seconds, but once someone starts sending them pictures of a grandchild that they want to see, they never forget how to do it again.  It isn't just the old.  I've had employees of all ages "forget" how to do things until you let them know they must remember in order to keep their jobs.  When people want to remember, they will.z
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 7:12:28 PM EDT
[#44]
My mother is VERY impatient when it coms to her computer.   I try to stay away from her questions.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 7:13:32 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

How are you at using an old style manual typewriter? Nuff said?

Education

Exposure to

practice.

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 7:13:35 PM EDT
[#46]
I would say that it's a combination of things.

Older people are used to mechanical things that give tactile feedback. Computers require a bit of rote learning to use but most computer users apply a combination of inductive reasoning and "let's see what happens when I do this" to make their computer work. Older people may tend to think that you have to memorize every little thing you do on a computer. Younger people are more likely to understand that it's better to just dick around with the computer until it does what they want. Younger people also were first exposed to computers as some sort of toy whereas older people probably first encountered computers that were mysterious, expensive machines.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 7:13:37 PM EDT
[#47]
Beware the stereotypes.

My father is 75 years old and knows more about computers than I do.

He teaches adult basic computer courses at a local community college in his retirement.

Many times I have had to ask him complex questions about operating systems, software and hardware issues, etc, and he will know the answer.

Guns - he asks me.

Computers - I ask him.

(He's also a member of this website by the way, and may therefore be its oldest member, but I don't think he has ever posted anything).
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 7:14:03 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Lack of desire.  I've been programming for nearly forty years and managed servers on the Internet for over twenty years.  I can do it because I want to do it.  Most of my friends will "forget" how to do things on computers until they find something they want to do then they magically start to remember how to.  I have lots of friends and relatives that can't "remember" how to check their e-mail for more than thirty seconds, but once someone starts sending them pictures of a grandchild that they want to see, they never forget how to do it again.  It isn't just the old.  I've had employees of all ages "forget" how to do things until you let them know they must remember in order to keep their jobs.  When people want to remember, they will.z

Correct. Relevance = retention.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 7:14:21 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 7:16:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Not all of us do.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top