Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/23/2001 3:24:11 PM EDT
a new gun club member asked me which rifle to get (i think all he'll do is ring the gongs). he was leaning toward an M1a with all the whitles and bells but asked me was that the best choice between the two.  i told him to definitely get one of each (think he has deep pockets) but the AR is definitely more fun for banging the gongs and plinking. i don't think i lead him astray did i???? Dick
Link Posted: 3/23/2001 10:16:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/24/2001 6:42:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Maybe I am more masochistic than most, but I like the feel of the recoil of the M1A. It is more fun to shoot, ammo is almost as cheap, but eh AR definitly has the sexier profile. I have both, but the M1A has more range time.
[sniper]
Link Posted: 3/24/2001 6:55:59 AM EDT
[#3]
They are both good guns, I would have and did get my ar first as that is the one that will be harder and harder to get, plus as you say it is a little more fun to shoot, not more accurate but more fun as the rounds are cheaper, easier to come by, and unless you have a range of more than 400 yards the ar is generally more accurate at closer ranges, because it's flat shooting. Now the M1a is much more accurate at distance, which most don't shoot all that much, but I do enjoy shooting the M1a also.
Link Posted: 3/24/2001 7:37:28 AM EDT
[#4]
I have both and love them both. I think in my opinion the AR being more versatile and less expensive the AR gets a bit more favored. I like the feel of the pistol grip better. More control. I find my hand slips a on the smooth walnut stock of the M1A. The plastic of the pistol grip and hand guard give the AR an edge. I would never sell either. They are both top shelf.
Link Posted: 3/24/2001 7:56:02 AM EDT
[#5]
I would have told him to go with the m1a.then get the ar 2nd Ipassed on one a few years ago and the price has really shot up.Both are great guns and are also must have guns
Link Posted: 3/24/2001 8:27:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes.  No collection is complete without some type of .308 battle rifle along with the AR, that is if you are a military collector. As for me, I've got an STG-58 FAL, but I think, in retrospec, I would rather have a M1A/M-14.Oh what the h*ll, I admit it, I'd rather have both.
Link Posted: 3/25/2001 12:11:39 AM EDT
[#7]
The AR is the better choice if a person is only going to have one rifle and it's primarily going to be a plinker.  I prefer the M1A myself, but the AR is cheaper, parts are cheaper and easier to find (GI parts for the M1A are drying up and getting more expensive), and mags are still cheap and easily available.  If he can afford both, than by all means he should buy both.  If he gets an M1A, tell him to lay in a supply of spare parts ASAP.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top