Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2010 4:50:39 PM EDT
Don't know where is the best place to post this, so I'm hitting GD.
My Eotech, with a maximum of about 4 range trips, stopped working.  I put in 3 new sets of batteries, no joy.

Does anyone else have a similar experience? Suggestions?  
I'm a bit dismayed because this is on my 'go to' rifle, and I just though the optic was die-hard.

It's the no night vision, AA battery model.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 4:51:15 PM EDT
[#1]
aimpoint...

(also, i've read the battery contacts can be crappy... I believe there are fixes for this and more helpful people than myself should be along shortly with details...)
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 4:51:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
aimpoint...

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 4:52:55 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

aimpoint...

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 4:53:51 PM EDT
[#4]
You're sure it's a genuine EOTech?  
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 4:54:31 PM EDT
[#5]
aimpoint...

That is what I was thinking, but did not want to say.

Sorry I am of no help, not much experience with EO except for a few shots.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 4:55:00 PM EDT
[#6]
I think some of the older models had a problem with the battery terminals getting bent/flattened so they no longer made contact.  You might want to take a look at them and see if that could be the trouble.....

Good luck and I hope it turns out to be something simple.  Mine has been working very well for a year or so.

Good shooting,
desmobob
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 4:58:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes, it's real.
I'm going to try the suggestions here
http://www.eotech-inc.com/page.php?id=18
tomorrow, then give them a call I guess.  Frustrating.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 4:58:39 PM EDT
[#8]
ACOG

Nuclear powered and has a half life of 12 years
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 4:59:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Call Eotech and they will take care of you. The older models have had some problems. The newer XPS series is redesigned and is rock solid. The Aimpoint is a good optic. I just like the wider field of view on the Eotech.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 4:59:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
ACOG

This!  I have endeavored to avoid looking through ACOGs so that I could continue to delude myself into thinking my M3 was "good enough."  Looked through one at Gun Gallery yesterday...  I know where my next disposable $1000 is going.  
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 5:00:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You're sure it's a genuine EOTech?  

My first thought too.

Only 4 range trips so should still be under warranty. Can always send it off to be fixed.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 5:01:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Call Eotech and they will take care of you. The older models have had some problems. The newer XPS series is redesigned and is rock solid. The Aimpoint is a good optic. I just like the wider field of view on the Eotech.

yep, the new ones are good.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 5:02:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Anything that runs on batteries, and has electronics invoved, is destined to fail at some point. Fact of life.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 5:09:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Anything that runs on batteries, and has electronics invoved, is destined to fail at some point. Fact of life.

I'm going to start a thread on this.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 8:08:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Don't know where is the best place to post this, so I'm hitting GD.
My Eotech, with a maximum of about 4 range trips, stopped working.  I put in 3 new sets of batteries, no joy.

Does anyone else have a similar experience? Suggestions?  
I'm a bit dismayed because this is on my 'go to' rifle, and I just though the optic was die-hard.

It's the no night vision, AA battery model.

Unpossible.

Trijicon FTW!!!
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 8:10:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
ACOG

This!  I have endeavored to avoid looking through ACOGs so that I could continue to delude myself into thinking my M3 was "good enough."  Looked through one at Gun Gallery yesterday...  I know where my next disposable $1000 is going.  

They don't all cost $1000.... The best all around ACOG is the TA33, and it can be had in the $750 range. Nothing says you have to buy new either.....
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 8:21:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Every EoTech in every carbine class I've ever taken has taken a crap.

4 classes, 5 optics, none made it through the first day.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 8:27:21 PM EDT
[#18]
It is the battery terminals.  There is a small spring surrounded by rubber in the bottom of the battery holder.  Check it and make sure they are sitting flat.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 8:29:39 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Every EoTech in every carbine class I've ever taken has taken a crap.

4 classes, 5 optics, none made it through the first day.
wow.  how do they stay in business?

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 8:29:48 PM EDT
[#20]
If it's a real EOtech, I postulate that it is UNPOSSIBLE for it to fail.  People here tell me so.  It's expensive, thus it works all the time every time and never fails.   People trust their lives to them.  Besides, they're expensive.  That means they work all the time every time!
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 8:34:09 PM EDT
[#21]
If your rifle was sitting barrel up with batteries in it, check the batteries for leakage. I've had this same deal happen.

If there was any liquid in there at all it may have deposited on those little metal bumps. Take a pencil eraser to them and that will clean them up. Unless the laser emitter is shot, the eraser method has fixed three EOTechs for me when I had AA batteries leak.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 8:43:47 PM EDT
[#22]
I was issued one. Put it on the rifle, fired it up, and I shit you not - it shut off upon firing the first round. That's the extent of my eotech experience, because it was on my rifle for all of 10 minutes.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 3:53:08 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
If your rifle was sitting barrel up with batteries in it, check the batteries for leakage. I've had this same deal happen.

If there was any liquid in there at all it may have deposited on those little metal bumps. Take a pencil eraser to them and that will clean them up. Unless the laser emitter is shot, the eraser method has fixed three EOTechs for me when I had AA batteries leak.

FTW! thanks!!  this worked.  I am now storing it barrel down in the safe because of this too.  Thank you very much!!

BTW, I have an ACOG, on another rifle.  Can't have 2 identical setups, can we?

Link Posted: 7/21/2010 4:22:49 AM EDT
[#24]
It happened to me, with my wife's rifle. Eotech replaced it with a rebuilt model. Give them a call. I did have to wait for a while, their factory is near Ann Arbor Michigan but I had to send the optic somewhere else, and they made me wait until they looked at it to ship the refurb one.

Next time, aimpoint.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 4:27:45 AM EDT
[#25]
Make sure you use the lithium AA batteries.

They last longer and are lighter
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 4:29:33 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

FTW! thanks!!  this worked.  I am now storing it barrel down in the safe because of this too.  Thank you very much!!

BTW, I have an ACOG, on another rifle.  Can't have 2 identical setups, can we?

If it leaks because it's one way... the batteries are oriented the opposite way... won't it still leak if you store it barrel down??
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 4:30:19 AM EDT
[#27]
Wow lots of EOtech hate here. I have had mine about 2 years, & made it through a deployment. Mine is the AA version with NV.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 4:31:24 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I was issued one. Put it on the rifle, fired it up, and I shit you not - it shut off upon firing the first round. That's the extent of my eotech experience, because it was on my rifle for all of 10 minutes.

I had the same problem with mine. I bought one because everyone was raving about them and I didn't have to buy a separate mount like I would with an Aimpoint. When it did work, it ate batteries, lithium and alkaline. One day the reflector delaminated and I couldn't seen the reticle. EOTech fixed the delamination, but I still had issues with it dying after shooting it a few rounds. Finally I gave up, sold it and got an Aimpoint CompM2 and never looked back.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 5:22:33 AM EDT
[#29]
Eotech 512 with FTS Magnifier has served me well.  The complaint that they don't have 10,000 hours of battery life doesn't bother me.  As much as ammo as we all go through, going through a couple of batteries now and then doesn't seem that bad.  If you are a "professional operator" as I'm sure most on this board consider themselves to be, a regular program of battery changes and compartment inspections surely must be part of your routine.

Seriously, my Eotech setup works well and gives me the flexibility of long and close range at the price of the other optics.  I do not have any experience whatsoever with the other setups, but my setup works for me.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 5:37:45 AM EDT
[#30]
Shitty AA batteries cause corrosion on the battery terminals (or leak or burst in storage).  Only problem I had with my 512 is one of the batteries that came with it crapped out in storage (actually output negative voltage).  The other battery was fine.

I use Energizer 2650mah rechargeables and the sight powers on every time I take it out of the safe.  Over a year of storage/use with no trouble.  I keep a spare set in my MIAD grip.  I have not yet needed to swap or recharge the batteries.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 5:52:07 AM EDT
[#31]
I don't use my 512 much, but in 2 years I have not issues with it or batteries. Still on my first set of batteries. A shooting buddy of mine has  an Aimpoint, and I considered it, but like the sight picture better on the EoTech. Last year I got a Trijicon 3-9x40 Accupoint. It has the glow-in-the-dark stuff, and I can see the benefit of no electronics to fuss with. But you will eventually have to send it off to have the tritium recharged. I guess they all have their ups and downs.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 5:55:47 AM EDT
[#32]
I've had an Eo-Tech on a personal rifle and an Eo-Tech on my issue rifle.  Never had any real problems with it.  FWIW, apparently sprinkling baby powder in the battery compartment is supposed to help the issues with the connectors wearing down.  Yes, baby powder.   No, I don't know why, but I do it, and haven't had any problems.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 6:23:57 AM EDT
[#33]
I now have 2 Eotech 512s, both bought used. 1 works fine just as bought. The 2nd I got for 200 but had to send it to L-3 for repair. The nitrogen was gone and the sight wasn't bright. They repaired it for 58 bucks. Both are GTG.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 6:30:27 AM EDT
[#34]
send it back

or get more batteries
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 6:32:47 AM EDT
[#35]
EoTechs are great sights, I've had one for almost 5 years now and it's still going strong. It's been on numerous hog hunts, range trips, 3 gun matches and 2 carbine classes.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 6:33:02 AM EDT
[#36]
I've had my eotech 512 for 4-5 years now.  Probably 6-8k rounds fired while in use.  Changed the batteries twice in that time, once because it needed it, the second time because they hadn't been changed in a while.  It's never failed me, shut off unexpectedly, or anything like that.  Everyone I know that has a 512 has had the same positive experience I have.  OTOH, everyone I know that has the N-battery models have nothing but complaints about random shut-offs and never go out without a spare set of batts.

Those ACOGs sure are nice, but I can't see myself spending more than the AR costs for the sight.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 6:45:53 AM EDT
[#37]
512 with no problems.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 7:03:30 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

512 with no problems.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

This, but mine's relatively new, and it sits on a LaRue mount.  Maybe LaRue wards off the evil spirits

Link Posted: 7/21/2010 7:26:25 AM EDT
[#39]
EOTech 512 Rev F here... I use rechargeable NiMH AA's and they won't last storage more than 1 year. The EOTech just drains them dry.

The only NiMH that might work long-term are the special ones made by Eneloop or similar chemistry (same capacity as early NiMH, with the storage life of Alkaline/Lithium).
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 7:31:56 AM EDT
[#40]
Needs a reboot (seriously, may just have to reset circuits):

Remove the batteries

Press and hold both the buttons for a few seconds

Let it sit for several minutes

Link Posted: 7/21/2010 7:52:20 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I have endeavored to avoid looking through ACOGs so that I could continue to delude myself into thinking my M3 was "good enough."  Looked through one at Gun Gallery yesterday...  I know where my next disposable $1000 is going.  

Your M3 may indeed be good enough, depending on what you need.  IMHO they are 2 different sights for 2 different purposes.

Link Posted: 7/21/2010 7:54:13 AM EDT
[#42]
1. email/call eotech customer service directly
2. check into warranty
3. return/exchange with retailer
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 7:55:47 AM EDT
[#43]
Eotech is good on customer service.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 7:57:01 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Make sure you use the lithium AA batteries.

They last longer and are lighter

But they still leak too. I take mine out while it's in the safe. My Buis sights are still on there so no worry.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 7:59:11 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 8:04:00 AM EDT
[#46]
Call EOTech.

I've had one (AA, non-NV) for five years on my M4 w/ zero issues, in reference to the other comments in this thread. I will switch to Aimpoint T-1 if I have play money at some point.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 8:10:26 AM EDT
[#47]
Call EOTech, they have great customer service...I lost the battery cover and they send one for free with a set of batteries.  I've had mine for about 6yrs. and it's been rock solid and holds zero.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 8:38:47 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
EOTech 512 Rev F here... I use rechargeable NiMH AA's and they won't last storage more than 1 year. The EOTech just drains them dry.

The only NiMH that might work long-term are the special ones made by Eneloop or similar chemistry (same capacity as early NiMH, with the storage life of Alkaline/Lithium).

Regular NiMh batteries have a problem with their self discharge rate.... They would die whether you had them in your EOTech or just sitting on the shelf. For devices (Flashlights) that draw a lot of current, they hold charge for about a week and puke out after that. An Eotech would not show them to have died so quickly because the amp draw and resultant voltage drop under load are so much lower.

And yes, Hybrid NiMH cells like Eneloops and Duracells with the green band are the cat's ass for rechargeable pencells.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top