Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/20/2010 2:09:48 PM EDT
For those that have been licensed firearms dealers and those who have worked for them:

A.  What are the positives?

B.  What are the negatives?

Is it an enjoyable career being a small business FFL dealer or is it filled with stress and hard to pay the bills doing it?

Thanks.

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 2:11:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Might get better answers here.

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 2:12:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Well you have to deal with your average AR15.com member, so you decide.

The positives? You can make a little bit of money on a used gun or two every now and then. Have someone bring you in something you really want to stash away that normally might not come your way.

The negatives? You get to be called a greedy son of a bitch if you dare try to make more money on an item than the customer thinks is fair. Even if it's a whole $5! You get to hear people complain because you won't allow them more than wholesale on a gun in trade that they bought from someone else. etc................

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 2:13:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I had a FFL for a while. I found it was a losing proposition for a small time guy like myself. The local high volume store front guys retail price was what my wholesale price was on most new guns. I couldn't compete.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 2:25:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Oh and I forgot about getting people all pissed off at you, because you won't "eat" the sales tax which would negate any profit you were gonna make.

If you even consider it, don't stock new guns. Deal strictly with used items and you'll actually do ok.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 2:28:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Being a gun dealer will guanrntee you two things.

A. You will deal with the worst possible clients in the entire retail world. Gun buyers and owners are amongst the biggest dickheads on the planet. Although we share a common goal and values, I hate most gun people.

B. You will make no money.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 2:30:12 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Being a gun dealer will guanrntee you two things.

A. You will deal with the worst possible clients in the entire retail world. Gun buyers and owners are amongst the biggest dickheads on the planet. Although we share a common goal and values, I hate most gun people.

B. You will make no money.

Hope this helps.

So its a lot like selling cars then.  

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 2:34:26 PM EDT
[#7]
I donno but imo the best bet would be not having a store and just do transfers, you would have to get your name out though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top