Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 7/20/2010 11:40:21 AM EDT
OK I'm curious, what do you Guys and Gals really want to know?
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 11:41:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Did you get into the business only for the pie?
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 11:41:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Marathon PR?
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 11:43:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Do you do personal training?

What was the largest person you've worked with and how much weight did they lose?
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 11:43:16 AM EDT
[#4]
so whats some supplments that will get you totaly ripped with the same work out load of 3 days weights 3 days cardio?

need to look like Technoviking in 2 months time..
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 11:44:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Why are gyms such a PITA to be a member of?  Between the BS contracts, the hard sell pushy salesmen, and always high monthly fees, why??
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 11:45:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Actually I thought "this will be great, I love to Work Out, I'll be able to Work Out ALL the time!!" but meeting Girls wasn't bad either. I
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 11:45:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Tell me about recovery time. Also, I avoid weights because I dont want to get all bulky and lose flexibility. Should I just stick to cardio and forget the lifting?
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 11:46:23 AM EDT
[#8]
What  did you get  your degree in, and who certifies you as a Personal Trainer?  How often do you go to continuing education to maintain your certfication?

Hax
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 11:46:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Want to know about the hot mommies you train.  One of the trainers at my gym has as many as 8 or 10 of them training at a time.  I think he is single and wonder just how good he has it.  He is getting them into great shape...what a job.

dvo
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 11:47:30 AM EDT
[#10]
what's the best way for me to lose weight?
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 11:47:52 AM EDT
[#11]
What is the latest greatest fad?  Is it worthwhile?

What approach delivers fitness year after year after year regardless of fashion/fitness trends?

What is the one trait you want to see in a client?

What can make you the trainer miserable when with a client?
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 11:48:29 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually I thought "this will be great, I love to Work Out, I'll be able to Work Out ALL the time!!" but meeting Girls wasn't bad either. I

He fent in the middle of a post?

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 11:49:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Do you do personal training?

What was the largest person you've worked with and how much weight did they lose?

I do, probably close to 100 pounds. I would say that your diet is the majority of what controls your weight. Your Training program is the majority of what contributes to your fitness. If weight loss is their only goal I refer them to a nutritionist.

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 11:50:02 AM EDT
[#14]
How come I can't lose weight?

I've drastically cut back fast food, eliminated soda, started eating more turkey, reduced the amount that I eat, walk at least 1.5 miles every night and work out with weights at least 3 times per week. I recently discovered that in the 90 days between Dr's visits I have gained 2 pounds.

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 11:51:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Why are gyms such a PITA to be a member of?  Between the BS contracts, the hard sell pushy salesmen, and always high monthly fees, why??

Mainly because they are in the business of making money and could care very little if you actually get fit.

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 11:53:07 AM EDT
[#16]
How many soccer mommies offer services for your services?
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 11:56:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

What is the latest greatest fad? There is something everyday it seems, The shake weight thing is freaking hilarious though...lol

Is it worthwhile? Probably not, if you can give me a specific example I could try to address why or why not.

What approach delivers fitness year after year after year regardless of fashion/fitness trends? Having GOALS

What is the one trait you want to see in a client? A specific GOAL

What can make you the trainer miserable when with a client? Someone who doesn't respect your time or your service, Someone who thinks your their water caddy

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 12:03:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
How come I can't lose weight?

I've drastically cut back fast food, eliminated soda, started eating more turkey, reduced the amount that I eat, walk at least 1.5 miles every night and work out with weights at least 3 times per week. I recently discovered that in the 90 days between Dr's visits I have gained 2 pounds.

I don't know, because I don't have any of your information.  Sometimes genetic background or patholgy can play a part, but usually it comes down to diet. Any human who is in a calorie deficit will lose weight. But to do it healthfully it's important to have a professional assess your actual needs, and if it is hard for you to lose weight you need to STICK to it down to the gram. A handful of almonds can add hundreds of calories to your daily intake, so it's easy to see how one day you could be in a deficit and the next in a surplus. This is not condusive to losing weight steadily.

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 12:05:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
How many soccer mommies offer services for your services?

A couple, although I never took them up on it. I was always in a relationship, and they are obviously dirty.

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 12:07:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Control your diet. Again, assuming your are otherwise healthy i.e. no disease or illness that would prevent you from doing so.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 12:08:46 PM EDT
[#21]
When are you going to get a real job?
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 12:09:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Does peeing on your feet in the shower really help you avoid athletes foot?
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 12:09:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Can working out at an early age stunt growth? How fast do your muscles degenerate after lack of physical activity?
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 12:10:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Burn more calories than you take in.

End of story.

Hax

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 12:13:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Whoa. Most timely thread ever, and thanks for starting it.

I've gone through a lot of big changes in my life over the last years, one of the most important being to completely turn my physical fitness around, lose a ton of weight and embrace the healthy lifestyle that I wish I could go back and smack my younger self for not doing 20 years ago. Over the course of this physical re-awakening, I've started to accept the fact that I have absolutely zero interest in spending the rest of my life stuck behind a computer in a dark dingy office producing bullshit that doesn't matter and I want to shift into a physically active career … So, I guess the big question is … I'm 38 years old. Am I completely deluding myself into thinking that I could get into a field like the one you're in and make a solid career out of it for the rest of my useful employment life?
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 12:16:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Other than the generic answers and exercises of running/treadmill/elliptical what are good exercises one can do at home that will burn fat and what are ones at the gym?
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 12:18:02 PM EDT
[#27]
basic setup required for a home gym?

Ive got a recumbant bike and looking at a set of Bowflex adjustable dumbbells. I want to have better cardio and bigger guns. Will this work?
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 12:18:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Not to take fees out of your pocket but, in your opinion, what books and videos are good for weight lifting?
There's a guy on youtube (http://scoobysworkshop.com) that seems to know what he is talking about.

I'm looking for information about schedules of training and proper form for lifting.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 12:23:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Front Squat vs Back Squat.  Which do you prefer and why?
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 12:26:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
OK I'm curious, what do you Guys and Gals really want to know?

What are your qualifications?? What are your certifications?
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 12:29:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
What  did you get  your degree in, and who certifies you as a Personal Trainer?  How often do you go to continuing education to maintain your certfication?

Hax

OK this is a good one as I think this is widely misunderstood. I have a Liberal Arts Degree. You can currently call yourself a "Trainer" with practically nothing to back it up. It is a BIG problem IMHO.

There are different Certifying bodies out there and their rules are different for each as to when/how much continuing education you need to do. It seems nowadays that anyone who wants to make some extra money puts out a "Certification".

So for those that might be interested in getting certed or want to know if their trainer is legit, I suggest looking for a NASM, ACSM, ACE,NSCA, NSCA-CSCS as their "Base" and consider the others as "specialties"  or supplements to their basic training knowledge.

I've been working for 10 years as a Trainer or Trainer Manager, and have "certed" through ACE/APEX/NASM/USAW and I'm a EMT.

With all this being said, I have met, interviewed or worked with guys/gals that were much more specifically educated than me such as BA in sports science or exercise physiology, and they couldn't train their way out of a bag. Then others still that should be writing books on how to train, but these people are the exception NOT the rule.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 12:29:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
When are you going to get a real job?

Hopefully Never.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 12:33:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hax

OK this is a good one as I think this is widely misunderstood. I have a Liberal Arts Degree. You can currently call yourself a "Trainer" with practically nothing to back it up. It is a BIG problem IMHO.

There are different Certifying bodies out there and their rules are different for each as to when/how much continuing education you need to do. It seems nowadays that anyone who wants to make some extra money puts out a "Certification".

So for those that might be interested in getting certed or want to know if their trainer is legit, I suggest looking for a NASM, ACSM, ACE,NSCA, NSCA-CSCS as their "Base" and consider the others as "specialties"  or supplements to their basic training knowledge.

I've been working for 10 years as a Trainer or Trainer Manager, and have "certed" through ACE/APEX/NASM/USAW and I'm a EMT.

With all this being said, I have met, interviewed or worked with guys/gals that were much more specifically educated than me such as BA in sports science or exercise physiology, and they couldn't train their way out of a bag. Then others still that should be writing books on how to train, but these people are the exception NOT the rule.

When my wife and I owned our gym, we always looked for ACSM or NSCA  CPT's.  We also did a lot of work with a local cardiologist and had to have people certified with that type of recovery.  ACE/ISSA/NASM, etc. ere good...but the ACSM and NSCA were the top of the top we looked for.

We weren't too worried about what their degree was in as you won't get certified by those guys without a thorough understanding of anatomy and physiology.

Hax

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 12:35:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Whoa. Most timely thread ever, and thanks for starting it.

I've gone through a lot of big changes in my life over the last years, one of the most important being to completely turn my physical fitness around, lose a ton of weight and embrace the healthy lifestyle that I wish I could go back and smack my younger self for not doing 20 years ago. Over the course of this physical re-awakening, I've started to accept the fact that I have absolutely zero interest in spending the rest of my life stuck behind a computer in a dark dingy office producing bullshit that doesn't matter and I want to shift into a physically active career … So, I guess the big question is … I'm 38 years old. Am I completely deluding myself into thinking that I could get into a field like the one you're in and make a solid career out of it for the rest of my useful employment life?

No, I truly believe that you can do it if you can SEE it. Now as far as being a TRAINER for the rest of your life.....It depends on what your annual income needs to be. If you include possibilities like Owning a Gym or other fitness related facility, writing fitness articles/books, talks/lectures etc. you can make a fine living.

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 12:36:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hax

I understand the whole Ive been a trainer for such and such years and yes there are lots of people that come out of EXSS or Physiology degrees that dont know shit, but to be honest I dont care how long you have been doing it. Internet advice is crap. You have no idea what these people would be looking at health wise, you are doing any sort of questionaire anything. IF you want to share advice hit the fitness forum, and help out there.

And if you want some background from me I am an EXSS (exercise sport science) BS from Oregon State, Certified by ACSM, NSCA with my CSCS. and currently one of the strength and conditioning coaches at OSU and HATE THIS it may be that all I have had were bad experiences with this
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 12:38:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Do you find your life rewarding, and that you are living it?

I've seen a lot of people who I'm guessing look like you, out and about.  I don't think I could stand to debate whether or not I could have a beer if I'm hanging out with friends because it's totally going to throw me off my game.  Same goes for things like debating on whether or not I can have the breaded chicken breast because it has too many carbs.

Can you make those douchebag roid users stop screaming everytime they lift a weight?  Or better yet, point out to everyone in the gym that the dudes who look like the hulk are, in fact, using and that their penis and junk are smaller than the average man's pinky (do this especially in front of the women).  Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 12:40:28 PM EDT
[#37]
What would be a good fee to pay for a personal trainer?  Give me a good idea of what a personal trainer would cost so I don't get shafted.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 12:42:00 PM EDT
[#38]
whats the best supplement for energy and weight loss if poper diet isnt possbile. I w/o and exercise and seem to have platoed. Again proper diet just not possible right now.  14.2 bmi looking to drop about 10 more lbs
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 12:42:44 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hax

I understand the whole Ive been a trainer for such and such years and yes there are lots of people that come out of EXSS or Physiology degrees that dont know shit, but to be honest I dont care how long you have been doing it. Internet advice is crap. You have no idea what these people would be looking at health wise, you are doing any sort of questionaire anything. IF you want to share advice hit the fitness forum, and help out there.

And if you want some background from me I am an EXSS (exercise sport science) BS from Oregon State, Certified by ACSM, NSCA with my CSCS. and currently one of the strength and conditioning coaches at OSU and HATE THIS INTERNET BULLSHIT.

Thanks for sharing your hatred of INTERNET BULLSHIT (on the Internet).    

I think this is more in the general [and popular GD] category of "Ask someone in this field dumb questions about his field" than him trolling for Olympic athlete clients in GD.

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 12:46:18 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I love them both like they were my children  The Front, Back, and Overhead Squat as well as the Deadlift are the "Bread and Butter" of Functional Movement, and IMO anyone who is serious about exercise will get professional instruction in these lifts.

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 12:46:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hax

And if you want some background from me I am an EXSS (exercise sport science) BS from Oregon State, Certified by ACSM, NSCA with my CSCS. and currently one of the strength and conditioning coaches at OSU and HATE THIS INTERNET BULLSHIT.

I think this is more in the general [and popular GD] category of "Ask someone in this field dumb questions about his field" than him trolling for Olympic athlete clients in GD.

Not what I meant. Guess I missunderstood his motives. If its the fact people are asking him what its like to work in a gym, and be a personal trainer, I was just stating that if he wants to give EX advice to move it.

and thanks for your moderating of me jesus without you the GD would be shit I forget the GD is the GD sometimes.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 12:48:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
whats the best supplement for energy and weight loss if poper diet isnt possbile. I w/o and exercise and seem to have platoed. Again proper diet just not possible right now.  14.2 bmi looking to drop about 10 more lbs

There really is no substitute for a healthy diet. I know it sound like bullshit but it's true.

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 12:49:56 PM EDT
[#43]
How good are steroids and HGH?
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 12:51:04 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

There really is no substitute for a healthy diet. I know it sound like bullshit but it's true.

a Plateau can mean many things tho not just diet. Change of methods, reps, sets, exercises may be your key.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 12:56:46 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hax

Not what I meant. Guess I missunderstood his motives. If its the fact people are asking him what its like to work in a gym, and be a personal trainer, I was just stating that if he wants to give EX advice to move it.

and thanks for your moderating of me jesus without you the GD would be shit I forget the GD is the GD sometimes.

I get paid to give exercise advice, this is just for fun. Plus there are so many people willing to give out such erroneous info I thoiught I could clear some of it up.  the exercise forum has many people giving out info that are not qualified at all.

T
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 12:56:53 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I love them both like they were my children  The Front, Back, and Overhead Squat as well as the Deadlift are the "Bread and Butter" of Functional Movement, and IMO anyone who is serious about exercise will get professional instruction in these lifts.

Overhead squats are a bit out of my realm for a lift, but let me ask you this, why do you think very few people do squats and deadlifts at gyms?  I sometimes feel I am taking up a bicep curl machine when I do squats because so many more people use it for that.

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 12:57:11 PM EDT
[#47]
What is your bf %?
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 12:58:34 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hax

I'm here to help.  

I thought you came into the thread a little heavy, so I cracked on you.  But hey, didn't mean to ruffle your feathers; carry on.

The forums all have some cross-talk of topic.  If the mods feel this one is misfiled, I imagine they'll be on it shortly.  I'm not in it for fitness advice, but am curious about the "life of a trainer" maybe.

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 1:00:47 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 1:01:06 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you teach squat as ass to grass, or thighs parallel to the floor?  And why?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top