Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/20/2010 7:51:25 AM EDT
Met the new boyfriend of a friend of mine. Found out thru conversation that his mom shot his dad and then herself when he was a kid and that consequently he hated pistols. He wanted to get to shoot a rifle but he never got the chance. After a bit of BSing he asked if I could take him out shooting AR's sometime and after a bit of talking about open carry (I open carry a G20) I showed him how to clear a pistol, and taught him basic pistol safety. And now I think he actually is going to go get his concealed pistol liscence and buy a handgun.

He literally went from being scared to touch a pistol to 2-hours later was holding it and could clear it and check safety, etc.

T
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 9:07:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Being in the dark on things produces the fear.  People fear what they do not understand.

Good job!
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 9:09:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Being in the dark on things produces the fear.  People fear what they do not understand.

Good job!

Yeah, I feel like people who have never shot a gun have very strange and unrealistic ideas of what a gun actually is. It's much easier to think of them as "tools" when you've actually used one.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 9:10:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Sorry to hear about his parents.  That's pretty messed up.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 9:12:56 AM EDT
[#4]
The pistol didn't shoot anyone. The coward mother did. Why do people plce blame on inanimate objects? "I don't like something X because it was used to kill my selfish mother."
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 9:13:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Met the new boyfriend of a friend of mine. Found out thru conversation that his mom shot his dad and then herself when he was a kid and that consequently he hated pistols. He wanted to get to shoot a rifle but he never got the chance. After a bit of BSing he asked if I could take him out shooting AR's sometime and after a bit of talking about open carry (I open carry a G20) I showed him how to clear a pistol, and taught him basic pistol safety. And now I think he actually is going to go get his concealed pistol liscence and buy a handgun.

He literally went from being scared to touch a pistol to 2-hours later was holding it and could clear it and check safety, etc.

T

I've said it many times.

Once you teach someone how a pistol works, exactly how it works, and that it is never capable of harm unti lthere is a bullet in the chamber...how all the magazine does is HOLD the bullets..all that. They are instantly unafraid of it.

It's really incredible when you think about it.

I'm afraid of spiders, but there aint a goddamned thing you can tell me, that's going ot make we walk over and pick one up with no fear of it.

ETA: I taught the ex gf how to disassemble a Glock in about 15 minutes. She went from being terrified when she saw it, to getting it off of the dresser and putting it on the coffee table when we were watching a movie on the couch.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 9:13:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Guns can be intimidating if you've never been around them growing up.

I shot 22's a tiny bit with friends of friends growing up.  When I first bought my glock I was nervous when I shot with it.  Went away fast though.  

Good job on your part!
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 9:18:43 AM EDT
[#7]
When My kids were younger I taught them about guns
to remove any fear or mysteriousness about them
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 9:29:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Had a friend(Dum ass) who failed to clear his gun after a hunting trip. His young son retrieved his shotgun and shot his sister thinking it was a game(I guess?) Now the kid is all grown  and messed up.

Sorry to the OP for getting off track. This thread reminded me of that.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 10:14:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Did the same thing with my own brother.

He called me a gun nut once, and he wasn't joking.

So....the first time he came to visit me in AZ I took him out for a 4 hour training/shooting session in the desert.

He fucking LOVED it. He'd never been "introduced" properly to firearms, believed all the media BS about guns.

From then on, whenever he'd come to visit he'd always ask, "Are we going shooting?"

He even ended up buying a .45 from me.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 10:23:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Good work on the conversion!

I like to convert anti EBR hunters.

Easy as hell.

You know what? They vote, too.

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 10:33:31 AM EDT
[#11]
nicely done!
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 10:33:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The pistol didn't shoot anyone. The coward mother did. Why do people plce blame on inanimate objects? "I don't like something X because it was used to kill my selfish mother."

If his mother had run his dad over with a car, would he hate automobiles?

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 10:38:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Knowledge is a powerful tool, and we as a community should never pass up an opportunity to get a person on our side.  I'm happy to say that I've minted four new gun owners myself...although I seem to have run out of raw material since I've moved to Texas.  
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 11:08:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was pretty much the analogy that I used on him.

T
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 11:13:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

only if she then ran over her self... (which would be an acomplishment...)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top