Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2010 6:13:28 AM EDT
I have.  I used to live on 49th and 9th in Hell's Kitchen.  He's up on 55th between 8th & Broadway I believe.

It's not really a shop like in Seinfeld.  More like a large window you walk up to.  I stood in line for about 15 mintues and waited.  Got up there and ordered the Lobster bisque like Elaine had.  It was 13 bucks for a small cup.  (If you don't know anything about NYC, everything is expensive except for food.  Food at most good restaurants is actually reasonably priced and your liquor tab is most likely going to be higher than food.)  Anyways, I got a banana and an orange and some bread.  I guess he just shoves in the bag whatever he feels like giving you.  That's where the bread joke with George Costanza comes in.

He does want to keep the line going so what he does is he won't hand you your change.  He reaches way over to the left and puts it on the counter.  Kind of odd but hey whatever works.

I had this lobster bisque and holy shit it was good.  It had real chunks of lobster in it.  Not diced little stringy peices, big ass chunks.  Also if you took any of his soups and put them in a strainer you'd have quite a meal left over still.  Lots of stuff in them, not just a bunch of broth.  I had to try the Mulligatawny like Kramer did and that was amazing.  It had these little things that I though were chicken but they turned out to be nuts.  He slow cooked the soup for so long that the variety of nuts in it actually became tender.  That was a wee bit cheeper than the Lobster Bisque.  He closed up shop before I had the chance to try the Jumbalya.  

Worth every penny though.  Anyone else?

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/07/19/new.york.soupman.reopening/index.html?hpt=Sbin

New York (CNN) –– Get in line, have your money ready and move to your extreme left –– Al Yeganeh, "the Original SoupMan," is back and re-opening his famed soup store Tuesday in midtown Manhattan.

Yeganeh and his Soup Kitchen International first rose to fame after he was caricatured in the long-running NBC TV show "Seinfeld" as the "Soup Nazi," a cranky and demanding soup-stand cook who bellowed "No soup for you!" to customers who didn't follow his strict rules for ordering.

Watch CNNMoney.com's report on the 'Soup Nazi'

Yeganeh, who first opened his shop in 1984, closed the store six years ago, but kept the lease to pursue franchise opportunities and a line of frozen soups with the Original SoupMan brand.

Chef Dan Rubano, who mentored with Yeganeh, was at the store a day before its re-opening, helping to set things up.

"We are keeping the original recipes and adding more to the menu," Rubano said.

Rubano didn't know whether Yeganeh would stop by for opening day, but said he's expected to make sporadic appearances.

According to the "Seinfeld" Web site, Yeganeh was at first unhappy with the publicity from the "Soup Nazi" episode and was quoted as saying he threatened to "smack" comedian Jerry Seinfeld's face.

Seinfeld, whose title character was banned during the "Soup Nazi" episode, declined to comment on the store's reopening.

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 6:29:14 AM EDT
[#1]
He sells his soups in frozen pouches too. Never tried one but sort of interested now. Probably doesn't taste as good as getting it straight from the soup man.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 8:04:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Yep, I even got the little "move over" hand gesture because I hadn't moved quick enough after ordering.  This was back in...'97 or so.

Expensive?  Yes.  Still worth every bit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top