Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/19/2010 6:21:25 PM EDT
I'm thinking I should get rid of my Education (Bachelor's Degree) - this is possibly overqualified for the $10hr jobs I'm applying for.

Not even 1 interview!

If this goes on for another month I'm going to put down Latino as race and do my best to "trick" the interviewer into believing that many Mexicans have brown hair, blue eyes and look French.

Link Posted: 7/19/2010 6:22:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, don't mention your degree.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 6:25:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Are you under the age of 42 and in reasonably good health?
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 6:25:57 PM EDT
[#3]
So you applied for 20 jobs with no call back, what are you planning on doing next week?

When I was laid off I put out at least that many applications per week. Heck I even put in a few applications for part-time, temporary work to try to get me thru.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 6:26:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 6:27:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Good luck Bud. 20 applications is not a whole lot to sit back on and hold your breather for an interview. Last time I was looking for work, I had to send out 200+ applications for 3-4 interviews. You better be sending out 20 applications a day for a a bunch of days in a row.

Also, find job fairs in your area. I've almost always gotten interviews from going to job fairs and being personable.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 6:29:22 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

You're not getting interviews?

How closely does your resume match the job description's skills, talents and abilities?

Job market is teh suck still in my area.

Last interview I went to, I was one of 200 interviewees out of an application pool of over 1000....FOR ONE FREEKIN TECH POSITION.

Economy's getting better my ass.

Nick

Link Posted: 7/19/2010 6:29:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Do you have a push mower? Look for some yards to cut in between applying for jobs. Good luck.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 6:31:13 PM EDT
[#8]
def leave off the education for shitty jobs, you might want to dock any real professional employment too.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 6:34:52 PM EDT
[#9]
I applied for well over 100 jobs and only got 3 interviews.  And of those three interviews, only one got me a job.

Continue trying.  Leave education on your resume.  Dont lie on your resume.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 6:36:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Whats your degree?
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 6:39:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Don't know if this will help you or not, but I once got a job by "pulling a Costanza".

Remember that episode of "Seinfeld" where George doesn't know if he got the job or not so he just decides to show as if he did get the job?  I kinda did the same thing - I put in my application in person at the office and the office secretary says "Well, we'll call if you're one of the accepted candidates who qualify for the training seminar next week.  Good day!"  Well, she didn't seem too acknowledging that I might be one of the seminar candidates so I figured I was screwed, and sure enough I did not recieve a call back.  But then I decided "hmmmmm ........why not show up at the seminar as if I got the call back?  If nothing else it'll be a story to tell".   So I dressed the part and showed up.  The guy runnng the thing did not have me on the list but I explained that my phone *went on the fritz* ( ) so I could not receive any calls but felt confident that I was getting a call back anyway so here I am.  Well it turned out that several of the guys that did get the call back did not show up anyway, and the firm must have been somewhat impressed by my moxie.  

Long story short I got the job.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 6:39:52 PM EDT
[#12]
20...pfff...amateur....I am up past 75.....  Luckily I have a job while I am looking for another one, but I get to commute from Austin to Houston during that time......blows big time.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 6:41:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Yep....Officer or atleast E4 and then apply for OCS.....

Link Posted: 7/19/2010 6:42:17 PM EDT
[#14]
After hundreds of applications I finally got a job although I'm making a little over a third of what I was making.  I had to suck it up and take a low paying job hoping it works into something better.  Good luck and don't give up!

Link Posted: 7/19/2010 6:42:58 PM EDT
[#15]
applied for over 1300 jobs within my company over the last 2.5 years.....got two interviews out of 1300+ applications.....
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 6:43:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Keep applying dude. I applied for over 30 jobs, had 3 interviews that resulted in one job.

Now that I'm re-employed, jobs seem to be coming to me.

It gets better, I promise.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 6:43:30 PM EDT
[#17]
20, LMAO. Get back to us when you hit 500...

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 6:45:28 PM EDT
[#18]
What area are you trying to get a career in?
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 6:56:58 PM EDT
[#19]
gov jobs are the worst for this

im applied for everything at state lvl im qualified for, and any fed positions as they become available

i get sporadic offers, a lot of times for places way the fuck away from me and my resources are so depleted i couldnt move if they hired me
almost every non LEO job with state and fed i've applied for that im qualified for i get beat out by young females, some of which after talking to more than a few minutes you realize must have been those dumb kunts in college who didnt know the subject matter and paid you to help them with their papers

at least someone will get to fuck them on a desk i guess lol

usajobs.com is piece of solidified gay and a huge pain in the ass

in the meantime im a coalminer

and whats stupid is none of those gov jobs pay as well as coalminer, just suck up the danger factor and mine coal i guess
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 6:58:12 PM EDT
[#20]
The days where you could just drop off a resume cold are greatly diminished.  In this age you really need a personal connection in the firm to seal the deal.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 6:58:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
20, LMAO. Get back to us when you hit 500...

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

in some areas 20 may be the limit, a lot of places simply are not hiring around here for example

other than 2 walmarts a kmart and a handful of gorcery stores or dollar stores there is nothing around here that will even accept an app without you having done a year or three at their speciality, without sales experience you cant even get a rent-a-center job
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 7:01:17 PM EDT
[#22]
im doing the same thing as you brother, i just graduated with my degree in may

so far nothing

thankfully i have a part time job in my field of study that pays descent while im on the search
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 7:04:55 PM EDT
[#23]
My wife has put in 184 applications in the last 15 months.  Several interviews, but I think her age ( 50+) is against her.  She had a phenomenal career at her old company but it means nothing in the long run.  One job she applied for had 500 applications within one week.  She was one of only 30 interviewed, but did not make it.  Very discouraging.  Keep at it.  Tough out there for sure.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 8:19:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Thanks for all the replies.... Yeah def won't do any type of Gov't work.  I'll eat canned beans all day before I worked for the Gov't.  Ok you can see I am a Libertarian.

Anyways, will drop the Social Sciences Degree (useless) off my resume for the Janitor jobs, something will pop up eventually (not starving)

I have relatives in California and Jersey who make $75k per year and live check to check since cost of living is so high, so living check to check as a Janitor isn't too bad.  I'll just pretend while mopping floors I'm an important Executive.  
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 8:24:15 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Don't know if this will help you or not, but I once got a job by "pulling a Costanza".

Remember that episode of "Seinfeld" where George doesn't know if he got the job or not so he just decides to show as if he did get the job?  I kinda did the same thing - I put in my application in person at the office and the office secretary says "Well, we'll call if you're one of the accepted candidates who qualify for the training seminar next week.  Good day!"  Well, she didn't seem too acknowledging that I might be one of the seminar candidates so I figured I was screwed, and sure enough I did not recieve a call back.  But then I decided "hmmmmm ........why not show up at the seminar as if I got the call back?  If nothing else it'll be a story to tell".   So I dressed the part and showed up.  The guy runnng the thing did not have me on the list but I explained that my phone *went on the fritz* ( ) so I could not receive any calls but felt confident that I was getting a call back anyway so here I am.  Well it turned out that several of the guys that did get the call back did not show up anyway, and the firm must have been somewhat impressed by my moxie.  

Friggin sweet! LOL

Link Posted: 7/19/2010 8:25:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Yeah, I've put in over 200 resumes in the past 22 months, to every job that could maybe even possibly fit with my background and experience.  About 50 of those were very close matches and about 10 were perfect matches.  I've only had two real interviews.  Didn't get any job offers.  I can't relocate due to the health of a family member (we have to stay close).

I found out that whenever a place has a professional position open around here they get upwards of 800-1000 applications.  HR departments are overwhelmed and can't possibly evaluate everyone.  It's a crapshoot to get hired.  

In my city there are over 9,000 unemployed.  There are only a few hundred jobs available at any given time.  It's crazy competitive, even for entry-level minimum wage jobs.

I've also put in about 200 applications at every part-time retail job in town.  I have no retail, customer service, warehouse, or sales experience, so they never even call back.

And no, I'm not under 42 and in good health.  Well, I am exactly 42, and have high blood pressure, torn up left knee, pre-diabetic, I'm losing my hearing, and I've got a herniated disc.  At the point the military would consider taking me, we've already lost the war.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 8:27:34 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/19/2010 8:37:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Yeah, I've put in over 200 resumes in the past 22 months, to every job that could maybe even possibly fit with my background and experience.  About 50 of those were very close matches and about 10 were perfect matches.  I've only had two real interviews.  Didn't get any job offers.  I can't relocate due to the health of a family member (we have to stay close).

I found out that whenever a place has a professional position open around here they get upwards of 800-1000 applications.  HR departments are overwhelmed and can't possibly evaluate everyone.  It's a crapshoot to get hired.  

In my city there are over 9,000 unemployed.  There are only a few hundred jobs available at any given time.  It's crazy competitive, even for entry-level minimum wage jobs.

I've also put in about 200 applications at every part-time retail job in town.  I have no retail, customer service, warehouse, or sales experience, so they never even call back.

And no, I'm not under 42 and in good health.  Well, I am exactly 42, and have high blood pressure, torn up left knee, pre-diabetic, I'm losing my hearing, and I've got a herniated disc.  At the point the military would consider taking me, we've already lost the war.

Really bad here too.  PhD's fighting for Domino's pizza jobs.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 8:44:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Get with a temp agency or a head hunter/ recruiter - a lot of companies are doing temp to hire these days.  It's a foot in the door and a situation where your Bachelors might give you a bit of a leg up.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 8:47:38 PM EDT
[#30]
wow 20 whole jobs
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 8:51:59 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep....Officer or atleast E4 and then apply for OCS.....

Hmmm. Tell me more about this.

Are NG units still being widely used for combat operations? What would be the best way to increase the chances of a combat deployment? If I join, I'd like to fight for my country.

Is BCT a vacation for those enlisting in the NG? An acquaintance of mine joined when we were in college. Judging from the fact that he posted an album on Facebook of pictures he took during training, it must have been pretty easy and the DIs were very lax.

Link Posted: 7/19/2010 8:52:28 PM EDT
[#32]

173 resumes sent; 5 interviews; 12 months and 2 weeks; 1 job offer.

I took it.

It lasted 5 months, now I'm selling roofs. My finance degree is finally paying off...
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 8:53:41 PM EDT
[#33]
It might be economic factors (local and otherwise) getting in the way.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 9:27:56 PM EDT
[#34]
It's a numbers game.  Keep going.

My company sells to larger companies and we ARE seeing them loosen up.  Keep the faith.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top