User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 7/19/2010 3:40:56 PM EDT

link

- FoxNews.com

- July 19, 2010
Video Shows USDA Official Saying She Didn't Give 'Full Force' of Help to White Farmer

A video has surfaced showing an Agriculture Department official regaling an NAACP audience with a story about how she withheld help to a white farmer facing bankruptcy –– video that now has forced the official to resign
fox news

Days after the NAACP clashed with Tea Party members over allegations of racism, a video has surfaced showing an Agriculture Department official regaling an NAACP audience with a story about how she withheld help to a white farmer facing bankruptcy –– video that now has forced the official to resign.

Shirley Sherrod, the department's Georgia director of Rural Development, is shown in the clip describing "the first time I was faced with having to help a white farmer save his farm." Sherrod, who is black, claimed the farmer took a long time trying to show he was "superior" to her. The audience laughed as she described how she determined his fate.

"He had to come to me for help. What he didn't know while he was taking all that time trying to show me he was superior to me was I was trying to decide just how much help I was going to give him," she said. "I was struggling with the fact that so many black people have lost their farmland and here I was faced with having to help a white person save their land –– so I didn't give him the full force of what I could do. I did enough."

The Agriculture Department announced Monday, shortly after FoxNews.com published its initial report on the video, that Sherrod had resigned.

"There is zero tolerance for discrimination at USDA, and I strongly condemn any act of discrimination against any person," Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack said in a written statement. "We have been working hard through the past 18 months to reverse the checkered civil rights history at the department and take the issue of fairness and equality very seriously.

Sherrod explained in the video that, at the time, she assumed the state or national Department of Agriculture had referred the white farmer to her. In order to ensure that the farmer could report back that she was indeed helpful, she said she took him to see "one of his own" –– a white lawyer.

"I figured that if I take him to one of them, that his own kind would take care of him," she said.

The video clip was first posted by BigGovernment.com. The clip is dated March 27 from an NAACP Freedom Fund banquet.

FoxNews.com is seeking a response from both the NAACP and the USDA. The clip adds to the firestorm of debate over the NAACP's decision to approve a resolution at its convention last week accusing some Tea Party activists of racism –– a charge Tea Party leaders deny.

In a second clip from the same event posted online, Sherrod appeared to urge black job seekers to find work at the Department of Agriculture because the federal government won't lay people off.

"There are jobs at USDA and many times there are no people of color to fill those jobs because we shy away from agriculture. We hear the word agriculture and think, why are we working in the fields?" she said. "You've heard of a lot of layoffs. Have you heard of anybody in the federal government losing their job? That's all I need to say."

Link Posted: 7/19/2010 3:43:13 PM EDT
[#1]

This land is your land.
This land is my land.

This land was made for you and me.

Link Posted: 7/19/2010 3:44:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Turd in the punchbowl time:

Why is it the Federal government's business to bail farmers, car makers, bankers or anyone else out?
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 3:44:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Sweet!
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 3:44:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I have nothing to say, that wouldn't result in me being banned from this site.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 3:47:07 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Why is it the Federal government's business to bail farmers, car makers, bankers or anyone else out?

Votes.  That's how you buy them.

Link Posted: 7/19/2010 3:47:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

+1. A special place in hell. Thats all im saying.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 3:47:50 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

This X 10!!!
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 3:49:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Unpossible, black people can't be racist. Move along.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 3:49:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Oddly enough, racism is color blind.

Link Posted: 7/19/2010 3:51:25 PM EDT
[#10]

Anyone want to bet this is not an isolated circumstance?  Our .gov is rife with this bureaucratic bigotry. Give just two seconds consideration to who's at the top of the justice(for some) department for example.

Link Posted: 7/19/2010 3:52:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Yup!
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 3:52:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Racist whooooooore.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 3:54:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I think you accidentally replied to the wrong thread.  This thread is about a black employee of the USDA who used race as a criteria for providing the services her department is tasked with; you were trying to respond to a thread about the proper functions of the Federal government.  Its an easy mistake to make if you have too many windows open.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 3:54:52 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

link

"You've heard of a lot of layoffs. Have you heard of anybody in the federal government losing their job? That's all I need to say."

ROFL !!

Great closing words for someone that got 'resigned' because of them.

Link Posted: 7/19/2010 3:56:46 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm sure the Holder powered DOJ will get right on this.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 3:58:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Mugabe will give her a job.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 3:58:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Quoted:

This X 10!!!

Great, now the site staff has to not ban you ten times.  Do you know how much paperwork that's going to create?
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 3:59:34 PM EDT
[#18]
She must be one of those Tea Party people the NAACP was talking about.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 4:01:55 PM EDT
[#19]
woops
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 4:02:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

You and me both brother! heh! heh!
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 4:02:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
...In a second clip from the same event posted online, Sherrod appeared to urge black job seekers to find work at the Department of Agriculture because the federal government won't lay people off.

"There are jobs at USDA and many times there are no people of color to fill those jobs because we shy away from agriculture. We hear the word agriculture and think, why are we working in the fields?" she said. "You've heard of a lot of layoffs. Have you heard of anybody in the federal government losing their job? That's all I need to say."

How quaint: 1 problem calling out another.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 4:06:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Quoted:

You get that cotton pickin logic out of this thread, buddy.

TRG
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 4:06:26 PM EDT
[#23]
How many more are never caught.

Link Posted: 7/19/2010 4:06:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Brieghtbart has said he has a barrel full of vids like this and told the NAACP they start condemning the tea party hes gonna release um
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 4:06:46 PM EDT
[#25]
This video needs to go on You Tube and other video sites so it can go viral and show the true nature of the NAACP and crush them once and for all.

If this isn't a case of racism ( reverse racism ) I dont knwo what is.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 4:09:30 PM EDT
[#26]
She should be commended for her forthright honesty.  Her mistake is failing to understand that her form of racism is not yet accepted in this country.  Her second mistake is in acknowledging what most people know - the Federal Government is hiring people while other governmental entities and the private sector are laying people off.

What would be interesting would be to learn if the organization that had her speak would vote a censure.  If so, ok.  If not, it is also ok.  Just telling you a lot about the organization
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 4:12:41 PM EDT
[#27]
So how long till she is promoted?
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 4:14:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Brieghtbart has said he has a barrel full of vids like this and told the NAACP they start condemning the tea party hes gonna release um

release them regardless...
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 4:16:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
So how long till she is promoted hired by the Center for American Progress?

Fixed.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 4:17:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
This video needs to go on You Tube and other video sites so it can go viral and show the true nature of the NAACP and crush them once and for all.

If this isn't a case of racism ( reverse racism ) I dont knwo what is.

There is no such thing as "reverse racism" only racism.

And I daresay there is more racism against white people than any other race in America at this point in time.

Link Posted: 7/19/2010 4:18:22 PM EDT
[#31]
The NAACP is and should be branded a RACISIST organization and be banded from any involvement with the United States Government.  Membership in it should be dealt with along the same lines and the K.K.K.  

Link Posted: 7/19/2010 4:18:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
So how long till she is promoted hired by the Center for American Progress?

Fixed.

I'm sure ACORN, or the SEIU will pick her up. She's already shown how qualified she is!!!
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 4:18:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I agree with you completely, it's not.  However, if the government is going to do it, they'd better not discriminate on the basis of what color skin someone has.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 4:19:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think you accidentally replied to the wrong thread.  This thread is about a black employee of the USDA who used race as a criteria for providing the services her department is tasked with; you were trying to respond to a thread about the proper functions of the Federal government.  Its an easy mistake to make if you have too many windows open.

I almost fell out of my chair.  That was good.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 4:19:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Zimbabwe anyone?

Link Posted: 7/19/2010 4:21:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Some people just feel the need to wage war in whatever way they can.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 4:30:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By This Thread:
The NAACP

yeah...

Link Posted: 7/19/2010 4:32:46 PM EDT
[#38]
40 acres and a mule?
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 4:33:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

You get that cotton pickin logic out of this thread, buddy.

TRG

THAT'S... oh never mind.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 4:38:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Just saw that on Fox, it sure is a good thing you have to be white to be racist or she'd have real problems.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 4:42:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Hate Crime ?
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 4:50:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Now there is a woman with a good job who would probably be sweet as pie to you if you met her on the street.

Makes you wonder.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 4:51:13 PM EDT
[#43]
10 to 1 she got that job via affirmative action.  
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 4:53:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

This. They don't want equality, they want superiority.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 4:56:10 PM EDT
[#45]
This is my shocked face.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 4:59:05 PM EDT
[#46]
Classy
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 4:59:55 PM EDT
[#47]
There is a silver lining to this dark cloud. . . . .you know the audience was all black. Had to be.  And somebody from "the other side" leaked that video to the proper outlets.

Not all blacks hate whites.  I take great comfort in that.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 5:00:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. They don't want equality, they want superiority.

yep.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 5:01:14 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

So you want to go on a tirade and throw racial slurs?

What you posted is just the same, only super-mega half-ass.

I can't imagine what else you might of said that would get you banned.

You could have said something like, "that farmer should sue the government because of that racist cunt", and not violate the CoC, but you didn't.

Link Posted: 7/19/2010 5:01:44 PM EDT
[#50]
Wow! Just, wow.....
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top